Somebody's On The Hot Seat And It Ain't Td Or Smith

PokerSteve

The Falcons 1-3 start has created a firestorm of fan dismay and frustration, with multitudes of TATF posters calling for the firing of Mike Smith or TD, Koetter or even Matt Ryan. In truth, none of these individuals are in any danger of losing their jobs. The person who is really on the hot seat as this season rapidly swirls down the toilet is one Mr. Arthur Blank, owner and Godfather of the Dirty Birds.

I can't even imagine the pressure that is steadily beginning to build on Arthur Blank. He knows this team and he is certainly well aware that all the problems aren't going to magically disappear when all the starters are healthy and playing again. If the team continues to tank, Blank is acutely aware the patience of this long-suffering fan base could snap. They have found other things to occupy their time in past years of Falcon futility and they could easily do so again.

With the team slated to move into a palatial billion-dollar stadium that will obligate Blank's Falcons for hundreds of millions of dollars, the last thing Mr. Blank can afford is a disinterested, disconnected, disgusted fan-base turning his cavernous, extravagant football venue into a half-empty, dispirited monetary black hole. A complete collapse over the remainder of the season could force Blank to shake things up. To maintain the perception the team is still going all out for a Super Bowl, somebody has to be the sacrificial lamb. In a worse-case scenario, he could have little choice but to part ways with more than one of the coaching staff. I'm certain he would like to avoid parting ways with the two key components to the successful resurrection of the franchise from the Vick/Putrino trainwreck. He has to feel a huge amount of loyalty to both for giving this franchise five winning seasons in a row and acceptance as one of the top franchises in the league.

But would simply firing Pat Hill, Ray Hamilton, Koetter or Nolan really solve any of the fundamental problems that have started to look like serious cracks in the very foundation of this team? Dimitroff has made some good draft picks, but many also have been stinkers. The team's problems in the trenches can be directly attributed to Dimitroff. It could be argued convincingly Dimitroff may be more responsible for the Falcons' struggles in big games and the play-offs with his sorry line picks even more than Smith's staid, clock-control, FG-kicking offense. But if you show TD to the door it's far from a sure bet fans would automatically start to sell out the stadium again if you stay with Mike Smith as HC. Many, many fans are certain that Smith is the problem and will not be renewing their season tickets until he's gone.

It's going to be a very tough call for Blank, but with the team moving into the new stadium in the 2017, he may have little choice but to part ways with the most successful pair of Falcon GM's and HC's they ever had to prove to disgruntled, disaffected fans this owner will, indeed, stand by his word that "there will be no sacred cows" who will stand in the way of this team getting a Lombardi Trophy. And, of course, once that decision is made, then you have the equally critical task of coming up with replacements who can rekindle the excitement of the fans and make an instant positive impact on the field and in the personnel department. The people who can stroll in and take up where TD and Smith leave off in terms of winning percentage and well-run organizations are few and far between.

This is all just speculation because the Falcons are still far from being mathematically out of the play-offs. They can still look forward to the return of injured players to maybe give them a boost back into contention. But if they continue to struggle and the losses mount up, Blank will have to confront the bedeviling prospect of up-rooting at least one of his key people and then hope he will be able to pull some worthy replacements out of the void. I wouldn't mind having a few million of his money, but I do not want any part of the agony he soon might be going through with the future of this team and the billion-dollar investment in the new stadium hanging in the balance.

Edited by PokerSteve

Hey Steve very nice write up. I agree with most of it but it's seems like to me Mr Blank loves him some Smitty. After the press conference of the Sunday night game he greeted and hugged him like he was one of his children , It will take 2 disasterious seasons in a row to get him fired and that won't happen.

Hey Steve very nice write up. I agree with most of it but it's seems like to me Mr Blank loves him some Smitty. After the press conference of the Sunday night game he greeted and hugged him like he was one of his children , It will take 2 disasterious seasons in a row to get him fired and that won't happen.

Thanks, bro. I agree. Blank will give Smith this season and the next to get things back on track. After that, if Smith's team is not trending sharply upward again, he'll be fired. But Blank is fiercely loyal to his people and I greatly admire for that. The people I worked for most of my life treated their employees worse than dogs. Yeah, let's hope he doesn't have to face that kind of decision it will take years off his life.

Edited by PokerSteve

Blank knows that this fan base is fickle. Don't worry, the last thing he wants is the blame to be put on him. Somebody will be fired if we don't make the playoffs. It's still too early in the season though.

YEP FICKLE as soon as the going gets a little bit to tough a good portion of this fanbase go SOUTH.

If I'm honest I truely believe alot of our supposed fans look foward to this team losing so they can go on these cry baby rants and post threads with alot of problems but absolutely 0 fixes for the problems they raise.

People come and go in Atlanta, one of the most TRANSIENT cities in North America. This isn't Buffalo, NY. Blank knows Falcon fans in Atlanta are constantly in flux, here today, gone tomorrow. Not to worry, a whole new bunch is being moved in.................from all corners of America and the world. It's just one MONSTROUS numbers game.

How long did Reeves last after he actually made it to the Super Bowl?

Blank never hired Reeves, therefore he was never his choice. Blank did however, maneuver the team before he purchased it into trading up to draft Vick (that is if you believe the rumors), and Reeves was responsible for the draft and up until his last year. Firing Reeves, was a move that needed to be made at the time IMO.

There is plenty of blame to go around. However, the way I see it is the trenches is where the battles are won and lost and our trenches are struggling. The o-line needs much help Ryan can't just dink and dunk all day, he needs more time. If he doesn't get the time then we fail to win. The D-line for as long as I can remember has always been on the light side for DEs that isn't a problem but for tackles its is. Peters and Jerry are okay but we need a dominate tackle, it is too bad Seymour wants so much money, I feel he could turn this line around. We still have time to sign a DT but if we sign someone that is not proven or weighs less than 320lbs the suffering will continue. We have draft picks that can be traded but for who or what I don't know. I feel the defensive line needs the most help, because we can still score and stopping the other teams from scoring will help. The most we have lost by all season is 7pts, that one drive that gets stopped by a sack or forced fumble could very well be the difference.