The Right Of A Falcon Fan (And All Fans)

Folks may hate me for this, but it needs to be said.......

Fans have a duty. That is to support the team of which they are a fan. That can include watching games, attending games, conversing with other fans and promoting overall positive view of their team.

Teams have a duty as well. That is to play in such a fashion that the fans that support them are inspired to continue. To a lesser degree they are also responsible for promoting their team and league, as well as allowing the fans to get a glimpse of their roles on the team and the preparation that goes into what they contribute.

If either party fails to deliver, than the other has the right to object and raise concerns.

Examples include the NYJ fans treatment of Mark Sanchez and Eric Winston's comments to Chief fans.

In these examples one party is unsatisfied with the others contributions. Both these examples have real merit.

Now to bring this to a Atlanta Falcons POV, several fans are requesting more of their team. The talent is there. I have no complaint with Mr. Blank. He is an ideal GM. He loves his team and the city of Atlanta. He desperately wants to win for the fans and city. THAT IS A BIG REASON I BELIEVE HE IS THE OWNER TO BRING THE FRANCHISE THEIR FIRST SB!

But am I wrong to question who is employed and charged with making that happen? Can I question the leadership of the ones in-charge? Can I question the commitment of the players that have to accomplish it? Or even the coaches gameplan that will lead to it being done?

The answer to all should be "YES", if the results have shown to not be what the goal is intending. But fans of the same team shouldn't feel the need to tear each other down if their opinions disagree. I'm new to the site, but it seems like a lot of Atlanta Falcon fan on Atlanta Falcon fan hatred. This is another reason that the support is low for the squad. Too many of the legacy fanbase (those that have been a fan for years of misery and failure) and the newer fans. I like others am new to the board, but have been a Falcons fan since I was 13 years old. (Never like another football team in my life, probably never will). It's times like these where our team needs us to stand together.

Each fan has a right to feel a particular way about their teams performance. And we all might have a word to say.

As a fan, that is our RIGHT to question the status of the team we support/buy jerseys/merchandise of/root for! (not to be confused with moderator rights of a blog site) But it is also our duty to support the team. Whether or not I believe in the personnel, I believe in our team.

In conclusion, the two biggest issues I want to address is:

1) Overall fan support - We have to pull together. Let's reduce the Matt Ryan insults (mostly by trolls) and the TD hatred. We have a good team. Plenty of fans would wish to have several of our players. And fans of other less successful franchises still show support.

2) Fan on Fan hatred - Opinions are like butt holes (excuse the terminology) everyone has one. If you disagree, you disagree. A new fan can be just as meaningful as an older one. Maybe not as knowledgeable, but just as valid. So can we reduce the condescension between the two? Not needed. We see your 6 figure response counter and understand you status. But all Falcons fans are welcome here, right? If so, give ear to everyone's opinion and let's all attack the trolls together.

Not arguing, just saying.

- Concerned and but always Loyal Atlanta Falcons fan

I agree, but all this incessant bashing of coaches and players is so over the top. Yes there are concerns, but if you look at it from a realistic perspective you realize that our defense is not our strong point. We invested heavily in our offense and after last years head to head with the bteer teams in the league we realized we needed to try to upgrade the o line - I would have preferred we go outside and get help to protect our franchise QB , but we tried to stay in house - Would a healthy line be producing results by now ?? Possibly - but add in the fact that a defense that played bend dont break last year also tried to get better - as another op in another thread stated earlier , we jettisoned Robinson and decided not to take a chance on Grimes - so we start the season with 2 green cbs- why ? Because of injuries, and a need to get younger and better on the defensive side.

I could go on , but with the money and the contracts we had to do to keep key players, only so much you can do - the injuries we have had have been responsible for a bend dont break d breaking , and the o line that we counted on geling has been held together by duct tape and a qb that has been hurried hit and sacked numerous times through the first 4 games.

So whats a real fan to do ?? Do you dog out the best coach in Falcon history - apparently some fans do . Do we dog out the best QB in Falcons history ?/ apparently so. and to top off the whole enchilada we dog out the best owner who has established the best Falcons run in their history .

Its ok to question a coaching blunder, or a meltdown where we lose a big lead - I was concerned with that last year also - and I think if that was to continue we would need to have a change - but the negative crap you read here in spite of the fact that injuries have most certainly played a part is simply mind numbing - I would have hated to see these same fans through the Marion Campbell years, or years when Steve Bartkowski was struggling to walk yet still tried to play behind a porous swiss cheese line.

I agree, but all this incessant bashing of coaches and players is so over the top. Yes there are concerns, but if you look at it from a realistic perspective you realize that our defense is not our strong point. We invested heavily in our offense and after last years head to head with the bteer teams in the league we realized we needed to try to upgrade the o line - I would have preferred we go outside and get help to protect our franchise QB , but we tried to stay in house - Would a healthy line be producing results by now ?? Possibly - but add in the fact that a defense that played bend dont break last year also tried to get better - as another op in another thread stated earlier , we jettisoned Robinson and decided not to take a chance on Grimes - so we start the season with 2 green cbs- why ? Because of injuries, and a need to get younger and better on the defensive side.

I could go on , but with the money and the contracts we had to do to keep key players, only so much you can do - the injuries we have had have been responsible for a bend dont break d breaking , and the o line that we counted on geling has been held together by duct tape and a qb that has been hurried hit and sacked numerous times through the first 4 games.

So whats a real fan to do ?? Do you dog out the best coach in Falcon history - apparently some fans do . Do we dog out the best QB in Falcons history ?/ apparently so. and to top off the whole enchilada we dog out the best owner who has established the best Falcons run in their history .

Its ok to question a coaching blunder, or a meltdown where we lose a big lead - I was concerned with that last year also - and I think if that was to continue we would need to have a change - but the negative crap you read here in spite of the fact that injuries have most certainly played a part is simply mind numbing - I would have hated to see these same fans through the Marion Campbell years, or years when Steve Bartkowski was struggling to walk yet still tried to play behind a porous swiss cheese line.

Agreed. My protest is a little different than other folks. I'm tired of seeing the same issues over and over. My suggestion? Study the teams that don't have the same issues and learn from them. A good example, Broncos, Dolphins, Saints. These teams don't kick field goals in the red zone nearly as much as we do. There are lessons to be learned.

All I ask is that we identify the issue and learn from it. If it were different issues than I'd say we can work on everything. But this is one or two specifics that are holding us back.

Agreed. My protest is a little different than other folks. I'm tired of seeing the same issues over and over. My suggestion? Study the teams that don't have the same issues and learn from them. A good example, Broncos, Dolphins, Saints. These teams don't kick field goals in the red zone nearly as much as we do. There are lessons to be learned.

All I ask is that we identify the issue and learn from it. If it were different issues than I'd say we can work on everything. But this is one or two specifics that are holding us back.

where were we red zone last year - and whats different this year??? Think about it .

Well playing top tier teams in the playoffs screws up everyones red zone numbers - not just the Falcons . During the reg season you feats against the weak teams and tough it out vs the good teams.

In the offseason and draft where did Atlanta focus on to improve ??

But regular season games against the Raider and Cardinals disproves that logic. We just plain have problems scoring TDs in the red zone.

We wanted to improve our defense, I believe. But we also looked to add to the run game and blocking. So again, that is hard to tell

Raider game was on Ryan - worst game as a pro , and a lot of the onus for thr lack of running game had to do with Turners lack of discipline come dinner time. I didnt like the hire of DK - I thought we could do a lot better.

But the issue itself is palpable. We just don't score alot in the red zone. Whether it is a result of player or scheme, we don't get it done.

I like the thread and generally agree with the OP. To me there is a pretty defined line between criticizing and just plain bashing. I often criticize the coaches and players, but also realize they are just human and make mistakes. It's how they respond to their mistakes, and the effort I see on the field that's the true judge of a team in my opinion.

Yes, we are 1-3, but could have just as easily be 4-0 at this point. I think the expectation that this team should easily dominate every opponent, is where the frustration lies.

The team was 13-3 last year, and could have easily been 8-8. They pulled out the close games which is not happening so far this year. That's football.

Denver is the only team that seems truly dominant, and I'm sorry, but the Falcons are not as good as Denver. At least not right now. I hold out hope this team starts getting ti together and we see a win streak. We've got the horses....just need to give them time to run together.

I like the thread and generally agree with the OP. To me there is a pretty defined line between criticizing and just plain bashing. I often criticize the coaches and players, but also realize they are just human and make mistakes. It's how they respond to their mistakes, and the effort I see on the field that's the true judge of a team in my opinion.

Yes, we are 1-3, but could have just as easily be 4-0 at this point. I think the expectation that this team should easily dominate every opponent, is where the frustration lies.

The team was 13-3 last year, and could have easily been 8-8. They pulled out the close games which is not happening so far this year. That's football.

Denver is the only team that seems truly dominant, and I'm sorry, but the Falcons are not as good as Denver. At least not right now. I hold out hope this team starts getting ti together and we see a win streak. We've got the horses....just need to give them time to run together.

This guy gets it.

We won't dominate every opponent. That's expected.

What I don't expect to see is the same mistakes over and over.

Find a way to consistently get the ball in the endzone. Show that the players want it more than the fans. Match the words with the effort. That is the job of the team.

Consistently support your team. Suggest ways to improve. Stand by your team in the good and bad. That is the job of the fans.

Some posters think that complaining is not being a good fan. But if I didn't care soooo much, I wouldn't complain!!

This guy gets it.

We won't dominate every opponent. That's expected.

What I don't expect to see is the same mistakes over and over.

Find a way to consistently get the ball in the endzone. Show that the players want it more than the fans. Match the words with the effort. That is the job of the team.

Consistently support your team. Suggest ways to improve. Stand by your team in the good and bad. That is the job of the fans.

Some posters think that complaining is not being a good fan. But if I didn't care soooo much, I wouldn't complain!!

Ditto