Panthers Lb Beason Traded

sdogg

It's been reported before that Nicks is on the trade block for the Giants. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the trade, Panthers need WR help badly.

I know they're 0-4 and since they just gave the contract to Cruz maybe they don't want to deal with the prospect of having to shell out that $$$ for another WR. Especially one that is often injured but I'd still be pretty shocked to see him being dealt.

Smart move by Carolina's new GM. He's trying to clean the giant mess made by Marty Hurney. The contract Hurney gave Jon Beason would've meant a 10.5M cap hit next year and 11.5 in 2015. That's a ton of money wrapped up in a guy who hasn't been able to stay on the field.

I think for Nicks and a draft pick.

From NFL.com:

The Panthers have agreed to a trade that would send Beason to the New York Giants in exchange for a late-round draft pick, a source informed of the process told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport on Thursday night. The deal is contingent on Beason passing a Friday physical, which is no certainty considering his checkered injury history.

Beason was one of my favorite LBs in the NFL -- he was really a BEAST before he got hurt. His talent was on par with Patrick Willis, he was just on a much worse team. There was a team where he was recognized as being that good.

Hopefully he can regain his form as a NY Giant. They haven't had a good ILB since Antonio Pierce left, and Pierce wasn't even great he was just good. I loved Mark Herzlich in college at BC, he was a guy who could have entered Heisman territory as a defender before he had to stop playing for a while because of his leg issue. I don't think he ever fully regained his explosiveness because he was a real animal at BC. Even so, if Beason emerges as a game changing MLB then it's possible that Herzlich could move back to his natural 4-3 SLB where he was an All-American at BC and together they can make many plays. I'm really pulling for both of them.

Now I don't need to feel bad at all for loving Jon Beason and his rare ability as an inside LB, which is great.

~~~~ As for the Hakeem Nicks stuff, I'm shocked the Panthers didn't do everything they could to use Beason (plus draft picks) to land Hakeem Nicks, who went to UNC and loves Carolina. Cam can't get better unless his weapons get better. Brandon LaFell has developed decently, as he has gone from awful to an okay #2 -- but he'd be a great #3 which would allow Steve Smith to move into the slot in 3 WR sets and LaFell and his 6'3 frame could win on the outside vs. a horrible CB. If Cam had Hakeem Nicks and Steve Smith as his top 2 WRs, LaFell as his #3 WR and Greg Olsen at TE, then the Panthers would have a truly scary offense. Plus their impressive RB stable of D-Will who has found the fountain of youth this season showing great explosiveness in his running, Mike Tolbert as the pass blocker and goal line plunge guy, Jon Stewart on their bench who at this point they should trade for a WR or a secondary player like a CB, and K. Barner who is a speedy receiving back.