Judy Battista - Nfl Media Reporter On Falcons State Of Franchise

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000254025/article/atlanta-falcons-woes-spawn-from-injuries-redzone-inefficiency excellent read! Matty Ice HAS gone ICE COLD after getting a big pay check! & we have no one except Smitty & Matty to blame for this fall out. They just don't seem to have a grip on this team. They have spent decent time together & Mr.Blank has given them enough resources to do the needful but they just seem to abuse it! Now Mr. Blank will have his stadium which had dearly desired for....so what do we FANS get in return?

What..?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000254025/article/atlanta-falcons-woes-spawn-from-injuries-redzone-inefficiency excellent read! Matty Ice HAS gone ICE COLD after getting a big pay check! & we have no one except Smitty & Matty to blame for this fall out. They just don't seem to have a grip on this team. They have spent decent time together & Mr.Blank has given them enough resources to do the needful but they just seem to abuse it! Now Mr. Blank will have his stadium which had dearly desired for....so what do we FANS get in return?

Overreact much?

they have been in red zone 18 fukin times more then ANY NFL team this year & just scored 7 of them. Terrible on short yardage coversion especially on 3rd downs. Where does the HOPE come from?

Knowing that it's correctable. Contracts have nothing to do with it.

they have been in red zone 18 fukin times more then ANY NFL team this year & just scored 7 of them. Terrible on short yardage coversion especially on 3rd downs. Where does the HOPE come from?

Right there that tells you there IS hope. LoL. The fact that we are getting there means we CAN get there and hopefully will figure it out. There is always hope . What's the alternative? PANIC!! After 4 games dismantle the team like the Marlins do in baseball every 4 years !!! Great plan. LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Right there that tells you there IS hope. LoL. The fact that we are getting there means we CAN get there and hopefully will figure it out. There is always hope . What's the alternative? PANIC!! After 4 games dismantle the team like the Marlins do in baseball every 4 years !!! Great plan. LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

What's the reason of 3rd QTR meltdown? What's the reason behind us getting complacent after getting big leads? Im not a fan who jumps off the ship when teams has a dismal record if ONLY I knew they didn't commit the same bonehead mistakes every game day. All we want is sincere effort. Play to WIN with FIRE in that belly. Not play scared to lose!

Edited by mattyicefalcon

http://www.nfl.com/n...ne-inefficiency excellent read! Matty Ice HAS gone ICE COLD after getting a big pay check! & we have no one except Smitty & Matty to blame for this fall out. They just don't seem to have a grip on this team. They have spent decent time together & Mr.Blank has given them enough resources to do the needful but they just seem to abuse it! Now Mr. Blank will have his stadium which had dearly desired for....so what do we FANS get in return?

Funny, I didn't see any of the bolded in the actual article...

The play that will haunt the Atlanta Falcons this week, maybe this season, is the one constantly rerun in Sunday highlights: an airmailed, across-the-body Matt Ryan pass that sailed well over a wide-open Roddy White at the 3-yard line on fourth down.

The Falcons had correctly determined they couldn't beat the New England Patriots by kicking field goals; after already hitting one to start the game, they weren't going for another in just the second quarter. Given that White got open on fourth-and-2, it seemed to be the correct play call. Ryan will take the heat for a poor pass, which, had he completed it, likely would have given the Falcons the lead in a game they eventually lost.

But really, the Falcons' problems -- and among the biggest reasons they are one of the NFL's disappointments at 1-3 -- were summed up in a more pedestrian play just before Ryan's mistake. On third-and-10 from the Patriots' 15, Ryan's pass to Jason Snelling was complete -- for just 8 yards. That was only one of the five third-down failures inside the Patriots' 25 for the Falcons -- they missed on the first drive of the night, when they settled for a field goal. They went just 1-for-6 on third-down conversions in that extended red-zone range.

The injuries to the Falcons' defense have been well-documented -- linebacker Sean Weatherspoon is on short-term injured reserve with a foot sprain, defensive end Kroy Biermann is out for the season with a torn Achilles tendon, cornerback Asante Samuel sat out Sunday with a thigh injury -- and their almost complete lack of a pass rush is obvious.

But the injury bedeviling them most now is to Steven Jackson's hamstring/thigh. The exact nature of the ailment is unclear, with differing reports and timelines for recovery. No matter. Jackson was hurt in Week 2, hasn't played since and could be out for two more weeks. And each time the Falcons get achingly close to the end zone, only to be turned away, they are reminded that for all of Julio Jones' jaw-dropping explosiveness, they haven't been able to execute the more fundamental plays when the game is constricted.

0ap2000000247302.jpg

Why do you love football? Share your story and you could win a VIP Super Bowl XLVIII trip.

"Offensively, the field shrinks when inside the 20, and they lost their pounder in Jackson, who can push the pile and give them inside physical run presence," said an NFL personnel executive who has closely watched the Falcons. "I can't put an exact finger on it, other than a failure to execute and a failure to win on their third-down offense. Be curious what their third-down conversion percentage is when they get inside the 25-yard line."

It's not good. The Falcons converted just 3 of 13 third-down opportunities from within the opponents' 25-yard line during the first four games. The one time they didn't struggle on third down in close range? Against St. Louis, the Falcons' lone vanquished opponent, when Atlanta never faced a third down inside the 25. The failed attempts take every possible form: incomplete passes, too-short completions, stuffed runs, sacks. It is a laundry list of frustrations.

"There were a number of contributing factors to our inefficiency, not just one area, not just one group," Falconscoach Mike Smith said Monday. "We had some protection issues. We had some routes that were not run right. We had some drops. We had some missed throws. I can assure you that we're addressing it as a coaching staff, and we're addressing it with our team."

The Falcons' red-zone struggles aren't a secret. Smith spent last week talking about the need for greater efficiency. But even Tony Gonzalez's career night (12 catches for 149 yards and two touchdowns) could not save Atlanta on Sunday. No team has been inside the opponents' 20-yard line more often -- 18 times -- than the Falcons so far this season. But they rank just 28th in red-zone efficiency, with seven touchdowns and seven field goals, a 38.9 percent touchdown rate. Gonzalez had the Falcons' only touchdown from inside the red zone against the Patriots.

"You've got to be able to put up points, and we should," Gonzalez said after the game.

0ap2000000250525.jpg

Well, yes, they should. But on Sunday, the Falcons joined theHouston Texans as the most recent examples of an often-forgotten lesson the NFL offers from season to season: Teams do not simply pick up where they left off in the previous campaign.

The Falcons and Texans were considered prime Super Bowlcontenders, having each earned a playoff victory last January. Now they are a combined 3-5 and already falling behind in their respective divisions. The Falcons, who host the New York Jets on Monday night, already have matched their loss total from the entire 2012 regular season, and they still have meetings with the Seattle Seahawks, New Orleans Saints and San Francisco 49ers on their schedule. They are three games behind the Saints in the NFC South. And as mentioned above, Jackson's availability for future games is unclear after an ESPN report that he could be out at least another two weeks.

With an extra day before the next game, Smith said the Falcons would do some self-scouting before turning their attention to the Jets. Perhaps the team will find it comforting that each of its three losses has been by just one score. The games are very close, even as the distance to a touchdown seems very far.

I just don't see this team making any real changes. I think we're all going to see the same schemes on offense and defense, the same Red Zone buffoonery, the same soft defense coughing up 3-and-19 yard first down passes. What you've been seeing out of this team is what it is and how it conducts its business. The players have played piss-poor, the OL and DL blow chunks, our schemes are soft, predictable and conservative. Where and what can anybody realistically see happening anywhere within this team and organization that is going to transform the present steaming pile into a Super Bowl contender? I don't see any way it could possibly happen now, or even the next few years.

Edited by PokerSteve

Financially this team is in great shape next year. And with the talent they already have signed they will get better. This maybe a Braves situation...once some of the old vets move on i.e. TG, SJAX 39, ASamuels, clear the way for younger, and more aggressive talent the team will show a better attitude. Also players like Matt Ryan need to be properly evaluated and put on the hot seat like everyone else. Blank needs to do his job and hold everyone accountable even his $100 million dollar game manager. If you have been to the red zone 18 times and only punch it in 30% that is strictly the issue of the QB. A bad offense doesn't make it to the red zone 18 times in 4 games. So please don't start with the O line this and that. THOSE ARE TERRIBLE EXCUSES and only losers make excuses. Ryan needs to do his F&*$in job...Period. It gets me angry thinking about him throwing the ball out the endzone as much as he does. When on at least 5 times the middle of the line parted like the red sea and he could have walked into the end zone. I know he isn't fast but you don't have to be. Grow a pair...please...

Wow, maybe it's just me, but that may be a silver-lining. If they fix the red zone issues, the wins will start piling up.

I just don't see this team making any real changes. I think we're all going to see the same schemes on offense and defense, the same Red Zone buffoonery, the same soft defense coughing up 3-and-19 yard first down passes. What you've been seeing out of this team is what it is and how it conducts its business. The players have played piss-poor, the OL and DL blow chunks, our schemes are soft, predictable and conservative. Where and what can anybody realistically see happening anywhere within this team and organization that is going to transform the present steaming pile into a Super Bowl contender? I don't see any way it could possibly happen now, or even the next few years.

My problem is there's NO single person willing to take ONUS on makes an effort to correct things the next game. I don't even know if they actually care to look at themselves in mirror & admit I effed up! I need to be better then this...I WILL fix it! Just like Gonzo backed it up! I have huge respect for him because that guy had a poor start but he had the balls to admit to everyone in public .....came back & played lights out infront of the whole nation. That's how you put up a show & gain respect of fans. It's not just about WIN & LOSSES.

Financially this team is in great shape next year. And with the talent they already have signed they will get better. This maybe a Braves situation...once some of the old vets move on i.e. TG, SJAX 39, ASamuels, clear the way for younger, and more aggressive talent the team will show a better attitude. Also players like Matt Ryan need to be properly evaluated and put on the hot seat like everyone else. Blank needs to do his job and hold everyone accountable even his $100 million dollar game manager. If you have been to the red zone 18 times and only punch it in 30% that is strictly the issue of the QB. A bad offense doesn't make it to the red zone 18 times in 4 games. So please don't start with the O line this and that. THOSE ARE TERRIBLE EXCUSES and only losers make excuses. Ryan needs to do his F&*$in job...Period. It gets me angry thinking about him throwing the ball out the endzone as much as he does. When on at least 5 times the middle of the line parted like the red sea and he could have walked into the end zone. I know he isn't fast but you don't have to be. Grow a pair...please...

I think it's both dirk and Matt. The play calls are weak. He goes through reads and that middle of the line that was open is now closed. He rolls to his right then throws the ball away.

Ryan's the easiest one to blame, but some of this IMO is Koetter's system...remember, his whole offense is based around running receivers at different depths from the line of scrimmage, which obviously makes the playcalling quite narrow when you get inside the 15 or so. I think we need to take more shots at the end zone when we get around the 20, defenses seem to be playing a zone and blanketing coverage around the first down marker. Systematically, in the red zone we seem just to keep trying to inch towards the goal line rather than really score. Why are we running 5 yd digs or hitches when we're on the 8 yd line (for example)? I understand we have to keep matt's drops short because of the OL, but we had some plays in prior years where even 3 step drops got some distance on them because Ryan was throwing to a spot on the field, what happened to that?

Ryan's the easiest one to blame, but some of this IMO is Koetter's system...remember, his whole offense is based around running receivers at different depths from the line of scrimmage, which obviously makes the playcalling quite narrow when you get inside the 15 or so. I think we need to take more shots at the end zone when we get around the 20, defenses seem to be playing a zone and blanketing coverage around the first down marker. Systematically, in the red zone we seem just to keep trying to inch towards the goal line rather than really score. Why are we running 5 yd digs or hitches when we're on the 8 yd line (for example)? I understand we have to keep matt's drops short because of the OL, but we had some plays in prior years where even 3 step drops got some distance on them because Ryan was throwing to a spot on the field, what happened to that?

Thank you. More people in the end zone. Attack, attack attack. And run the ball so play action works in the red zone.

we've been saying 'Next year' since Ryan's rookie year. I'll get flamed for this, but I just think the way Smitty is is just too old school, he'll never have the sac to be like some of the coaches in today's NFL. With this team we probably would have won 2 super bowls 10 or so years ago before the rules started favoring the offense so much, but if you watch teams like GB, NO, and Seattle, they just have this 'go for it and put them away' mentality that Smitty will never agree with.

Also, I don't get where people want to blame the coordinators. If you think for a second a "play not to lose" coach isn't handcuffing his coordinators, you are smoking some pretty good stuff.

Nice point! The onus totally is on Matty Ice (for making poor throws) & Smith ( for not able to play personnels to strengths, not able to fix 3rd qtr woes, not able to adjust schemes in second half! )

we've been saying 'Next year' since Ryan's rookie year. I'll get flamed for this, but I just think the way Smitty is is just too old school, he'll never have the sac to be like some of the coaches in today's NFL. With this team we probably would have won 2 super bowls 10 or so years ago before the rules started favoring the offense so much, but if you watch teams like GB, NO, and Seattle, they just have this 'go for it and put them away' mentality that Smitty will never agree with.

Also, I don't get where people want to blame the coordinators. If you think for a second a "play not to lose" coach isn't handcuffing his coordinators, you are smoking some pretty good stuff.

It's because of our O.C Julio & Matty Ice are leading on NFL stats sheet. It's because of him & oline we have been in red zone 18 X then any other team in NFL. I respect D.K more then anyone. Nolan you can't blame as much because he does not have playmakers on defense. And that's why it has become so critical for Matty Ice & co to lead this team & just play a complete shoot out with crisp execution in red zone.

Edited by mattyicefalcon