Rob Ryans Defensive Fronts

Big A

Good article on defense with pics of different formations

http://blackandgoldreview.com/2013/10/02/quarter-season-update-rob-ryans-saints-defense/

Messed-Up-3-3-5.jpg

This formation is sort of a 3-3-5, but not really, but also it totally is.

The linebackers are Curtis Lofton, far left, and Martez Wilson, in man coverage on a receiver, not in the image, but near Lofton. The other “linebacker” is Kenny Vaccaro.

Chris Carr had his tip drill interception on this play.

WHY DO THEY USE IT?

Honestly, this one just makes me go WTF.

They have the 4 2 5 alignment on there and thats the one they use a lot.

Definitely, it's a good breakdown on all the fronts they use with good commentary. I know the nickel is their most used alignment, but it had mentioned the 3/3/5 in other thread because I noticed it a lot more against Phins .

According to all of our division foes we weren't supposed to be improved enough on Defense and supposed to take a few years to adjust to the 3-4 and not be much of a threat tho.. what happened? pick ya mouths of baby.

You know every one of your division foes.... must have one huge list of facenook freinds if you know all of them.

As far as what happened. The great Lofton happened. The saints needed to steel the d leader from the falcons so he could give them all the calls and snap counts and lead the saints D because Vilma sucks.

You all can thank the falcons for your D success. It was our coaching staff that trained him for you all.

Check out what I dug up:

We should put up 30 minimum against this defense, there is really no excuse. They are shorthanded, lack talent and are breaking in a scheme that they don't have the personnel to run. Not saying it's necessarily going to be a blowout, but they are going to have to score a load of points to beat us tomorrow.

Those defenses actually had some viable talent though. We're looking at the historically worst defense in NFL history, who have made no noticeable personnel changes. They could very easily be worse this year, especially early on. We're gonna blow their doors off tomorrow, the only question is whether or not Breezy can keep up...

Or this thread, the second quote was almost prophetic:

Rob Ryan is consistently one of the worst defensive coordinators each year. The only reason his name has any merit is because of his last name. I'm not losing sleep.

maybe he will but the fact remains Gonzo knows know about route running and body control than Vacarro will learn in 5 years.

Him one on one with Gonzo on third down and and the redzone is a win for us..............at it is not even close.

Thank you for the solid ILB.

Maybe you'll let us have Babineaux next year. Can never have enough good DLine depth.

You cant have more than 1 player a year... Ray done call dibbs on Spoon (but you all arnt getting him either).

Ps... We are taling Graham as a revenge steel though.

You know every one of your division foes.... must have one huge list of facenook freinds if you know all of them.

As far as what happened. The great Lofton happened. The saints needed to steel the d leader from the falcons so he could give them all the calls and snap counts and lead the saints D because Vilma sucks.

You all can thank the falcons for your D success. It was our coaching staff that trained him for you all.

Yea the Saints stole your players.. oh boy, i heard it all, they just go into your roster and pick players, ya'll complained he didn't perform, he was unproductive and you your team let him go, Saints didn't have to steal anything he chose to sign with your rival and he chose the team he knew would help him get more success out of his career and i know he's thanking god he made that choice and that Falcons made a choice to get rid of him. LMAO.. Falcons have been through more former Saints players than anything.. Bobby Herbert, Joe Horn, Morten Andersen, Luke McCown, Ashley Ambrose, Craig Heyward, list goes on.. Go sit down and think before you speak next time. LMAO.. Smh

Edited by WhoDatSwagga

Yea the Saints stole your players.. oh boy, i heard it all, they just go into your roster and pick players, ya'll complained he didn't perform, he was unproductive and you your team let him go, Saints didn't have to steal anything he chose to sign with your rival and he chose the team he knew would help him get more success out of his career and i know he's thanking god he made that choice and that Falcons made a choice to get rid of him. LMAO.. Falcons have been through more former Saints players than anything.. Bobby Herbert, Joe Horn, Morten Andersen, Luke McCown, Ashley Ambrose, Craig Heyward, list goes on.. Go sit down and think before you speak next time. LMAO.. Smh

should I clue him in or would that ruin danight's fun?

What a misinformed lil whodat you turned out to be. Lofton was the defensive capt. We drafted him and made him our D capt. Do you really think if he wasn't performing we would have made him our capt?

We offered Lofton a contract. Then some how the broke Saints gets some free money after Brees held them up for every penny they had. Payton, Loomis and company fly Lofton in and take him out to dinner and kiss his butt. Then all a sudden he signs with the Saints..... Sounds fishy to me.

Stole would be the proper word. We will have our payback for that though. When Tony retire we will get about 6 mill to throw at Graham. Kiss your pro-bowl TE goodbye! He will be dunking field goals wearing red and black next season when he comes to the super dome. No way the Saints can afford to keep him, so the Falcons make the best fit for him.

He's not wrong, Nolan came out publicly and said he wasn't a 3 down back and then offered him a low contract

This is from last year:

Three games into the season, I think it’s become obvious why the Atlanta Falcons didn’t re-sign middle linebacker Curtis Lofton to a big-money contract.

There was no sense paying him a high salary if they weren’t going to use him in the new defensive scheme of coordinator Mike Nolan. I just went back through play-time counts for the first three games and it’s quite obvious the Falcons aren’t using a middle linebacker much at all.

In fairness to Lofton, I just looked at New Orleans’ play counts for the first three games of the season. Lofton has participated in every defensive play.

That’s proof that Lofton can be a three-down linebacker -- in the right system. The Saints are paying him an average of $5.5 million a season. He wasn’t going to be an every-down linebacker in Atlanta anymore, so there was no sense in the Falcons paying him big money to be a part-time player.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/39501/why-the-falcons-let-curtis-lofton-go

When Tony retire we will get about 6 mill to throw at Graham. Kiss your pro-bowl TE goodbye! He will be dunking field goals wearing red and black next season when he comes to the super dome. No way the Saints can afford to keep him, so the Falcons make the best fit for him.

Since that combined with the bazillion dollars Artie is bleeding into Matt Ryan's IRA whill have you guys up against the cap, I guess Julio will have to go looking elsewhere to get himself a payday. Hey look, we just freed up $15 mill per by cutting Smith, Harper and Vilma. Make it happen, Loomis. 2vn1h7r.jpg

Graham isn't going any where!! Vilma and smith are both gone next yr. we can always franchise JG too:

What a misinformed lil whodat you turned out to be. Lofton was the defensive capt. We drafted him and made him our D capt. Do you really think if he wasn't performing we would have made him our capt?

We offered Lofton a contract. Then some how the broke Saints gets some free money after Brees held them up for every penny they had. Payton, Loomis and company fly Lofton in and take him out to dinner and kiss his butt. Then all a sudden he signs with the Saints..... Sounds fishy to me.

Stole would be the proper word. We will have our payback for that though. When Tony retire we will get about 6 mill to throw at Graham. Kiss your pro-bowl TE goodbye! He will be dunking field goals wearing red and black next season when he comes to the super dome. No way the Saints can afford to keep him, so the Falcons make the best fit for him.

He's not wrong, Nolan came out publicly and said he wasn't a 3 down back and then offered him a low contract

This is from last year:

Three games into the season, I think it’s become obvious why the Atlanta Falcons didn’t re-sign middle linebacker Curtis Lofton to a big-money contract.

There was no sense paying him a high salary if they weren’t going to use him in the new defensive scheme of coordinator Mike Nolan. I just went back through play-time counts for the first three games and it’s quite obvious the Falcons aren’t using a middle linebacker much at all.

In fairness to Lofton, I just looked at New Orleans’ play counts for the first three games of the season. Lofton has participated in every defensive play.

That’s proof that Lofton can be a three-down linebacker -- in the right system. The Saints are paying him an average of $5.5 million a season. He wasn’t going to be an every-down linebacker in Atlanta anymore, so there was no sense in the Falcons paying him big money to be a part-time player.

http://espn.go.com/b...urtis-lofton-go

These poor lil bird brains in here only see their glasses half way, they look at things upside down in here and try and make it look like everybody is against them and other teams are doing things to them to make them a bad team lmao.. LMAO!! If ya organization failed to evaluate the talent they have and figure out a way to use them and pay them accordingly then another team will.. CASE IS CLOSED.. Good looking out Big A but I wasn't going to go through all of that to explain that to them i figured they knew this already it's sad they must have just started cheering for the Falcons last year.

Edited by WhoDatSwagga

These poor lil bird brains in here only see their glasses half way, they look at things upside down in here and try and make it look like everybody is against them and other teams are doing things to them to make them a bad team lmao.. LMAO!! If ya organization failed to evaluate the talent they have and figure out a way to use them and pay them accordingly then another team will.. CASE IS CLOSED.. Good looking out Big A but I wasn't going to go through all of that to explain that to them i figured they knew this already it's sad they must have just started cheering for the Falcons last year.

Ummm care to recap last years saints season for me? Im sure i read some where a few who dats saying "the media hates us" and "goodell is evil and hates the Saints".

Now what group of fans like to pretend as Brees would says "us vs the world". Nobody loves us, everyone is just trying to screw the Saints and the media is making up lies about us.

If ya organization failed to evaluate the talent they have and figure out a way to use them and pay them accordingly

If only our players had some extra motivation.... right?