What Did Yal Think Of D Franks Play Sunday Night?

Since we have gone over many of the flaws of our team repeatedly, did anyone else think that Franks played pretty well in the game? I personally was surprised to see him out there especially more than Alford but he looked much improved. Now that I think of it the last I remember of Franks on defense was him breaking up a Drew Brees pass last season at the dome so he has been doing well in very limited time the past 2 seasons

With Asante banged up and McClain regressing could Franks work his way in to the rotation alongside Tru and Alford?

I also recall him playing spot minutes at safety last season. Would be nice to see him compete with Decoud since our staff seems to not trust the rookies

I worry that Franks timidity to catch a punt and run is a personality / confidence thing.

Asante is so good because (besides being really smart) he will gamble and lose and be confident enough to forget it and gamble again and get a pick 6.

A CB and returner have to believe nobody can get open on them or tackle them in a phone booth. Franks is scared he will drop it or can't dodge the guy and I fear he will cover being scared also. That means safety might be a better fit mentally too.

Franks was never a problem on the outside. That's what he is. Because we cross train out players he was put in nickel a lot when the board hated him and he's just not cut out for nickel. He's a big physical corner that can get hands on a wr. He played well last year on the outside. He's simply just not a nickel back.

Franks was never a problem on the outside. That's what he is. Because we cross train out players he was put in nickel a lot when the board hated him and he's just not cut out for nickel. He's a big physical corner that can get hands on a wr. He played well last year on the outside. He's simply just not a nickel back.

you speak the truth

Bingo Mclain=Nickel Franks=Outside or FS most are good at one or the other very few can do both just the way it is

you speak the truth

I know ppl wanna think it's all the same. Cornerback but it's two totally different techniques. If you've played on the outside your whole career it's a tuff transition to play inside. Same with Owens. He balls on the outside. I remember everybody hated grimes but he was hated from the nickel. That isn't an easy job. Lol. H3ll it's different footwork from left to right. That can be difficult also. They wanted to out Asante on the left and he refused. He's played his whole career on the right. Grimes has played both so it made better sense. Even tho Grimey is still better on the right than he is left.

I know ppl wanna think it's all the same. Cornerback but it's two totally different techniques. If you've played on the outside your whole career it's a tuff transition to play inside. Same with Owens. He balls on the outside. I remember everybody hated grimes but he was hated from the nickel. That isn't an easy job. Lol. H3ll it's different footwork from left to right. That can be difficult also. They wanted to out Asante on the left and he refused. He's played his whole career on the right. Grimes has played both so it made better sense. Even tho Grimey is still better on the right than he is left.

it's the same with people calling for Alford to get snaps at nickel to replace mcclain. You would actually have to have played some type of football to understand that it is 2 completely different positions but as you said, Smitty is famous for cross training players but in some cases, you have no choice but to plug a player in a spot that doesn't fit his strengths

it's the same with people calling for Alford to get snaps at nickel to replace mcclain. You would actually have to have played some type of football to understand that it is 2 completely different positions but as you said, Smitty is famous for cross training players but in some cases, you have no choice but to plug a player in a spot that doesn't fit his strengths

Exactly. Even with Alford in the slot we'll see similar results. I do think Alford is better getting hands on the wr tho. He's also a little faster than McClain but if he doesn't have his technique right he'll get toasted once or twice.