Uggla Not On 25-Man Play-Off Roster

PokerSteve

I was probably more suprised by seeing the Braves had decided to leave Dan Uggla off the play-off roster than I should have been. The guy has looked pathetic at the plate all season. The Lasic surgery didn't help. Still think I would rather have Uggla as the last infielder over Janish because he represents that one-swing power that could put you back in the game or make you a winner.

Anybody else surprised that Uggla won't be in the play-offs with the Braves? Does leaving him off the roster pretty much indicate they're cutting ties with him and will be trying to deal him this off-season? I really thought this guy was going to be a special player with the Braves, but he never could get out of the blocks here for some reason. A shame for him and for us.

Edited by PokerSteve

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was probably more suprised by seeing the Braves had decided to leave Dan Uggla off the play-off roster than I should have been. The guy has looked pathetic at the plate all season. The Lasic surgery didn't help. Still think I would rather have Uggla as the last infielder over Janish because he represents that one-swing power that could put you back in the game or make you a winner.

Anybody else surprised that Uggla won't be in the play-offs with the Braves? Does leaving him off the roster pretty much indicate they're cutting ties with him and will be trying to deal him this off-season? I really thought this guy was going to be a special player with the Braves, but he never could get out of the blocks here for some reason. A shame for him and for us.

Hey PokerSteve! Nah, I say we just cannot afford to have Uggla in there, hoping he might do something big or get that big hit.

I told a friend that one at-bat during the Phillies series was the definite deciding factor for me. It believe it was Saturday’s game. Runners at first and third, one out, Uggla was at the plate and the pitcher was on deck. Braves trailing. With a 3-1 count, Uggla took strikes 2 and 3, looking, fast balls straight down the middle.

Even if the pitches were borderline, you’re going to leave it up to the PITCHER to drive in much-needed runs?

NOOOOO, please. NO Dan Uggla on the playoff roster!

Not surprised at all as mentioned before. When was his last Homer, which is his only possible contribution? Concerning his future here, I could see him being given a shot to work out things over the winter and win the job in the spring. If he doesn't, or plummets during the regular season he will go one way or the other. Trading him could happen but with his salary and play we would have another Lowe situation. Would be basically paying someone to take him. LaStella may be ready by the end of next year, MAYBE. Elliott Johnson could be a suitable bridge to him.

I would leave Uggla home. At least BJ could be a pinch runner or defensive replacement.

Yep, I also think the FO has their fingers crossed that BJ can recapture some the postseason magic he had in Tampa where he was amazing but we're not holding our breath wink.png

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article/atl/atlanta-braves-set-nlds-roster-dan-uggla-not-included?ymd=20131002&content_id=62335384&vkey=news_atl

The Braves have submitted their roster for the National League Division Series against the Dodgers, and veteran infielder Dan Uggla isn't on it. Uggla, who batted .179 with 22 home runs this season, underwent Lasik surgery to repair his vision in August and has been supplanted at second base by Elliot Johnson. Game 1 of the NLDS is on Thursday (watch on TBS at 8:30 p.m. ET).

nlds-la-atl.jpg

Atlanta tabbed 11 pitchers for the NLDS, including starters Mike Minor, Kris Medlen and Julio Teheran. Swingmen Alex Wood and Freddy Garcia are also in the mix, as is southpaw Luis Avilan and righty relievers Luis Ayala, David Carpenter, David Hale, Jordan Walden and Craig Kimbrel.

The Braves will carry three catchers -- Evan Gattis, Gerald Laird and Brian McCann -- and six outfielders into their first series. Atlanta will have playoff veterans Jason Heyward, B.J. Upton and Justin Upton, and reserves Jose Constanza, Reed Johnson and Jordan Schafer in the outfield mix.

The Braves will carry just five infielders in the first series. Freddie Freeman will get much of the action at first base, and Andrelton Simmons will play at shortstop. Chris Johnson is the third baseman, and Elliot Johnson will be at second base, with Paul Janish serving as Atlanta's utility man.

The Braves gave all due consideration to playing Uggla, who batted just .133 in 77 plate appearances after returning from surgery designed to correct his vision. Uggla, 33, is a career .246 hitter with 231 home runs, but he's played in just one postseason game in his eight-year career.

He will be a key late-inning pinch runner. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him score a big run or two in this series.

Please just don't ask him to steal. I've never see a guy that fast be so horrible at stealing bases. I know there's more to stealing bases than just pure speed but my goodness he is terrible at it. You would think his speed alone would make up for poor technique.

I thought Constanza over Terdo was a bit of a surprise. I know Terdo struggled off the bench but he can play multiple positions including the infield. Janish is going to be the only backup infielder on the roster (kind of scary).

I thought Malholm might make the roster in case we need an emergency starter or long relief man. I guess Hale will fill that role. Still when Downs failed to make the roster I thought Maholm might make it as a third lefty out of the pen.

I think we gave him enough chances to turn around his hitting. Don't know what happened but he was a career .250+ hitter till he came here. Maybe our hitting coaches still suck but him and BJ are just awful at the plate now. I liked him and wish he could have turned it around but he aint and it's over.

Not disappointed Uggla was left off the roster, but if Uggla was about to get on a hot streak of some kind then we may have missed out on a BIG power piece to our postseason lineup. We all know Uggla is an extremely dangerous hitter when he's hot.

Last time that happened was 2011?