My First Day Dealing With The Shutdown.

Rambler

First off, I`m still working. What I do and the project I work on is considered mission essential but a lot of folks got furloughed today and the mood at NNSY is tense to say the least. Those of us working have been told that even though we are still working, we will not be paid until the budget issue has been resolved. A lot of guys called in sick today ( to teach the government a lesson), but when they found out that annual or sick leave would not be reimbursed a bunch of them started showing up late LOL. There was enough crying going on today to rival a nursery, but that is nothing compared to what will happen if this goes into the next pay period. Can you imagine a supervisor coming up to a guy who has not been paid in 3 weeks and starts demanding that he/she hit the deck plates or else? I can hear the bones crunching now. In any case, I can hang out indefinitely and ride the storm out but there are a lot of folks who aren`t handling this too well. My advice to anyone who will listen is to always keep your options and eyes open as to what your next move will be in the event you do not have a job tomorrow.

It looks like all civilian defense workers are getting called back to work tomorrow. We are apparently covered under the military budget which was never affected. It also appears the furloughed defense workers (of which I am not one) will get back pay for the 4 work days lost.

It looks like all civilian defense workers are getting called back to work tomorrow. We are apparently covered under the military budget which was never affected. It also appears the furloughed defense workers (of which I am not one) will get back pay for the 4 work days lost.

Good to hear. Exactly who is impacted by shutdowns then??

So some government workers are getting paid vacations, while those who have to work can come in late, do no actual work, but still whine about how they are being treated like the rest of us private sector bums (without the threat of being fired.)

Though, I am impressed that some people still have the work ethic to do their job in that kind of environment, it's a dying virtue.

So some government workers are getting paid vacations, while those who have to work can come in late, do no actual work, but still whine about how they are being treated like the rest of us private sector bums (without the threat of being fired.)

Though, I am impressed that some people still have the work ethic to do their job in that kind of environment, it's a dying virtue.

I knew when they furloughed the yard workers that those same workers would get back pay. I wasn`t in that group but I could care or less. I have been working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for quite some time now and didn't want the pay cut. I can tell you that there are a lot of workers I work with who aren`t happy about having to work for the same money that others are getting for free.

Edited by Rambler

Just wondering.

I knew the shutdown wouldn`t effect me because of the nature of my work so I am not the right one to ask. I know why the Tea Party is holding their breath and demanding their way. It may not work, but sooner or late Washington will realize that passing enormously bloated budgets are going to come with a fight. You may not like their tactics, but their intentions are pure. Washington has to change before they completely destroy our country.

Saw this on Facebook. It DOES pose an interesting question...

558830_10151712736819072_1802528830_n.jpg

I can give you one example. National Park workers. Are National Parks essential? I would like to say yes many would disagree. Are National Park workers essential? Definitely no but it is you can`t run a National Park without National Park workers. Are food inspectors essential? Many of them have been furloughed. I am as big a fiscal hawk as they come but I do understand the need for Federal workers. It is the waste and abuse that drives most of us (including me) crazy.

I knew the shutdown wouldn`t effect me because of the nature of my work so I am not the right one to ask. I know why the Tea Party is holding their breath and demanding their way. It may not work, but sooner or late Washington will realize that passing enormously bloated budgets are going to come with a fight. You may not like their tactics, but their intentions are pure. Washington has to change before they completely destroy our country.

I'm not questioning their intentions. I was just wondering if the people out of work or otherwise inconvenienced think it's worth it to take a stand on Obamacare. I mean, this isn't about the budgets at all, according to the Tea Party. It's about stopping implementation of Obamacare.

Guest terryowens81

ACA is stopping itself because it has nearly doubled the cost of premiums in most states, though most potential applicants don't know this yet because they can't even log on to the website these government idiots have had months to build. The glaring lack of execution represents low expectations.

They tell you they will lower the cost of insurance and it doubles. Sounds a lot like barrels of crude oil and mortgage derivatives to me. There is no moral high ground. Follow the money.

ACA is stopping itself because it has nearly doubled the cost of premiums in most states, though most potential applicants don't know this yet because they can't even log on to the website these government idiots have had months to build. The glaring lack of execution represents low expectations.

They tell you they will lower the cost of insurance and it doubles. Sounds a lot like barrels of crude oil and mortgage derivatives to me. There is no moral high ground. Follow the money.

My premiums haven't doubled...

Where are you getting this information... I wish people were using facts and not injecting opinion into this debate.

I just got the call from my supervisor.

I'm back at work tomorrow.

I can give you one example. National Park workers. Are National Parks essential? I would like to say yes many would disagree. Are National Park workers essential? Definitely no but it is you can`t run a National Park without National Park workers. Are food inspectors essential? Many of them have been furloughed. I am as big a fiscal hawk as they come but I do understand the need for Federal workers. It is the waste and abuse that drives most of us (including me) crazy.

Dude, as soon as you don't have anyone watching the National Parks, some idiot would burn it down due to carelessness or another idiot who will de-face something in order to make some type of statement against government.

Seriously question here, do you think all of this is worth it to make a stand on Obamacare? I'm wondering how people who are close to those actually affected view the rationale behind the shut down.

My answer is yes and I'm about as close as you will get to being affected and knowing those affected very well. I know people who could use healthcare but they have gotten quotes that they simply can't afford nor do they find useful. a $10,000 deductible and preventative care does them no good when the same preventative care would cost them less out of pocket than the total of their monthly premiums.

Having said that, I whole-heartedly agree with what Jesse Ventura said recently in an interview with Piers Morgan. Everyone should have access to healthcare and if we weren't so active miliarily around the world, we could pay for any and all care several times over...

Guest Deisel

Dude, as soon as you don't have anyone watching the National Parks, some idiot would burn it down due to carelessness or another idiot who will de-face something in order to make some type of statement against government.

Privatize the national parks. I frequent them often and the Rangers do a fair job and are most likely happy folks, but they can be run MUCH more effectively privately. I'll give you an example. Yosemitte - Gate fee's are usually $25 per car, $5 per head in car. The park gets almost a million visitors per year. Thats a lot of money. Why wouldn't the govt keep this cash cow open when they're paying the rangers $12 per hour to be there? Makes NO SENSE.

Privatize the national parks. I frequent them often and the Rangers do a fair job and are most likely happy folks, but they can be run MUCH more effectively privately. I'll give you an example. Yosemitte - Gate fee's are usually $25 per car, $5 per head in car. The park gets almost a million visitors per year. Thats a lot of money. Why wouldn't the govt keep this cash cow open when they're paying the rangers $12 per hour to be there? Makes NO SENSE.

Because the Republicans refused to provide the funds to pay the rangers unless they got a repeal of Obamacare?

I could see licensing different companies to run the parks. I have no heartburn with that as long as the U.S. Government continues to own all of the property. I want to thank everyone for not slamming my last unintelligible post. Like I said, my hours have been long and after a couple of drinks I don`t even understand myself.

I could see licensing different companies to run the parks. I have no heartburn with that as long as the U.S. Government continues to own all of the property. I want to thank everyone for not slamming my last unintelligible post. Like I said, my hours have been long and after a couple of drinks I don`t even understand myself.

Just glad that you're not as adversely affected by all of this. Political differences aside, I never want people on the boards to be harmed financially or otherwise.