Dan Reeves Faults Smitty

Sandy5prings

I was listening to Buck and Kincade driving back from lunch and Coach Reeves was on. I've not heard him criticize Smitty before, but he was pretty blunt today on some of the decisions Smitty made last Sunday night.

On the Pats doubling and literally mauling Gonzo in the last few series, Reeves said he was expecting to see us make quick adjustments by either motioning Tony or covering him up with a receiver, but said he was surprised to see that not happen repeatedly. He was also very critical of us not even trying to run the ball in red zone situations. He pretty much said that if the Pats could run the ball with guys off the street, then not having SJax is no excuse for us to not try to run.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to Buck and Kincade driving back from lunch and Coach Reeves was on. I've not heard him criticize Smitty before, but he was pretty blunt today on some of the decisions Smitty made last Sunday night.

On the Pats doubling and literally mauling Gonzo in the last few series, Reeves said he was expecting to see us make quick adjustments by either motioning Tony or covering him up with a receiver, but said he was surprised to see that not happen repeatedly. He was also very critical of us not even trying to run the ball in red zone situations. He pretty much said that if the Pats could run the ball with guys off the street, then not having SJax is no excuse for us to not try to run.

I tend to agree with him. I was really surprised Tony wasn't put in motion to keep that mauling form happening. If they were using him on the line just to tie up two defenders I guess I could understand it, but that didn't seem to be the case. The Pat's were daring us to run and we didn't even attempt it.

Strange, but predictable I'm afraid.

I tend to agree with him. I was really surprised Tony wasn't put in motion to keep that mauling form happening. If they were using him on the line just to tie up two defenders I guess I could understand it, but that didn't seem to be the case. The Pat's were daring us to run and we didn't even attempt it.

Strange, but predictable I'm afraid.

maybe he thought he would get a flag ?? who know, we were still in position to win if catches are made.

point was Reeves can talk all he wants, but he screwed up too with the development of Vick and the stages leading up to the Superbowl.

Reeves made it to the Super Bowl with this team though so he can say what he wants. Smitty won't ever get there coaching scared.

I didn't understand why we didn't try a run play or motion TG either...but doesn't that begin with DK/MR and not the HC.

For some reason, the Falcons have been in more of these spread sets when they've wanted to throw down in the red zone. Whatever they're seeing on tape, they prefer the matchups from here -- spreading the field and stretching the defense horizontally. It hasn't worked, though.

WilsonINT1_medium.PNG

I'd like to see them in more of this, which makes it harder to press and a little easier to create natural picks.

DSCN0448-1.jpg

For some reason, the Falcons have been in more of these spread sets when they've wanted to throw down in the red zone. Whatever they're seeing on tape, they prefer the matchups from here -- spreading the field and stretching the defense horizontally. It hasn't worked, though.

WilsonINT1_medium.PNG

I'd like to see them in more of this, which makes it harder to press and a little easier to create natural picks.

from a numbers POV, there's no clear advantage and they've basically taken Quizz out of the picture. it depends on the routes of the WRs and who can draw the top coverage and get someone either behind the coverage or to the voided space in the middle of the field

from a numbers POV, there's no clear advantage and they've basically taken Quizz out of the picture. it depends on the routes of the WRs and who can draw the top coverage and get someone either behind the coverage or to the voided space in the middle of the field

Exactly. Tactically, it was a missed opportunity. You remember at the end of the game how NBC spotlighted how the Patriots basically had two guys maul Tony and Julio off the line of scrimmage? Well, you can't do that against a snug formation, or really any kind of stacked set because whoever is playing the second receiver is going to lose him in traffic and the offense is gonna have someone one running free. But spreading the formation out, they played right into the Pats' hands.