Uggla Not On 25-Man Play-Off Roster

I thought Constanza over Terdo was a bit of a surprise. I know Terdo struggled off the bench but he can play multiple positions including the infield. Janish is going to be the only backup infielder on the roster (kind of scary).

I thought Malholm might make the roster in case we need an emergency starter or long relief man. I guess Hale will fill that role. Still when Downs failed to make the roster I thought Maholm might make it as a third lefty out of the pen.

Now that you mention it...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bj can play defense and be a pinch runner. Both of those are huge in the playoffs where every situation counts

I think BJ's defense is overrated. He misjudged a lot of balls off the bat. Remember when he tracked a ball to the wall, turned around and tried to jump and catch it against the wall only for the ball to hit the wall about 10 feet from him? I think both Upton brothers' defense is overrated.

Not disappointed Uggla was left off the roster, but if Uggla was about to get on a hot streak of some kind then we may have missed out on a BIG power piece to our postseason lineup. We all know Uggla is an extremely dangerous hitter when he's hot.

You can count on 1 hand the number of extra base hits Dan Uggla had over his final 40 games of the season. 3. Yep. Just 3 extra base hits. Here is what Uggla did in his final 4 games after his average peaked at .205 on July 26th against the Cardinals.

.103/.279/.145 (.424) - 40 G, 35 GS, 147 PA, 117 AB, 9 R, 12 H, 2 2B, 0 3B, 1 HR, 6 RBI, 25 BB, 47 SO, 1 SB

I think BJ's defense is overrated. He misjudged a lot of balls off the bat. Remember when he tracked a ball to the wall, turned around and tried to jump and catch it against the wall only for the ball to hit the wall about 10 feet from him? I think both Upton brothers' defense is overrated.

overrated or not he still can play defense good enough where he isn't a liability in the outfield. And that is important

Schafer has never rated good defensively. I don't know why.

Poor jumps and routes to balls.

I'm most surprised that Hale and Ayala made it over Varvaro. Don't get that at all.

I also would have taken Uggla or Terdo over Constanza. There's nothing he does that can't be replicted by Schafer or BUpton. Say what you will about Uggla, having only one back-up infielder seems risky.

Edited by K26dp

Poor jumps and routes to balls.

I'm most surprised that Hale and Ayala made it over Varvaro. Don't get that at all.

I also would have taken Uggla or Terdo over Constanza. There's nothing he does that can't be replicted by Schafer or BUpton. Say what you will about Uggla, having only one back-up infielder seems risky.

It's very risky.

I think Ayala made the roster due to his ability to induce ground balls with his sinker. That could come in handy if we need a double play to get out of a jam. Hale was a strike out machine in his two starts and the Dodgers have never faced him, so he has the element of surprise on his side.

Last time that happened was 2011?

I was thinking more on the lines of a few months ago. Uggla produced a ton of home runs and most of them came in clutch situations, too. Absolutely a dangerous and valuable hitter when he gets going. Sadly, he takes a long @$$ time to do so, hence why he's been neglected a spot on the postseason roster.

You can count on 1 hand the number of extra base hits Dan Uggla had over his final 40 games of the season. 3. Yep. Just 3 extra base hits. Here is what Uggla did in his final 4 games after his average peaked at .205 on July 26th against the Cardinals.

.103/.279/.145 (.424) - 40 G, 35 GS, 147 PA, 117 AB, 9 R, 12 H, 2 2B, 0 3B, 1 HR, 6 RBI, 25 BB, 47 SO, 1 SB

That has nothing to do with what I was saying. I was saying when Uggla gets hot, he can be very dangerous because of his immense power.

That has nothing to do with what I was saying. I was saying when Uggla gets hot, he can be very dangerous because of his immense power.

I did address what you said about Uggla's power. Over his last 40 games he had a total of 3 extra base hits. There was no sigh that Uggla was about to get hot. That's why Uggla was left off the roster. If he were still hitting the occassional homerun he wouldn't have lost his starting spot. But once he stopped hitting for power he became completely useless as a hitter. I was just saying that he reached his peak this season as a hitter on July 26th. He was complete trash after that.

I did address what you said about Uggla's power. Over his last 40 games he had a total of 3 extra base hits. There was no sigh that Uggla was about to get hot. That's why Uggla was left off the roster. If he were still hitting the occassional homerun he wouldn't have lost his starting spot. But once he stopped hitting for power he became completely useless as a hitter. I was just saying that he reached his peak this season as a hitter on July 26th. He was complete trash after that.

And I agree, but you have to realize that Uggla wasn't getting much ABs. He hit a HR not too long ago against the Nats and almost another against the Cubs so it looked like he was finding his power back, but Fredi wasn't giving him much opportunities to find his groove again.

I'm just saying if Uggla was about to get hot again we missed out big time.

And I agree, but you have to realize that Uggla wasn't getting much ABs. He hit a HR not too long ago against the Nats and almost another against the Cubs so it looked like he was finding his power back, but Fredi wasn't giving him much opportunities to find his groove again.

I'm just saying if Uggla was about to get hot again we missed out big time.

Out of those 40 games I mentioned he started 35 of them.

Okay, well there's no telling when Uggla would have gotten hot anyways. That's why I implied the "if" to my statement.

We've given him several years to fix his batting andget it to at least a reasonable level, he is just getting worse at this point. Time to cut our loses with him, for whatever reason he can't hit in our uniform. Even when he is not HOT he should be hitting .230-.250 being under .200 for several years is not acceptable.