How Can An N F L Franchise Operate So Despicably?

jb 3.0

Bucs continue to be unable to get out of their own way on Freeman

Posted by Mike Florio on October 1, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT

If the Buccaneers have a plan for dealing with the aftermath of benching quarterback Josh Freeman, we’re not sure what it is.

We’re not sure they’re sure, either.

Six days ago, the former franchise quarterback officially fell out of favor with the franchise, removed from his starting job and, by Sunday, lanced from the active, game-day roster. Already paid more than $490,000 to not play, the Buccaneers are now trying to find a way to unload the remaining $6.44 million by trading him.

And by

for Freeman, the Buccaneers hardly are operating from a position of strength.

If/when (when) they don’t find a trade partner, they’ll have three options: (1) hope a starting quarterback suffers a serious injury in the next four weeks; (2) cut Freeman and pay the balance of his base salary (currently, $6.44 million); or (3) try to build a case for a suspension without pay for conduct detrimental to the team, or disqualification for termination pay. (Per a league source, the Bucs have not yet provided the written notice warning him that he risks losing his right to termination pay by failing to show the required “good faith” in his employment.)

The smart move after Monday night’s unexpected turn for the worse would be to cut Freeman, pay Freeman, close the books, and move on. Give him what he wants in order to get what the Bucs need.

But the Bucs appear to be intent on continuing to push the issue, clumsily trying to build a case to keep all or part of the money they owe him. The latest twist came Monday, when as Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reported the Bucs told Freeman not to attend a team meeting, creating the impression among teammates that he’d skipped it.

After the latest twist broke, G.M. Mark Dominik said, via Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times, that Dominik excused Freeman from the 7:45 a.m. ET team meeting because coach Greg Schiano wanted to talk to Freeman about the events that transpired Monday night.

That makes no sense, and it’s starting to make Dominik look like George Kokinis to Eric Mangini, an ultimately toothless figurehead who is doing whatever the coach tells him to do — no matter how ill-advised it may be.

Given today’s development, it appears that Schiano wants to provoke Freeman into doing something that can be characterized as conduct detrimental to the team, so that Freeman can be suspended and up to four of those $490,000 game checks can be withheld.

But it all seems to be backfiring. The players now seem to be getting wise to what’s going on, making the distraction even bigger and the urgency to move on from Freeman even greater.

Still, the Bucs (i.e., Schiano) continue to refuse to give Freeman what he wants, even if it’s what he so desperately needs.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bucs continue to be unable to get out of their own way on Freeman

Posted by Mike Florio on October 1, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT

If the Buccaneers have a plan for dealing with the aftermath of benching quarterback Josh Freeman, we’re not sure what it is.

We’re not sure they’re sure, either.

Six days ago, the former franchise quarterback officially fell out of favor with the franchise, removed from his starting job and, by Sunday, lanced from the active, game-day roster. Already paid more than $490,000 to not play, the Buccaneers are now trying to find a way to unload the remaining $6.44 million by trading him.

And by

for Freeman, the Buccaneers hardly are operating from a position of strength.

If/when (when) they don’t find a trade partner, they’ll have three options: (1) hope a starting quarterback suffers a serious injury in the next four weeks; (2) cut Freeman and pay the balance of his base salary (currently, $6.44 million); or (3) try to build a case for a suspension without pay for conduct detrimental to the team, or disqualification for termination pay. (Per a league source, the Bucs have not yet provided the written notice warning him that he risks losing his right to termination pay by failing to show the required “good faith” in his employment.)

The smart move after Monday night’s unexpected turn for the worse would be to cut Freeman, pay Freeman, close the books, and move on. Give him what he wants in order to get what the Bucs need.

But the Bucs appear to be intent on continuing to push the issue, clumsily trying to build a case to keep all or part of the money they owe him. The latest twist came Monday, when as Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reported the Bucs told Freeman not to attend a team meeting, creating the impression among teammates that he’d skipped it.

After the latest twist broke, G.M. Mark Dominik said, via Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times, that Dominik excused Freeman from the 7:45 a.m. ET team meeting because coach Greg Schiano wanted to talk to Freeman about the events that transpired Monday night.

That makes no sense, and it’s starting to make Dominik look like George Kokinis to Eric Mangini, an ultimately toothless figurehead who is doing whatever the coach tells him to do — no matter how ill-advised it may be.

Given today’s development, it appears that Schiano wants to provoke Freeman into doing something that can be characterized as conduct detrimental to the team, so that Freeman can be suspended and up to four of those $490,000 game checks can be withheld.

But it all seems to be backfiring. The players now seem to be getting wise to what’s going on, making the distraction even bigger and the urgency to move on from Freeman even greater.

Still, the Bucs (i.e., Schiano) continue to refuse to give Freeman what he wants, even if it’s what he so desperately needs.

I do question smearing a player you're trying to trade. Doesn't that destroy hi value to other teams??

You won't get a 6th or 7th round pick for him now unless a team is really desperate. Now they know they can wait to you cut him.

So now you get nothing from a 1st round pick.

Heard on the radio yesterday, that some of the Bucs defenders apologized to some of the Oline of the Cards, for being forced to attack their victory formation.

If that's true...........dang.

I miss Raheem in our division. He wasn't the greatest. He was a dumbazz at times, but..... not even he would lower his standards and the standards of his team by forcing them to attack victory formations.

From a Panther fans standpoint, it reminds me of when the panthers went from Dom Capers to George Seifert.

I'm pissed and I'm not even a Bucs fan!!!

This P.O.S. has that effect on people! He's a lousy coach that tries to run his team as a fifedom, then lies about it.

The man's to the point of being certifiable, yet the Glazers sit back while he & Dominick destroy the entire franchise.

Speaking of Dominick, that little worm needs to take the same vehicle outta town. He's allowed Schiano to roll him over on his belly and make him his *****! It's beyond disgusting!

I'm pissed and I'm not even a Bucs fan!!!

yeah i'm with you.

I heard his little interview this morning when asked if he was responsible for the leak, his response:

"Absolutely..... not"(while smirking)

this guy will kill that franchise and will go down in history as the bucs worst coach.

and probably one of the worst coaches in the NFL.

Freeman should be traded, i'd say let him find a home with the jags, or the browns.

**** the jets could use him as a solid backup.

Whats worse is you have to choose between to really crappy outcomes.

1) bucs cont to lose out every week so they are forced to take the trash out this year.

2) Bucs start winning and give these idoits another few years of excuses while running people over and makeing the franchise a non funny joke.

Its bad when losing out sounds preferable to option 2.

This has "roll up the moving vans" written all over it.

Build up the TV numbers by buying all the unused tickets, putting a soap opera around it to build prurient interest, and have an up and coming town like OKC or SLC come- a- knocking.

They did the same sort of shenanigans in Houston with the Oilers, Cleveland with the Browns and Anaheim with the Rams.

Tampa Bay may just be another town that used to have a football team when all is said and done.

This has "roll up the moving vans" written all over it.

Build up the TV numbers by buying all the unused tickets, putting a soap opera around it to build prurient interest, and have an up and coming town like OKC or SLC come- a- knocking.

They did the same sort of shenanigans in Houston with the Oilers, Cleveland with the Browns and Anaheim with the Rams.

Tampa Bay may just be another town that used to have a football team when all is said and done.

If that happens I truely expect JB to be on the news after going Taliban/postal at One Buc Place.

I disagree, Jags would be a target for relocation before Tampa. The Tampa market is a much wealthier city than Jacksonville. The Bucs have been competitive and defense is playing at a high level and just lost a lot of close games while Jags scored 5 points in past two home games!

Look like Jags may be blowing up team and the trade with Ravens was just the start

And he’s likely not finished. The Jaguars haven’t played well and weren’t likely to win more than a couple of games, so why not essentially blow the team up now and get a head start on 2014 and 2015? There are several other veteran players who could be traded: guard Uche Nwaneri and running back Maurice Jones-Drew, for example.

http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/996/monroe-trade-may-just-be-first-move?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Edited by Big A