Coaches Do Not Trust Our Players...

åntcap24

Nolan does not trust our players to be able to blitz on 3rd and 19. I don't blame him. Would you trust DeCoud to make the tackle in the open field? Our playcalling on offense if solely based on the fact that we do not trust our Oline. Until our 2nd stringers prove on the field they can get the job done, we have to play bandaid football. Hate it all you will, but our roster is depicting the way the coaches are calling it.

Edited by åntcap24

I don't believe that. Each player knows their assignment and knows when they messed up making the call look bad. If Dent and McClain do their proper drops, then the play doesn't go as it did on 3rd and 19. If Jackson or Toilolo doesn't drop the TD passes, our season is different. Players are not executing. Film will show that. They still trust their coaches, need to perform.

I don't believe that. Each player knows their assignment and knows when they messed up making the call look bad. If Dent and McClain do their proper drops, then the play doesn't go as it did on 3rd and 19. If Jackson or Toilolo doesn't drop the TD passes, our season is different. Players are not executing. Film will show that. They still trust their coaches, need to perform.

Even if caught, I don't think he had two feet in.

I agree there's something to this. You hear Smitty say "we have to put them in a position to make plays". Translated this means you run shorter routes to protect the OL, you chip with the TE to protect the tackles, you run zone to protect the defenders from getting beat in man.

But I'm not sure that's the way it should be approached. Maybe at critical times when you can't afford to miss. But I think you need to go into the game, especially early on, with the assumption that your team is gonna "rise up" (pun intended) and play at or above their heads. When a great athlete is challenged, they usually respond. And even if these guys aren't necessarily the most talented players in the NFL, to even GET to the NFL you have to be a very, very, very good athlete.

Blitzing Brady statistically is not wise. Smart pocket passes like him, Manning, and even Ryan generally do better at finding the open man when blitzed because someone is not in coverage. You can't do the same thing every time either way, but I don't fault a decision to keep everything on front of 8 men on 3-19, I just question the execution that opened some windows in coverage.

Besides you could argue 3 man rush had faith just those 3 could get pressure without needing blitz help before WR can get open on 3-19.

Now on offense I do think our playcalling shows distrust in run blocking or 7 step drop pass blocking, so we call 50 short pass plays to 10 run plays on a game. That is unbalanced.

A point or two about coaching that I steadfastly believe in:

A truly good coach, at any level, is open-minded, creative, anticipating, and always adapting... and I mean ALWAYS, as in play to play, and applies this mindset and approach to all they do so that they are constantly finding new ways to be at least one step ahead of the opponent... and preferably about 3 touchdowns ahead in the process while trying to widen the lead.

The Coach that I want is capable of, and strives to, compensate for his players' weaknesses while placing them in positions to deliver good results by maximizing their strengths... and do it so much better than his opponent, that even when his players fail in execution from time to time, that most games are still won by a couple touchdowns consistently.

Just a couple of possible examples: (1) use the Matt Ryan No-Huddle as your base scheme on offense. He is Dammmm good at it!! (2) throw a Fade and/or Jump Ball pass to Julio in the redzone for crying out loud!!

I don't care what you trust, I know one thing I trust. When you do the same thing over and over again without success, yet you still expect a different outcome, that is defined as insanity. Plain and simple if what you are doing doesn't work, REPEATEDLY, what do you have to lose to try something different?

Our offense is moving the ball. Its not like we are struggling between the 20's. I believe our team is not being respected in the red zone to pound the rock. Therefore we are getting less LB worried about the run and dropping into coverage making it difficult to throw with less room to spread the D. If we had an online or Sjax back we could give a better threat opening up on options.

I don't care what you trust, I know one thing I trust. When you do the same thing over and over again without success, yet you still expect a different outcome, that is defined as insanity. Plain and simple if what you are doing doesn't work, REPEATEDLY, what do you have to lose to try something different?

This^^

This is my biggest complaint about our coaches. They are either insane or flat out stubborn.

Our offense is moving the ball. Its not like we are struggling between the 20's. I believe our team is not being respected in the red zone to pound the rock. Therefore we are getting less LB worried about the run and dropping into coverage making it difficult to throw with less room to spread the D. If we had an online or Sjax back we could give a better threat opening up on options.

My quote was specifically aimed at the soft defense on third downs. It would be aimed at the redzone offense right now, but at least they have seen the light enough to say they are adding/removing some redzone plays. We will see how that works out. No doubt we move the ball, but that doesn't win games.

A point or two about coaching that I steadfastly believe in:

A truly good coach, at any level, is open-minded, creative, anticipating, and always adapting... and I mean ALWAYS, as in play to play, and applies this mindset and approach to all they do so that they are constantly finding new ways to be at least one step ahead of the opponent... and preferably about 3 touchdowns ahead in the process while trying to widen the lead.

The Coach that I want is capable of, and strives to, compensate for his players' weaknesses while placing them in positions to deliver good results by maximizing their strengths... and do it so much better than his opponent, that even when his players fail in execution from time to time, that most games are still won by a couple touchdowns consistently.

Just a couple of possible examples: (1) use the Matt Ryan No-Huddle as your base scheme on offense. He is Dammmm good at it!! (2) throw a Fade and/or Jump Ball pass to Julio in the redzone for crying out loud!!

100% agree with ^^^^

Sadly, this does not describe Smith.

Trust goes a lot further than our coach's don't trust our players. In some cases the players don't trust the players

I personally blame it mostly on lack of confidence. People say we don't have depth, but I don't see anything really much different than last year IMO. I think Sjax being out hurts us the worst not so much for him as a player but the confidence Dirk would have with him in there inside the 20. The only difference in our play this year and the last couple of years is the record. We are still the same team.

I personally blame it mostly on lack of confidence. People say we don't have depth, but I don't see anything really much different than last year IMO. I think Sjax being out hurts us the worst not so much for him as a player but the confidence Dirk would have with him in there inside the 20. The only difference in our play this year and the last couple of years is the record. We are still the same team.

I agree. One thing though, how can anyone say we don't have depth when half the time, the bench guys don't even see any significant time to prove themselves outside of preseason. You got all these defensive ends yet it takes a player getting injured for them to get a real shot. I remember us actually having a rotation at one point of time, would love to know what happened to it. You got more receivers with talent on this team yet their pretty much in as a decoy the majority of the time. You have a running back capable of being a starter and has remained loyal to this team yet you go out and waste money on a big name instead of drafting a 3rd stringer. I can keep going but i won't lol.

I agree. One thing though, how can anyone say we don't have depth when half the time, the bench guys don't even see any significant time to prove themselves outside of preseason. You got all these defensive ends yet it takes a player getting injured for them to get a real shot. I remember us actually having a rotation at one point of time, would love to know what happened to it. You got more receivers with talent on this team yet their pretty much in as a decoy the majority of the time. You have a running back capable of being a starter and has remained loyal to this team yet you go out and waste money on a big name instead of drafting a 3rd stringer. I can keep going but i won't lol.

I don't know man. The we don't have depth myth is just that, a myth. We have good depth and I agree we never would rotate like we should. How on earth anyone can have an opinion on Davis and Cone is beyond me. We have to be the only team that doesn't utilize our 4-5 wr's and I mean that as even seeing the field. Like you say, even when they do they are a decoy. How about calling some plays specifically for them. We did it last year with Drew Davis and boom, touchdown. I'm not saying these guys are world beaters but heck, the other teams don't even have to look at them because when they are there it's just to look pretty.

I'm torn on the rb issue. I personally love Sjax and what he could bring to the table and would love to see him have postseason success for once. But I agree that Snelling gives 1200 percent and works his *** off just to have a job. I don't know what would have been best in that situation. But as of right now, we might as well have not signed him. Who knows what he will do when he gets back though. I wish we would at least let Vaughn carry the ball a couple times right now while we have the chance. Those guys are hungry man. Again, lots of other teams utilize all their active rb's. Vaughn may as well have not been active the other day. We keep people around for emergencies and nothing else. What do we have to lose at this point? Just try it. These guys are on the team for a reason, if we aren't going to use them release them and sign someone we will make use of.

have to be the only team that doesn't utilize our 4-5 wr's and I mean that as even seeing the field. Like you say, even when they do they are a decoy. How about calling some plays specifically for them.

this is the main reason why I said in some cases the players don't trust other players. I know plays are mainly drawn up for the big 3 and Quizz in the passing game but why not look toward the other guys a little bit more.

I agree with ya though on everything. I hope Jax can bring life back to the running game but I hope they don't just completely avoid using Snelling once he comes back

this is the main reason why I said in some cases the players don't trust other players. I know plays are mainly drawn up for the big 3 and Quizz in the passing game but why not look toward the other guys a little bit more.

I agree with ya though on everything. I hope Jax can bring life back to the running game but I hope they don't just completely avoid using Snelling once he comes back

Me neither, keep him fresh and screw people's fantasy up with a rb committee....tongue.png I wouldn't mind if we fail some as long as we diversify it a bit, would make the pill easier to swallow knowing we tried everything and everybody.

Also back to the depth thing, we have great depth. But at some positions people are confused because in certain areas that is all we have is depth. Like the O-line and DT. I love Babineaux as much as the next person but we have to have someone better than that. Peters is depth and I'm not going to even comment on Jerry and rile folks up. I think Massaquoi has been stunted a bit by lack of play but that excuse will cease to exist really soon.