Post Specific Problems With Smitty As Our Head Coach.

Olineman64C

I want to hear specific instances why Smitty needs to be fired.

The Smitty-Lovers Club has a point. He IS the best, most successful (regular season) coach we have ever had. I still think if we had fired Dan Reeves the GM and kept Dan Reeves the HC, he would have this title, but that is not what happened. Let's focus on Smitty.

I am one who acknowledges his past accomplishments, while realizing his limitations and flaws for our current and future state. Our team is different than it was in 2008, when he was the perfect head coach for us.

How is it different?

Why is Smitty no longer a suitable head coach for us?

I think one of the things that talking heads laud Smitty for is actually one of our biggest problems.

The notepad.

Writing down every penalty, every mistake, then blowing them up during the next week's practices.

This has produced a culture of tightness and fear.

The players are conditioned to avoid making mistakes, at the price of also avoiding making plays.

Smitty's "avoid mistakes at all costs" approach was great when we lacked the talent to overcome mistakes.

But we are a different club now.

We have the talent to overcome an occasional mistake made in the pursuit of aggressiveness.

But Smitty's fearful gutlessness has wrung all of the aggressiveness, all of the killer instinct, from this entire team. Coordinators, positional coaches, players.

The entire organization from Smitty on down is paralyzed by fear of making a mistake.

Well said. It's like when Smith humiliated ( for excessive celebration)Asante in front of the entire team, fans and TV audience after the Brees pick last year. It took the wind out of our sails.

That was not very professional of Smith to do that to a vet with Asante's resume. I'm not saying Asante was right for causing the penalty, but Smith could have handled it better and more discreet so it doesn't humiliate Asante in front of his teammates.

Well said. It's like when Smith humiliated ( for excessive celebration)Asante in front of the entire team, fans and TV audience after the Brees pick last year. It took the wind out of our sails.

That was not very professional of Smith to do that to a vet with Asante's resume. I'm not saying Asante was right for causing the penalty, but Smith could have handled it better and more discreet so it doesn't humiliate Asante in front of his teammates.

Smitty fails to realize something about penalties.

Just because something is a penalty, doesn't mean you should never ever do it.

DB beaten on a play that blatantly interferes with the receiver in the end zone? Ball at the 1 is much better than a touchdown.

OT blatantly holds/tackles an edge rusher that is getting past him? 10 yards and repeat the down is much better than losing yards, the down, and possibly getting your QB blasted to the IR list.

A DL who thinks he has the QB's cadence down and jumps a hard count? As long as its not a third and something that gives up a free first down, some raw-meat eating aggressiveness is well worth a once-in-a-while 5 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OivlyujC95k

A rookie scrub DB cheap shots the QB while sliding? 15 yards is a small price to pay for sending the message that this will not be tolerated, and that said scrub rookie DB's knees better have insurance.

A penalty doesn't mean you can't do something. It just means that doing it has a price. Smitty fails to realize that sometimes the price is well worth it.

Edited by Olineman64C

you didnt hear any of this coming from the locker room - you know why - because this is a real team and they dont fabricate drama . Here it is 2 hours after this " intelligent" post and we still have ZERO specific problems - Mr OP , can you put your finger on exactly what plays , schemes, etc . Mike Smith has in his system that has contributed to the Falcons losing 3 out of 4 games . Keep in mind the system he is currently employing is the same systems that got us into the conference championship game. And if you cant do that , illustrate any key plays, or calls he has made that contributed to us failing in the red zone .

you didnt hear any of this coming from the locker room - you know why - because this is a real team and they dont fabricate drama . Here it is 2 hours after this " intelligent" post and we still have ZERO specific problems - Mr OP , can you put your finger on exactly what plays , schemes, etc . Mike Smith has in his system that has contributed to the Falcons losing 3 out of 4 games . Keep in mind the system he is currently employing is the same systems that got us into the conference championship game. And if you cant do that , illustrate any key plays, or calls he has made that contributed to us failing in the red zone .

Roddy White: "We need to learn how to finish games. We don't play with a sense of urgency until our backs are to the wall."

Reeves hasn't coached in the league for 10 years. He was still young, by HC standards when he was let go here, yet no other jobs.

Two heart attacks.

Specific -you do what that means ??

It means you have no idea what the real problem is.

Read my first post, and sdogg's #2 post.

The problem is a culture, a mindset, that Smitty has.

You want a specific scheme? 3-man rush with the game on the line vs. the Dolphins. We had been getting to Tannehill all day, but when push came to shove, Smitty's sack contracted and we went soft instead of pinning our ears back and getting #6 ( and #7, and #8---) to kill the Dolphins attempt at a comeback.

You want a specific example of clock mismanagement? Same game: had he used his time outs when the Dolphins were within scoring range, the offense could have gotten the ball back with over a minute. Instead he sat there, dumbfounded and unsure of what to do, and we only had :34 left to score.

The prevalent problem this year is that our new Strength and Conditioning coach

has no idea what he is doing and it is not that our team is not aggressive enough

it is that our team as a whole is out of shape.

However this in no way excuses the fact that TD and Smitty did not keep a close

eye on the conditioning of the team.

Time to clean house

Athletic Performance Name Position Marty Lauzon Director of Sports Medicine and Performance AJ Neibel Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Spero Karas Head Team Physician Jonas Beauchemin Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Danny Long Assistant Athletic Trainer Eric Avila Assistant Athletic Trainer Andrew Hamstra Seasonal Assistant Quinton Nease Seasonal Assistant Tim Vigue Seasonal Assistant

I have a similar post elsewhere but would like to restate it in this appropriate thread.

Briefly , I believe Mike Smith has a conscious or sub conscious attitude to play games not to lose rather than play to aggressively win. It shows in his over thinking in-game decisions and seems to also be apparent in his side line body language. With all his other admirable traits, if this can't be recognized and corrected, I doubt he can get us to a Lombarti Trophy.

has no idea what he is doing and it is not that our team is not aggressive enough

Time to clean house

Athletic Performance Name Position Marty Lauzon Director of Sports Medicine and Performance AJ Neibel Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Spero Karas Head Team Physician Jonas Beauchemin Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Danny Long Assistant Athletic Trainer Eric Avila Assistant Athletic Trainer Andrew Hamstra Seasonal Assistant Quinton Nease Seasonal Assistant Tim Vigue Seasonal Assistant

100% TRUTH ^^

His entire football philosophy is founded on a belief that the team that makes the fewest mistakes will always win. That is why the reasoning behind a loss is almost always "poor execution" or "inefficiency" and never anything related to attitude, gameplan, adjustments.

One thing we will all look back to as a huge Smitty/Dimitroff failing: the Return Game

Every other team in the NFL has been able to pick up UDFAs or late round picks who have produced consistent Punt and KO return yardage. But Smitty has treated this part of the game as "strictly no turnovers"/"play it safe" at the cost of not having explosive options.

We used to have Allen Rossum and Eric Weems (2007 pick). Now we have zilch.

Think about Jacoby Jones, Trindon Holliday, Dexter McCluster, Darren Sproles - all flipping field positions and giving their teams a boost. We have not had that because Smitty has not invested any effort into that part of the game. Weems was a legacy guy and we let him go.

Almost all winning teams have had big play return guys who have provided a spark in crunch times.

Time to clean house

Hire Tony Gonzalez to be the S and C coach or at least on the staff. He knows what it takes to stay in football shape.

His entire football philosophy is founded on a belief that the team that makes the fewest mistakes will always win. That is why the reasoning behind a loss is almost always "poor execution" or "inefficiency" and never anything related to attitude, gameplan, adjustments.

Well said

I am not on the fire Smitty bandwagon. He deserves the opportunity to turnaround the team after a bad season.

That's not to say he doesn't have issues.Personally, I think he has fostered a culture problem that concedes to other team's strengths, instead of dictating our strengths to the opponent. While he hasn't said things like "take what the defense gives you", or "you strive to win all your home games and half your away games" in a while, it seems his approach is concession, that's he's giving the opponent ground before they step on the field.

I think he is overly concerned about the game statistically, causing a cautiousness, that has made the team soft. He has his moments of aggressive playcalling and a fiery personality on the sideline, but I don't think he gameplans that way. He breaks down the game statistically.using odds, percentages, overly worrying about penalties and turnovers, to the point the team makes more of them because they are being so cautious. In mountain biking we were taught to look at the path, not the rocks or trees you are trying to avoid, if you focus on the obstacles, you'll ram right into them.

I think that takes some of the competitive spirit out of the game. He needs to approach the game as if he has a dominant football team that can destroy it's enemy instead of assuming it's always going to be a hard fought buzzer beater. I think it's part of why we play down to the competition.

I am not on the fire Smitty bandwagon. He deserves the opportunity to turnaround the team after a bad season.

That's not to say he doesn't have issues.Personally, I think he has fostered a culture problem that concedes to other team's strengths, instead of dictating our strengths to the opponent. While he hasn't said things like "take what the defense gives you", or "you strive to win all your home games and half your away games" in a while, it seems his approach is concession, that's he's giving the opponent ground before they step on the field.

I think he is overly concerned about the game statistically, causing a cautiousness, that has made the team soft. He has his moments of aggressive playcalling and a fiery personality on the sideline, but I don't think he gameplans that way. He breaks down the game statistically.using odds, percentages, overly worrying about penalties and turnovers, to the point the team makes more of them ebcause they are being so cautious. In mountain biking we were taught to look at the path, not the rocks you are trying to avoid.

I think that takes some of the competitive spirit out of the game. He needs to approach the game as if he has a dominant football team that can destroy it's enemy instead of assuming it's always going to be a hard fought buzzer beater. I think it's part of why we play down to the competition.

That's a defeatest mentality, whether intended or not.

He just said it in his presser on Monday.

The more you think about it, the more the writing appears on the graffiti wall.

It's going to take a turn around of epic proportions to save this season and perhaps Smitty's Job when all is said and done.

Time to clean house

Smartest post I have seen on these boards in a long time.

the only specific problem in this thread that made sense had nothing directly to do with the coach. And that had to do with personnel. Unless your inside the locker room , the only culture you would be able to see is a culture of winning and going about the everyday tack of winning in a business like manner. Anything having to do with inside the locker room culture is purely conjecture .

The fact is , this team is a tight knitted group that doesnt publicly throw anyone under the bus and keeps any inside disagrements in house. Its a long football season and they realize the importance of keeping an even keel throughout. If the Falcons arent sucessful this season , it will be strictly because of the injuries period - just like anyone with any football intelligence realizes. But keep on making these vague, inane posts if it makes you feel smarter.

That's a defeatest mentality, whether intended or not.

He just said it in his presser on Monday.

The more you think about it, the more the writing appears on the graffiti wall.

It's going to take a turn around of epic proportions to save this season and perhaps Smitty's Job when all is said and done.

I was too depressed and angry to listen to the presser. I swear if I hear the word "uncharacteristic" one more time, I'm going to hit something. Mistakes are pretty characteristic for this team now. He needs to change his talking points.