It Is Time To Let The 2Nd Round Pick Play

Jaymadd

I am disappointed with the play of our defense espeically when it comes to the 2nd half of a game. I wish we would have drafted Larry Warford with that 2nd round pick but I still like Alford. I have very mixed feelings about McClain as of this moment. He played well last year but he has been very inconsistent this year. I dont know when we will get Asante back but until that point we need to let the rookie play. We need to put the rookie on the outside along with Trufant while Asante is out. When Asante comes back we can move Trufant to the nickel in the nickel defense and have Asante and Alford on the outside. I think at this point we used a 2nd rounder on the kid and since we didnt go OLine with the pick he needs to get time because he can only get better with reps. I really think this suggestion is coming because McClain has been sooo inconsistent that I am thinking that we cant do any worse with Alford and Trufant on the field together.

Because Alford dropped, we have been in the unfortunate position of drafting two freaking corners. I think it was the Peter Konz effect. Having a player drop to you that was ranked higher. I do believe Konz played well last year at RG and has been alright at C this year, Falcons felt they were getting a gift with Alford dropping. Warford should of been the pick there due to position of need and talent.

IA.

This team is funny about their vets.

If Tru wasn't a first rounder I bet franks would be on the outside.

I dont understand this loyalty to vets especially when we drafted players with talent. I think this leads to us not developing young talent like we need to. Alford should be getting more snaps than McClain especially given how McClain has played so far. It is not like McClain is tearing it up out there and I am beginning to believe that last year was a fluke for McClain.

I dont understand this loyalty to vets especially when we drafted players with talent. I think this leads to us not developing young talent like we need to. Alford should be getting more snaps than McClain especially given how McClain has played so far. It is not like McClain is tearing it up out there and I am beginning to believe that last year was a fluke for McClain.

IA about not developing younger talent. What players have the falcons developed into studs so far? I'm not being funny. I really want to know because I just started following the team.

After I was told that the Miami loss was blamed on a rookie by their position coach I knew something fishy was going on in those meetings.

As far as Bobby Mac I think the lack of pass rush this year is making him look worse than what he really is.

Been saying this from the get go. McClain has been decent at best, and he is also giving up one or two huge plays every game.

Give Alford a shot out there. The guy provides a Willy Mo-esqe headhunter vibe to our CBs & will start scaring the sh!t out of opposing WRs. Sure, he'll take his lumps, but my gut tells me he's a heck of a lot more of a playmaker than McClain.

As for our other young CB... I love Tru's attitude out there. He seems very humble & does not give up on plays. Watching him run down Blount on that long TD run & go for the strip was great to see. While he might not have been able to make a play this time, the fact that he didn't give up on the play was great to see... like Roddy causing the fumble on the Bly INT, or Owens running down Harvin of that return. I do need to see him follow the ball & not the man a little more though. I saw a bit of the ol' Chris Houston Syndrome against the Pats a few times. He can fix that.

I have always felt Rocky has a bigger upside than Tru. (I Think tru was the safe pick unfortunately) which is OK...but back to the OP...McClain is one of the best IN THE SLOT, he's ruining his cred outside...which proves its harder than it looks...I say Rocky can do it, I mean honestly he has already been there anyway seen a bunch of playtime on the outside.

I am disappointed with the play of our defense espeically when it comes to the 2nd half of a game. I wish we would have drafted Larry Warford with that 2nd round pick but I still like Alford.

Falcons felt they were getting a gift with Alford dropping. Warford should of been the pick there due to position of need and talent.

Its amazing to me how many people absolutely went apoplectic when I said before, during, and after the draft that Larry Warford would make more of a positive difference for our team than any CB. People were saying that "Matt doesn't need a line because he gets rid of the ball so quickly", and "SJax doesn't need a line because he makes his own holes".

Amazing what 3 losses due to inept interior line play can do for perspectives.

I've been wanting Alford in for McClain since the first game but the people that act like McClain is a veteran are ridiculous. Last year was basically his only year in the league. I would think that the 2nd round rookie, who many thought would go in the first, is more likely to receive favoritism than a 7th round PS body with one year of experience.

Its amazing to me how many people absolutely went apoplectic when I said before, during, and after the draft that Larry Warford would make more of a positive difference for our team than any CB. People were saying that "Matt doesn't need a line because he gets rid of the ball so quickly", and "SJax doesn't need a line because he makes his own holes".

Guard hasn't really been our issue. It's the exceptionally **** play at both tackle positions with Konz being a poor run blocker.

I remember and I was indifferent at the time. Still am as I think Alford will be a stud for a long time for us. Warford was a great pick for the Lions and we all saw his talent. Don't know how professionals let him slide to the third round. But with guys like Gabe Jackson and David Yankey coming out, I think we can add a big RG in the draft this year.

I didn't think this was going to be our year anyway and thought it was going to be a rebuilder, but not like this. We needed more defensive help than offense.

Alford has already started 70% of our snaps because Asante has played so little, what more do you guys want. McClain is a great NB, he struggles when moved outside. We should just keep him in his natural position and let Alford move outside when needed, but Alford over McClain shouldn't happen.

I was a big draft Larry Warford supporter. I didnt even mind taking him with our first because I didnt think he would last to our 2nd round pick. From watching him at the Senior Bowl I knew Warford was going to be an All-Pro Guard in the NFL.