2014 O-Line Fix

Nivek843SAV

Our O-Line is what it is this year. I say spend tons of money on the O-Line

Bring in these guys:

Jared Veldheer and or Branden Albert

Joe Reitz

Kevin Boothe

Online would look something like this

LT= Branden Albert, LG= Joe Reitz, C= Konz, RG = Kevin Boothe, RT = Jared Veldheer.

To sign these guys, I would let the following guys walk:

Baker( major cap hit I know)

SJax (who needs him with a line like that)

Blalock( gets blown up at the point of contact far to much for me)

Steven Nicholas(young cheap LB's that can play)

Thomas Decoud (need I say more)

Save money on Tony Retirement

Attempt to resture Roddy, with more upfront money less cap hit.

Osi U( not much out of him. Young cheap guys can give us what he brings)

Draft a young hungry running back and a solid TE.

too much change at once.

And besides, when he learns how to prepare as a professional, Holmes will be a terrific player !

This is not the first time Ive read about Holmes' work ethics... This oline is missing some experienced leaders. Once that is found, I think things should improve. I mean.. this particular group of men have just gone through an overhaul pretty much. But if the Falcons are waiting on one of the current olinemen to step up and lead...that should have already happened by now. Same goes for other the rest of the team.

Nope. You DO NOT blow up a OLine in one day. All needs to be done is cut Holmes and sign Koudijha (sp) from Bama and our line is set. Your line is only strong as the weakest link. One bad player makes the rest of the line bad. No need for an overhaul just drop the dead weight and we good.

Your DNA must have degraded, or have been defective. This level of stupidity is quite rare. Are you, perhaps, a government experiment to see just how stupid a human being can possibly be?

Your DNA must have degraded, or have been defective. This level of stupidity is quite rare. Are you, perhaps, a government experiment to see just how stupid a human being can possibly be?

If a member of my family was one of the worst players in the history of my favorite team then I would be upset too. Your eye for talent rivals that of a six year old. The simple fact that you believe Holmes has what it takes to be a solid tackle shows exactly why you never made it. Holmes has been here 2 years and was benched for a guy who has been here 2 weeks. Not to mention, this guy is the most penalized tackle in the last 10 years. In my time on this board, you haven't been correct about ANY player yet, while I'm batting 1.000. OlineGuru it used to be right???? hahhahahahaha. Don't make me own you, Rob. Go sit down and have a Big Mac.

Lol

He's actually not too far off. You just hate Holmes for some reason. Holmes has played quite well in the first half this year considering his inexperience. Once he gets conditioned he should be a pretty good player. If nothing else he'll be a very good backup. I'm not saying he's the next Joe Thomas, but he can at least be serviceable.

Edited by EightyEight

If a member of my family was one of the worst players in the history of my favorite team then I would be upset too. Your eye for talent rivals that of a six year old. The simple fact that you believe Holmes has what it takes to be a solid tackle shows exactly why you never made it. Holmes has been here 2 years and was benched for a guy who has been here 2 weeks. Not to mention, this guy is the most penalized tackle in the last 10 years. In my time on this board, you haven't been correct about ANY player yet, while I'm batting 1.000. OlineGuru it used to be right???? hahhahahahaha. Don't make me own you, Rob. Go sit down and have a Big Mac.

He got benched because he's naturally a LT and isn't very good at run blocking yet..

Nope. You DO NOT blow up a OLine in one day. All needs to be done is cut Holmes and sign Koudijha (sp) from Bama and our line is set. Your line is only strong as the weakest link. One bad player makes the rest of the line bad. No need for an overhaul just drop the dead weight and we good.

really stupid post, one player doesn't make the whole line bad you dumb azz

really stupid post, one player doesn't make the whole line bad you dumb azz

What????

You ever played football kid. If one guy is constantly getting pushed back it creates gaps allowing defenders to get in the backfield. Bullrush Holmes and run a stunt and whoever Blaylock is checking will have 2-3 sacks, but the idiots will blame the wrong linemen. If u wanna talk football with me make sure you know what your talking about.

Well, where do you work? If there was someone there far more experienced that came in, wouldn't you expect them to be better at the job? Experience goes a long way.

True. This is very true but in order to dethrone me you gonna need more then experience. You're going to have to prove you can do the job better then I can. If you we're really any good why would your company let you go is the question. One of the keys to running a successful business is identifying, retaining, and utilizing key employees. This practice works in all forms of industry. Kingpins not gonna let the best dealers go. Pimps don't let there bottom chicks go. Hospitals keep their top doctors. Teams keep their best players. Trueblood was a FA available after the PS which probably means he wasn't/isn't one of the top players/producers in this game.

True. This is very true but in order to dethrone me you gonna need more then experience. You're going to have to prove you can do the job better then I can. If you we're really any good why would your company let you go is the question. One of the keys to running a successful business is identifying, retaining, and utilizing key employees. This practice works in all forms of industry. Kingpins not gonna let the best dealers go. Pimps don't let there bottom chicks go. Hospitals keep their top doctors. Teams keep their best players. Trueblood was a FA available after the PS which probably means he wasn't/isn't one of the top players/producers in this game.

At this point, the Falcons don't need the best, they just need something better than a stop sign.tongue.png

This is not a fantasy league. You don't hire and fire players for immediate gains. The salary cap basically prohibits that sort of strategy.

In my opinion, our OL is the problem with our offense. And, the weakest link is at RG. Let me explain. We have a right-handed QB. As you all know, that means that his blind side is on the left of the offense. For that reason, you must have your best pass blockers on the left side of the line. As it happens, that is exactly what we have. Baker (when healthy) is a good pass blocker. The same goes for Blalock. However, neither player is really good at run blocking. That is the price we have had to pay to protect our QB's back side.

If the left side of the line is where our best pass blockers are, it stands to reason that our best run blockers should be positioned to the right of center. Here is where the problems begin. We simply do not have a good run blocker at RG. Reynolds, Gunn and even Johnson are not road graders. They are all less than mediocre. Trueblood, the new guy, is better at pass blocking than run blocking. That is OK because he will usually face a lighter, quicker pass rusher than our RG. So, if we have to give up some run blocking quality in order to assure that Ryan gets his protection, so be it.

Let's get back to the RG position. Why is this so important? Because we must have a real threat to run the ball at all times. With a road grading RG, we will always have the ability to gain three yards. That means that defenses must put more bodies in the box. If you look at our red zone opportunities, you will see that defenses do not stack the box against us. They do not feel the need. Hence, they drop back more bodies and can cover our receivers more tightly in the compressed area known as the red zone.

We fail because we can not run the ball between the tackles.

Now, we can go out and buy the best OL's in the league. That will break the bank and leave us without play makers. I suggest we move to upgrade the RG position in the off season. That should be our main focus.

A lot of people have been slamming our LT's. I understand the frustration, but Baker is injured and is gutting out this season. And, Holmes is still learning the position. I feel comfortable with the combination of Baker and Holmes at LT. Baker will get healthy again and Holmes will develop into a good LT. Let's give him time. It will pay off handsomely in the future. Once the LT position gets straightened out, then Blalock will be able to concentrate on a more limited responsibility. He will look a lot better as well.

Edited by etherdome

Right now is more like a yield or blinking yellow light a stop sign would give Ryan at least 3 secs

True. D-Lineman are pretty easily distracted. Can you imagine if we could afford 5 revolving doors for the the O-line? The d-lineman would just get stuck and Matt would have all day!

True. D-Lineman are pretty easily distracted. Can you imagine if we could afford 5 revolving doors for the the O-line? The d-lineman would just get stuck and Matt would have all day!

Maybe we can hire the people who built the Ferris wheel to come up with something to replace our OLine or trap doors in the new stadium so the defenders fall thru the depths of he77 for attempting to sack Ryan.