Smitty And Td Defend Personnel Decisions & 'remain Confident'

Sandy5prings

I'm not sure if ole Mr.Blank had prodded their azzes, but I don't recall Smitty and Dimitroff giving such interviews mid-season.I thought Jeff Schulz did a pretty good job with the questions.

Please do read

Q: What’s your view of being 1-3?

Dimitroff: “I’m agitated. But I remain very optimistic about the season and what we’ll do as a team. In the big picture, it means a gut check for us all in the organization.”

Smith: “We’re disappointed. But you’re 1-3 and you can’t get to .500 in one game. You go through the process like always and prepare for the next opponent. We don’t listen to the noise outside the building.”

Q: Does the team lack physicality?

Smith: “It’s a game of match-ups. Some weeks the match-ups have been in our favor and some weeks it hasn’t been. The thing that bothers me the most is we’re not playing as efficiently as we’re capable of playing, and at times we’re not playing smart football. We’re not winning situational football and we’re not winning the penalty battle.”

Q: What has been the biggest disappointment?

Dimitroff: “Categorically, we need to score more points. We need to thrive in tough yardage situations – the red zone – and we need to stand up and thrive on third-and-long situations.”

Q: Can the lack of efficiency be attributed to younger players in the lineup?

Smith: “We can’t use that as an excuse. And it’s not just the younger guys. It’s everybody. When you get down to the red zone, you’re playing in 30 yards of space (including the end zone), and you have to be more precise and we haven’t been. … It’s a collaborative effort. Is there a missed throw? Yes. Is there a route that was not run correctly? Yes. Is there a protection issue? Yes. It goes across the board. Are there coaching issues and (incorrect) decisions that have been made by me? Yes.”

Dimitroff: “Sometimes when you put younger players in certain situations, there’s going to be challenges. We hope to minimize (problems) as much as possible but realistically there are going to be mishaps along the way. It’s how we respond to that that will dictate how we do in the long run.”

Q: Do you second-guess any of the personnel decisions you made?

Smith: “No. You never second-guess any decision you make. When you go through the decision-making process, it’s thoroughly vetted, it’s a consensus thing and you move forward.”

Dimitroff: “No. Not one. I have no reservations about any of the moves we made in the offseason.We kept a lot of our players because we wanted to keep the core of the team together.”

Q: Is it possible some of the younger players you believed were ready for bigger roles might not have been?

Smith: “The best way to answer that is every year it’s a new set of circumstances and a new dynamic on the football team. As coaches, we have to identify (players’) weaknesses, accentuate their strengths and try to protect them and not put them in situations where they don’t have a chance to succeed.”

Dimitroff: (specifically addressing the offensive line changes): “I expected there to be some challenges as they grew together as a unit. We had challenges last year with a group that had been together for a number of years. … It’s easy to hurl invectives, unfortunately for them. That said, I’m encouraged by their development.”

Q: If you remain confident in some of the younger players, does that suggest they need to be coached up better?biggrin.png

Smith: “We haven’t gotten the outcome we wanted so we have to do a better job as coaches getting them prepared to play.”

Dimitroff:: “The natural order is that there’s a process to developing players. I believe we have adept coaches who understand how to coach and school young payers. In the end, it’s our job as a personnel staff to bring in the right players and for the coaching staff to coach them, and I believe we continue to do a sound job of doing that. At the risk of sounding cliché, it’s a fine line between winning and losing and unfortunately for us the fine line has tipped away from the W column. And I’m confident this can be corrected, period.”

If Dimi really doesn't think he has whiffed on the O-Line (and the D-Line, for that matter) then either 1) he's not watching the games or 2) he's letting his ego blind him more than he'd like to admit.

did you see the look on his face when they put the camera on him in the first quarter of the patriots game. Trust me, he knows

We also have to realize that the situations that the rookies and guys who don't have that much experience are going to be picked on by opposing QB's. It's like some of you want Joplo Bartu to be Patrick Willis the first chance he gets. All great players got picked on and learned from the experiences. If we end up missing the playoffs, I just hope that these guys get some valuable experience going forward

Q: What has been the biggest disappointment?

Dimitroff: “Categorically, we need to score more points. We need to thrive in tough yardage situations – the red zone – and we need to stand up and thrive on third-and-long situations.”

At least there was a little bit of honesty in this interview.

They both act like they are in baseball. They dont have 162 games to get it right. The season is 1/4th done. We dont have forever and a day to wait for this "process" to suddenly come together. TD needs to stop trying to act like the smartest guy in football and make the right picks. He reaches to much and stays too loyal to players that have never panned out IE Stephen Nicholas, Sam Baker, Harry Douglass etc etc. Whats wrong with uprgrading? Smitty is another story. He needs to start coaching like he has a pair. He is too Jacksonville-centric. So sick of "we'll get it right" How about you get in someone's *****!

No reason for them not to be confident.

They have built one of the most successful franchises in the nfl over the last 5 years.

Its not like we are getting blown out by 50 points

We have had an opportunity to go a head or tie the game in 2 of our 3 losses.

A few tweaks here some health here.......some the refs actually calling BLATANT face mask and BLATANT not just holding on defense... not just pass interference but strait up mugging there and we are at least 3-1.

We beat the jets, go into the bye healthy and get ready to go on a roll.

We can do it because we HAVE done it.

And that is why I am confident in our team and that is why I KNOW our front office is confident in our team

Wouldn't you be just as angry if they said "We screwed up, a lot of our personnel blows. Injuries have ravaged us and we're getting beat repeatedly by ourselves and then our opponents. Lets all bend over and kiss our ***** goodbye!" Uh, yea. This is a business where you have to believe in yourself and the approaches you go through, win, lose, or draw because its hard winning in the NFL.

Edited by dthar2109

No reason for them not to be confident.

They have built one of the most successful franchises in the nfl over the last 5 years.

Its not like we are getting blown out by 50 points

We have had an opportunity to go a head or tie the game in 2 of our 3 losses.

A few tweaks here some health here.......some the refs actually calling BLATANT face mask and BLATANT not just holding on defense... not just pass interference but strait up mugging there and we are at least 3-1.

We beat the jets, go into the bye healthy and get ready to go on a roll.

We can do it because we HAVE done it.

And that is why I am confident in our team and that is why I KNOW our front office is confident in our team

you're either the biggest Homer I've ever seen or just plain dumb . don't know which one yet .

After watching the replay on Rewind, Blalock got manhandled on several plays and then flat missed his scond level block on the DB to get Julio in the end zone. Then baffling play calling....a fade to Tony when that is a Julio play all day.

The line can get better but our D is hot garbage. No pressure by Peters or Bab and they dare us to blitz as we have ZERO help in pass protection from our backers. They are frozen, unable to commit to the run by Brady would torch them over the middle. Steve Nick looked like a Jr HSer on the Pats first scoring drive- completely confused on their first TD.

you're either the biggest Homer I've ever seen or just plain dumb . don't know which one yet .

Really?

So what part of my post is inaccurate

Have we not been among the teams with the most amount of wins in their tenure? check the numbers.... we have

Did we NOT have Jackson drop the go ahead pass in the end zone vs the saints??? check the tape.. we did

Did we not have the game tying pass dropped by Toilio vs the pats? Check the game.., we did

Did tony not get MUGGED in the last series?? Ask Colinsworth.,.,, he ******* highlighted it.

Have we not went on a major roll after starting 2-3? Check 2011...we started 2-3 then rattled off 8 of 10 games.

So again tell me where I am so wrong and " dumb"?? If you cant why don't you STFU and pay ******* attention.

Honestly, I worry less about what they say than what they do or don't do.

If we start to see some dramatically different redzone playcalling, Smitty can keep talking 'process' in an endless loop for all I care.

No one is going to admit that their belief system is wrong mid season.

We had 2 tds at the end of the game in 2 out of our last 3 losses dropped.

play calling has not been great but it does not mean much when your guys drop the ball or you over throw open receivers ( HD and Roddy)

Efficiency, the Process, blah blah blah blah. Same crap, different week. The fact that Smitty dodged the question of physicality tells you all you need to know about this team. They are soft.

If he said yes:

He's clearly in denial, this team isn't physical at all. FIRE HIM!

If he said no:

He's a defeatist who has given up. FIRE HIM!