Does The "fire Smith" Crowd Feel We Have Reached A "plateau"?

I'm curious.....because the last time ownership felt we had reached a "plateau" and though a change was necessary they fired Leeman Bennett, the most successful coach they had employed up to that point, and hired Dan Henning and that sent the franchise into about a twenty year long tailspin. Of course, I don't expect a lot of you folks who think the history of the Falcons begins with Mike Vick to remember that but it was a valuable lesson that those of us who witnessed it need to point out. How does the saying go? "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

Edited by Falc_Fan_Since_Six

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have hit a bump in the road, not a plateau. Some people say that everyone plays with injuries. Get real, few teams are playing with the injuries to key players like the Falcons are. I am not happy with the record but I realize that we have been in each game and with the exception of a few plays would be at least 3-1. How they play the rest of the year will tell if they have hit a plateau or not. They have not faced adversity like this before.

Ive said this many times on this board. History doesnt mean ****. The people who are too afraid to repeat mistakes are the ones that always do. Everything is completely different from 30 years ago. None of that has any bearing on future events.

I dont want Smith gone but this is like saying I fell down the stairs once so now everytime I go down them I will fall.

I'm curious.....because the last time ownership felt we had reached a "plateau" and though a change was necessary they fired Leeman Bennett, the most successful coach they had employed up to that point, and hired Dan Henning and that sent the franchise into about a twenty year long tailspin. Of course, I don't expect a lot of you folks who think the history of the Falcons begins with Mike Vick to remember that but it was a valuable lesson that those of us who witnessed it need to point out. How does the saying go? "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

Mike Smith, is this you?

If you hadn't noticed there brainiac. We are on the opposite side of the plateau. You know, the side that goes downward.

OH geez, I see the village idiot has invaded another one of my threads. Tell me, isn't it difficult for a person like you to get on the internet? I mean I would think it would be an overly complex task for you to master. Oh I know, maybe someone sets it up for you. At any rate, I'm proud of you for trying so hard!

There is a kind of dark insidious part of me that hopes they fire Mike Smith....just so I can have the satisfaction of saying "I told you so" But then, I want whats best for the franchise I've supported through thick and thin, a lot more thin, for forty six years so I hope Smith is here for a good while longer. The notion that history means nothing is ridiculous and it's not just the Falcons history. The league is littered with teams whose owners change coaches every few years looking for the quick fix and the fix has never come. Wonder how the Carolina fans feel about John Fox these days....

Wonder how the Carolina fans feel about John Fox these days....

That argument is not ever a good one. Circumstances, sometimes more than the coach, dictate success or failure. John Fox could not duplicate in Carolina what he is doing in Denver, because the situations are different, and Peyton Manning is the biggest difference. That is the problem with hiring successful head coaches and hoping for the same results. There are so many variables between coaching situations like the owner and the talent. Sometimes a team has so much talent it would be hard for the coach to lose, ala Barry Switzer. Sometimes the talent is so bad it would be hard for any coach to win, ala Bellichick in Cleveland. Other times another coach can take the same talent and push them to another level or he can take them down to new low. At times, the teams personality mixing well with that of the coach makes a big difference, in fact, it can make all the difference, ala Jon Gruden and Tony Dungy.

The Falcons under the old ownership, was a place that would be hard for any coach to succeed. but now, under Blank, I think any number of coaches could succeed, and even possibly do better. Not only that with the culture under Blank, coaches and players want to come here, and that is a drastic departure from the past. Back then nobody wanted to come to the Falcons, so they ended up with Marion Campbell a second time.

How long was it that the Steelers stuck with Cowher? I think there were a couple of bad seasons thrown in there with the good. Much as I hate to cite New Orleans as an example of doing anything right, didn't Payton have some playoff failures and something like a 6-10 season thrown in there before taking his team to the Superbowl? Don't even get me started on the list of teams who have looked for the quick fix and have still done nothing.... Raiders, Bucs, Panthers.... Firing the most successful coach in franchise history over a 1-3 start is the most ludicrous idea that I've heard in a long time..... Thankfully, I think AB looks at examples like I've cited and has more common sense than some of the posters on this message board.... I still never will forget the day the Smiths uttered the word "plateau". It had to be one of the darkest days in Falcons history and that's for a franchise that has had many a dark day. I'm done posting on this subject. It's time to focus on the Jets and getting this team back on a winning track.

Guest Cally307a

We hit a plataeu last year, We had an offense that was primed to put up 40 points a game, a defense that capitalized against teams in desperate throw mode. We had players that had yet to realize that Smith was the problem not the answer.

Had we realized that turner was terrible, and ran Snelling and Rogers all game instead of beating turner, we would have won the Superbowl........that is my promise.

We had a coach that was satisfied that the best thing for him was not to have a ****** showing in the postseason vs actually going for the throat and winning.

There is no excuse for back to back 3 score leads to be blown at home playing to run out the game. There were no excuses to hand the ball to turner essentially saying that 2 mins off the clock is more important than scoring with an entire half left to play.

There are no excuses for our second half lulls meaning only one thing. Lack of adjustment on both offense and defense.

This squad lacks inginuity, winning mentality, belief, they continue to be insane= same actions excpecting different results.

They have essentially floated along with the most offensive firepower in the league for 3 straight years and have failed to understand what they are good at and how to use it to best succeed at winning.

We have gone for it when we had no business,

Haven't gone for it when we had no other choice just to net a 16 yard punt and need our weakest link to stop a high powered offense into getting ten yards.

The Funny thing was, after we went for it on 4th and short with by far the better half of our team, the most capable of winning half, we still would have needed to stop them for that same ten yards so we would have had the chance to do the same anyhow we just lose 14-16 yds of field position. Which is an easy decision considering but not for this coaching staff. They hadn't even planned for that because they don't plan for anything it seems. They just panic and make sporadic calls as things pop up in games.

Example:

We have been penalized for challenging unchallengable plays

We have had the poorest of clock management in crucial season changing losses where we just needed a few more seconds.

We have blamed execution, and mistakes by players for every loss and never once blamed a coach, a call, or poor clock management

we are the laughing stock of the NFL

There are only 5 or 6 teams even on our level, yet we played coached down to any team, and lose to every above 500 team .

The only teams that have a right giving us a run for our money

New England, when Healthy

Denver

NO

New England put it too us with absolutely nobody even there and were up 20 points on us.

Theres no way a rookie qb should come in our house and rock the field up and down for 27 unanswered points in the championship game. One score and its over, instead we try to run a half out. JAGUAR FOOTBALL..........just like the days with Garrard against Manning..........just shorten the game so we dont get our ***** beat.

its pathetic.

If being above five hundred is all you guys are here for then i see why you love smitty and turner and safe

**** in any given year half the NFL is 500

We have elite talent, and that window, that talent, those players only stay uninjured, for a few years out of 11, and you need to win, and we were handed our Trophy, and we decided to let the other team decide if we got it instead of taking it ourselves,

Thats the difference between winners and good teams, Elite and pretty good,

Mike Smith Sucks,

Hes a supposed defensive guru, we havent had a defense yet?

Ruined 5 grade a pass rushers

2 pro bowl cornerbacks,

2 defensive tackles

and ruined a 2 time superbowl winning team into a 1 win in how many homefield advantages??????????

Seriously BRO

MIKE SMITH equals Jason garrett doing so little with so much, He equals the saints interim coach last year He takes an elite talent and makes them average, whereas the harbaughs, the BIll B, the real coaches take average and make them elite.

Backups, undrafted FA, and all

Edited by Cally307a

OH geez, I see the village idiot has invaded another one of my threads. Tell me, isn't it difficult for a person like you to get on the internet? I mean I would think it would be an overly complex task for you to master. Oh I know, maybe someone sets it up for you. At any rate, I'm proud of you for trying so hard!

Is it hard to be accepting of everything in your life. Have you grown so old that you no longer realize when change is necessary. You know when it's time to change your diaper, right? You can look at smith like one of your poopy diapers. It stinks, it's uncomfortable, it's a pain in the rear. It needs to be changed. Now buzz your caretaker to come change your diaper because your full of crap old guy.

everyones entitled to their opinion . its funny how you just want to criticize people for theirs and thinking you're always right . Mike Smith is on his way out . probably not this year but definitely in the near future . he's outdated . he's a **** dinosaur . conservative , boring , lackluster *** is soon out of Atlanta . and oh what a beautiful day that will be . and by the way , the next time you ask for peoples opinions and then you don't agree with it and then criticize them , do yourself a favor an STFU !!!

Guest Cally307a

The point we are at now is very crucial.....its the point where if smitty doesn't go soon, he will have everyone believing they cant win the big game, like mcnabb and the eagles, and romo and dallas and some of the other greats that never got there.

We have to act before he permanently ruins us, whether hes here or gone.

This is a big deal

The problem was not the firing of Leeman Bennet.

The problem was the hiring of Dan Hennig.

Fire Mike Smith.

We have plateaued, and are now spiraling downward in a hurry.

Hire the right replacement.