To All Those Defending Mike Smith

fansince78

It is not up to you or I whether he will be the coach here next season or not, but I want to ask you some serious questions here. In the NFCCG last season, were you satisfied in the way the plays were called toward the end of the game? A couple of other questions would be whether you have been satisfied with the way plays have been called thus far this season and whether you think Mr. Blank as owner of the team should be?

I expect the team to get hot right now and fall just short of the playoffs. Is that good enough for you? Do you really think that is going to be good enough for Mr. Blank?

I just want to point out that sticking with one coach isn't a bad thing. People keep talking about wanting Bill Cowher. How long was it until he won his first championship? If this season turns out to be a disaster it would have been his only losing season as head coach and has earned another year at least to right the ship. I don't think anyone is satisfied but at the same time perspective is good to have. Also this season isn't over

I just want to point out that sticking with one coach isn't a bad thing. People keep talking about wanting Bill Cowher. How long was it until he won his first championship? If this season turns out to be a disaster it would have been his only losing season as head coach and has earned another year at least to right the ship. I don't think anyone is satisfied but at the same time perspective is good to have. Also this season isn't over

Great points.

The Steelers gave Cowher many chances to get it right, and it paid off. Cowher early on looked a lot worse than Smith ever has.

Terrible Example. Here is Bill Cowers tenure as Steelers coach

1992 11 - 5 :- lost to Buffalo in the playoffs.

1993 9 - 7 :- lost at Kansas City in the playoffs.

1994 12 - 4 :- lost to San Diego in the AFC Championship game.

1995 11 - 5 :- lost to Dallas in Super Bowl XXX,

1996 10 - 6 :- lost at New England in the playoffs.

1997 11 - 5 :- lost to Denver in the AFC Championship game.

1998 7 - 9

1999 6 - 10

2000 9 - 7

2001 10 - 5 :- lost to New England in the AFC Championship game.

2002 10 - 5 - 1 :- lost at Tennessee in the AFC Championship game in overtime.

2003 6 - 10

2004 15 - 1 :- lost to New England in the AFC Championship game.

2005 11 - 5 :- won Super Bowl XL. So we have an afc championship appearance in his first 3 years. A super bowl appearance in his first 4. Another afc championship appearance in his first 6 etc etc you can see for yourself. If Smitty had anywhere close to this resume. I'm pretty sure some Falcon fans wouldn't be calling for his head.

Great points.

The Steelers gave Cowher many chances to get it right, and it paid off. Cowher early on looked a lot worse than Smith ever has.

how is being in a super bowl in his 4th year looking worse than Smitty? WRONG! Edited by Sleepy27

Terrible Example. Here is Bill Cowers tenure as Steelers coach

1992 11 - 5 :- lost to Buffalo in the playoffs.

1993 9 - 7 :- lost at Kansas City in the playoffs.

1994 12 - 4 :- lost to San Diego in the AFC Championship game.

1995 11 - 5 :- lost to Dallas in Super Bowl XXX,

1996 10 - 6 :- lost at New England in the playoffs.

1997 11 - 5 :- lost to Denver in the AFC Championship game.

1998 7 - 9

1999 6 - 10

2000 9 - 7

2001 10 - 5 :- lost to New England in the AFC Championship game.

2002 10 - 5 - 1 :- lost at Tennessee in the AFC Championship game in overtime.

2003 6 - 10

2004 15 - 1 :- lost to New England in the AFC Championship game.

2005 11 - 5 :- won Super Bowl XL. So we have an afc championship appearance in his first 3 years. A super bowl appearance in his first 4. Another afc championship appearance in his first 6 etc etc you can see for yourself. If Smitty had anywhere close to this resume. I'm pretty sure some Falcon fans wouldn't be calling for his head.

ANd to add on to this, Steeler nation had already experienced the joys of winning some titles, The Falcons haven't and are looking as incompetent as ever.

Pretty stale argument, as this logic would actually support giving Smith ample time to win a championship. Being that Super Bowl victories are expected each season in Pittsburgh, I wouldn't be surprised if fans were calling for his head each year after going 13 years with no championship. He also took over after a hall of fame regime whereas Smith took over one of the biggest messes in NFL history.

And Falcon fans don't expect super bowls every year?....... yikes

That doesn't diminish the desire for more or the expectation of their fans.

I didn't say it did. But the individual on here tried to Insinuate that Bill Cower was just having absolute terrible seasons. When on the Contrary Cower was showing that he was getting there and that he could competently get them there, and in my opinion is the reason why the Steelers organization was willing to give him those tries.

The Steelers are a unique example those guys buck the trend of that addage there isn't any loyalty in pro sports.

They just aren't into turning over head coaches what have they had 5-6 in the history of there franchise.

It is not up to you or I whether he will be the coach here next season or not, but I want to ask you some serious questions here. In the NFCCG last season, were you satisfied in the way the plays were called toward the end of the game? A couple of other questions would be whether you have been satisfied with the way plays have been called thus far this season and whether you think Mr. Blank as owner of the team should be?

I expect the team to get hot right now and fall just short of the playoffs. Is that good enough for you? Do you really think that is going to be good enough for Mr. Blank?

Why you still talking about the NFCCG? It's time to move on man. If we had win the d*mn thing, you wouldn't be questioning the man now

I didn't say it did. But the individual on here tried to Insinuate that Bill Cower was just having absolute terrible seasons. When on the Contrary Cower was showing that he was getting there and that he could competently get them there, and in my opinion is the reason why the Steelers organization was willing to give him those tries.

I don't think that's what he was doing. I think he's more so saying, like us, Bill took them to the playoffs but couldn't get over the SB hump and you just don't fire a coach that puts you in position. You give him time to try and get over that hump. In other words it took him 14 seasons to finally win a SB, even missing the playoffs a few times on that journey. I think that's the focus. Not that he sucked early cause he didn't.

so every Super Bowl winner didn't ever fumble, stumble or fall?

Name a superbowl winner that had all of those in the same game....it would be one thing if just one of those things happened...but ALL of those things happened and when you are Plato.g for the right to go to suoerbowl when you do ALL of those things you are going to lose 9 out of 10 times

Guest Cally307a

There is no such thing as perfect, but in order to win a sb under smith he expects that and needs that perfect in order to overcome.

Therefore we wont ever win a superbowl because once we get up 7 we need perfect execution to prevent any further scores from the opposition.......if they do score then we didnt excecute and we lost due to bad execution

if they fail to execute and we get lucky and score in 1 minute 42 then we failed to execute but executed well on the final drive

regardless smitty is the reason we won, and bad execution why we lost.

not a good coach

and we arent a superbowl team with smith on our backs

Strawman fallacy of the year right here. Bravo!

Because no one had ever implied we should stay the course because "we've never been this good"

And no one ever said if we get rid of Smith we are destined to go back into the realm of lower tier teams.

People around here are so satisfied being 1-3 that they can't even entertain the thought that major changes could improve our franchise.

Mike Smith is the best we've ever had to them, and apparently is the best we can possibly do because anyone else would automatically return us back to the 60's Falcons...

Because ya know...Those things are never said or implied.

Name a superbowl winner that had all of those in the same game....it would be one thing if just one of those things happened...but ALL of those things happened and when you are Plato.g for the right to go to suoerbowl when you do ALL of those things you are going to lose 9 out of 10 times

yet the game could have been won on a completed pass at the end of the game. so all that stuff didn't have that much of a bearing on the game