Steve Young On 2013 Saints

Kevo

Difference was in 2009 we were running the ball effectively. Unless we get the ground game going, I believe its gonna come back to bite us in the butt.

Agreed.

Back then we had Carl Nicks,Jonathan Goodwin and a healthy Jahri Evans clearing the way for our running game.

Edited by Kevo

I've watched the O-line play real closely and we are showing weakness at C, and on ocassion, both G's. RG I get because Evans is nursing a hammy, but Grubbs isn't effective in the run game like Nicks was. And BDP has been pushed around more this year than last. CB has held his own so far and the same at times with ZS. It's an area of concern, maybe my only serious concern with the team this year.

Guest fibonacci

I've watched the O-line play real closely and we are showing weakness at C, and on ocassion, both G's. RG I get because Evans is nursing a hammy, but Grubbs isn't effective in the run game like Nicks was. And BDP has been pushed around more this year than last. CB has held his own so far and the same at times with ZS. It's an area of concern, maybe my only serious concern with the team this year.

hmmmm did not know this. thanks

side note: I think to many teams gave up on the running game. the teams that still do it, still have had great success.

^^^ this is one of the reasons why the panthers will be something to fight. they are dong the 50/50 with pass/run.

When we got Grubbs, I thought that his strength would be run blocking because he was a part of the Ravens offense.

I was wrong about that.

Agreed.

Back then we had Carl Nicks,Jonathan Goodwin and a healthy Jahri Evans clearing the way for our running game.

Plus all the tough games were at home... 3-0 Jets, 5-0 Giants, 7-3 Patriots (that were somehow favored by many). This year it's @ Patriots, @ Seattle, @ Chicago, etc. If Saints get the #1 seed this year, no one could say they didn't earn it.

Plus all the tough games were at home... 3-0 Jets, 5-0 Giants, 7-3 Patriots (that were somehow favored by many). This year it's @ Patriots, @ Seattle, @ Chicago, etc. If Saints get the #1 seed this year, no one could say they didn't earn it.

That's true.

They're still really good at getting out on screens but struggling where it matters. I honestly think it's due to Kromer being gone.

They're still really good at getting out on screens but struggling where it matters. I honestly think it's due to Kromer being gone.

That's what I've been thinking, Kromer leaving. At the same time, they Oline started off pretty bad last year in first 3 games but played well the rest of the season starting game 4. They weren't run blocking well yesterday, but they did pass protect well after first qtr.

That's what I've been thinking, Kromer leaving. At the same time, they Oline started off pretty bad last year in first 3 games but played well the rest of the season starting game 4. They weren't run blocking well yesterday, but they did pass protect well after first qtr.

First three games last year, Kromer was filling in as head coach. Once he was able to get back to the O-Line, they improved noticeably.

Well, I'm leaning toward attributing our run game woes to a combination of early rust/new blocking schemes and an unlucky draw of teams with above average interior DLines.

I haven't given up hope that the team's will is to get the run game going. Hopefully, we'll see improvement over the next few games.

So far I can see a comparison to '09 as well.

Steve Young on #Saints. "Looks like the same team that won the Super Bowl" #ListenClosely #MNF

Poor Steve Young, he suffered many concussions during his career.

Guess it was bound to catch up with him eventually.

First three games last year, Kromer was filling in as head coach. Once he was able to get back to the O-Line, they improved noticeably.

I forgot about those first 3 games were without Vitt. Hopefully they wasn't the reason for rebound b/c we need to protect Brees. On the other hand, if you looked at the articles I posted from PFF, one mentioned this stat:

All of this led to Brees being pressured on only 6 of his 42 drop-backs — only Matt Cassel was pressured on a lower percentage of drop-backs this week.

Miami has a pretty good DLine that performed well even without Wake, but Saints Oline stepped up in pass protection. Keep that up and improve run blocking and we're golden!