Face it, we have a team that's soft. ...

Yeah, I'm a Mod, but I'm not a homer. This team is in trouble, but I'm not gonna sit here saying I wish they were the Saints or the Patriots or the Niners or whoever. We need to handle our own business and clean up our own house. You can flame away if you want, but it's the truth!

See you Monday night.

BB-

Lets see if Smith can instill a toughness to them. I think the best way would be to pull out all the stops and play the entire game they way they did the last quarter of the NE game.

If that loss propels them into collectively taking their game up a notch, at least something good came of it.

Don't think it's a talent issue, or even physical toughness that's really the problem. It's a mental thing- the Oline is thinking about assignments rather than just blowing through the guy in front of them, everybody is tight in the 3rd quarter and in the red zone.

Love to see the Oline come together and start mauling people. They average 6 3 and 320. Use that advantage. Has to start with the O.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a coach named Dan Reeves. yep believe it or not he took us to the Superbowl . a lot of you fans seem to forget that . and yet Mike Smith is our greatest head coach. he couldn't get to the Superbowl with a ticket .

You're pulling out Reeves when the criticism of Smitty is that he tries to sit on a lead? Really???

Anyone here older than 13 would know that Reeves is about 3 times as conservative as Smitty. His entire philosophy was establish the run, go play action after that was accomplished, and go back to the run when you have the lead to milk the clock and win the game.

Fortunately for Dan he had a big horse with a number 32 on his back. It didn't work so well when the horse went lame.

Yes the Falcons are soft. But there is also predictability in our play calling. On the offensive side of the ball we should be dictating what happens not the other way around. When are we going to finally stop settling for the 3rd and 5 yard gain on a 3rd and 9 yard down? Do we have to be down in the 4th quarter with what appears no chance to win the game to finally bomb it down the field? What better way to open up the field then to throw some long passes throughout the game to Julio or White??? Did the Saints let up at the end of the game vs the Dolphins on either side of the ball? No. They continued the attack. What would the Falcons do in this situation? Most likely go conservative on offense with 3 and outs and on defense don't give up the 65 yard TD but give up the 3rd and 19 conversion. I never see the defense attack. They play on their heels and let the ball come to them rather then going to the ball.

Yes the Falcons are soft. But there is also predictability in our play calling. On the offensive side of the ball we should be dictating what happens not the other way around. When are we going to finally stop settling for the 3rd and 5 yard gain on a 3rd and 9 yard down? Do we have to be down in the 4th quarter with what appears no chance to win the game to finally bomb it down the field? What better way to open up the field then to throw some long passes throughout the game to Julio or White??? Did the Saints let up at the end of the game vs the Dolphins on either side of the ball? No. They continued the attack. What would the Falcons do in this situation? Most likely go conservative on offense with 3 and outs and on defense don't give up the 65 yard TD but give up the 3rd and 19 conversion. I never see the defense attack. They play on their heels and let the ball come to them rather then going to the ball.

And folks act as if saying that is wrong?! Drew Brees has set records buddy. The Saints won a Super Bowl, and have won a lot of games. All while fielding one of the most potent offenses for years. Paying attention to some of the things they are doing on offense could be a big help.

But if you approach the notion close minded with the just trust what we know attitude we can expect no more of what we have already done. Even watching the Broncos and Peyton's mastery of the game. But don't just shoot the idea down without giving it thought.

1. no offense. I don't care.

2. People who complain 95% don't own season tickets or even go to a game that year.

- until then I don't want to hear crap. I am in my seats a good 30 minutes before kick off. and I feel I do my part and it's all I can do. I can only worry about myself.

- - by the way, worrying is a sin.

3. move threads when they are clearly not related to falcons. but hey, it's been tat way forever. So I could care less

4. I realized we had a lot of pink hat/fairweather fans. These people are either that or need to know what a losing season is.

5. no offense, I'm tired of hearing smith is the problem. Eagle fans made a mistake of saying to get rid of Reid for his one bad season. (I pray we don't make that mistake.)

6. See you then. you know I'll be in my seat way before time. section 322 actually is really good and a lot of us stuck it out to the end Sunday night.

The highlighted portion of your post would be the only thing that offends me. Some fans of this team, whom I view as loyal/rabid as yourself and other STHs, but due to limited financial resources or geographically isolated, are unable to attend games, but have every right to voice their concerns in a constructive, civil fashion. Edited by vabchbirdlover

I've been a Falcons fan through and through since I was a kid. I supported us through the Mora era, through 2003, through 2007, etc. I am a true fan and have stuck with this team through the hard times. That saying, I am not going to watch another game until we can get back on track to the playoffs. I believe we will get back on track, based on the schedule, but I just can't keep getting my hopes up week after week just to be disappointed like this. It's just too heartbreaking.

Guest fibonacci

The highlighted portion of your post would be the only thing that offends me. Some fans of this team, whom I view as loyal/rabid as yourself and other STHs, but due to limited financial resources or geographically isolated, are unable to attend games, but have every right to voice their concerns in a constructive, civil fashion.

1. i respect a lot of people. and recently I'm just in a different state of mind. I'm finding myself distance from these boards every day. it's not cause of the team, but from rotten/negaive attitudes to semi trolls. And I'm just tired of waisting my energy on things here which no one seems to turn away from. karst,supes,gritz are easy to pick for being great members. but you, poker steve, william moore, blkbkdog (and a lot in RC) and a few others deserve credit as well.

(and sorry if I did not sayyur name. there is a lot of great fans here.).

anyhow it's like 5 out of 100 that are good. and I'm just getting tired of it.

2. Sorry, I think you took me wrong. I used to complain like crazy with the fans not showing up. then I went into a religous state of mind and started to meditate. And soon I found myself saying this.

1005508_526220734118877_1560345712_n.jpg

I just gave up on bitching. and started with myself. I feel showing an example is working better then bitching. I remember the day when I was sitting alone with packer fans at the dome. but this year during the pats game, I found a lot of fans staying because I said I was not giving up EVER and with 6 minutes on the clock any team can come back. And when I went to leave people said, "man that was awesome. it sucked we lost but that was a heck of a game".

anyhow, sorry you read me wrong.

and when you see me not on here much. you will look back at this and know why.

Namaste'

rise up

2. Sorry, I think you took me wrong. I used to complain like crazy with the fans not showing up.

1005508_526220734118877_1560345712_n.jpg

Namaste'

rise up

Maybe I did take you wrong. As far as fans not showing up/or being in their seats on time, being that I have never set foot inside the Ga Dome, I wouldn't be qualified to offer a opinion one way or another. Have a nice evening sir.

I've been a Mod on these boards for a few years now, and I have to say that nothing pisses me off more than to see a bunch of fans complaining about the Falcons by comparing them to a rival team - like the Saints - as if "wishing we (the Falcons) had an offense, QB, head coach or defense like them" is actually going to change things. I mean, think about that for moment. You're wishing for something that you KNOW isn't going to happen, and you use these message boards to praise and prop up other teams as if doing that is going to result in some magical metamorphosis of the Falcons 53-man roster.

Face it, we have a team that's soft. Even players on the New England Patriots pointed this out in their post-game comments Sunday night. We have O-linemen who are out of shape and penalty-prone. We have a secondary that won't tackle. We have LBs who seem to spend more time making film (D-Block) than studying it. Our fans refuse to be in their seats sooner than five minutes before kick-off for a nationally-televised game. These problems are all internal to the Falcons and need to be addressed as such. Clicking your heels together three times and wishing the Falcons were some other team isn't going to change any of that.

You want to talk about another team? There are forums for that. As for me, my focus is on the Falcons. I chose to not renew my Georgia Tech season tickets just so I could add two additional Falcons season tickets to the two I already had. I don't say that to boast. I'm just saying that the Falcons - and only the Falcons - is where my professional sports allegiance lies, and I don't really give a rat's *** about any other team - regardless how well they're playing. We need to get OUR house in order and you don't do that by comparing it to someone else's house and wishing and hoping the Falcons' house was like theirs. If that's how you feel, then, perhaps your loyalties should lie elsewhere.

What's going on with this team right now lies at the feet of the Falcons braintrust, beginning with Mike Smith. I'm not calling for him to be fired, so don't get it twisted. Smitty is the best head coach in the history of this franchise, but to have players who themselves admit they're out of shape (Holmes), and players who are undisciplined on the field with penalties are all the responsibility of the head coach. That's where it starts as far as I'm concerned. If you ask me, the Falcons are lazy. That's the bottom line. They've gone into this season resting on the laurels of last year's success of a 13-3 record and they've gotten fat.

Yeah, I'm a Mod, but I'm not a homer. This team is in trouble, but I'm not gonna sit here saying I wish they were the Saints or the Patriots or the Niners or whoever. We need to handle our own business and clean up our own house. You can flame away if you want, but it's the truth!

See you Monday night.

BB-

Well Banker. I've known you for 11 years now. One thing I know about you is you hate a Pantie. Wait til you see their front seven. You will be sick. Trust me. They should have swept us last year.

Truth is all three of our division rivals have top 10 defenses. But the Panties will pss you off the most and you know it. Same with Rev and the Aints.

Mods might need to take a couple ski trips this year. I think it's gonna be ugly.

Lord knows I hope I'm wrong. I'm hoping we can pull an Atlanta Dream. Go .500, get in the playoffs, whoop some as and get to the championship series.

You know Banker the irony is that being a 4-3 defensive coach, I think there was an expectation that his team would be tough and physical. Our most physical players are probably Quizz and Roddy. Kind of LOL but it's not a stretch to say that. Baker might be the biggest sissy on this team, honestly to me is just looks like sometimes he's not even trying, that he just accepts getting beat. The thing that probably annoys me the most though is the missed tackles, it's a weird epidemic that this roster seems to have no matter how many new faces it has.

I can almost hear DT and Smitty in the war room on draft day:

DT: "I don't know, Mike, this guy doesn't fill the hole well and has a tendency to arm tackle."

Smith: "Yes, but he rarely gets beat past 20 yards downfield on post routes."

DT: "But...he's an outside linebacker..."

I've been a Mod on these boards for a few years now, and I have to say that nothing pisses me off more than to see a bunch of fans complaining about the Falcons by comparing them to a rival team - like the Saints - as if "wishing we (the Falcons) had an offense, QB, head coach or defense like them" is actually going to change things. I mean, think about that for moment. You're wishing for something that you KNOW isn't going to happen, and you use these message boards to praise and prop up other teams as if doing that is going to result in some magical metamorphosis of the Falcons 53-man roster.

Face it, we have a team that's soft. Even players on the New England Patriots pointed this out in their post-game comments Sunday night. We have O-linemen who are out of shape and penalty-prone. We have a secondary that won't tackle. We have LBs who seem to spend more time making film (D-Block) than studying it. Our fans refuse to be in their seats sooner than five minutes before kick-off for a nationally-televised game. These problems are all internal to the Falcons and need to be addressed as such. Clicking your heels together three times and wishing the Falcons were some other team isn't going to change any of that.

You want to talk about another team? There are forums for that. As for me, my focus is on the Falcons. I chose to not renew my Georgia Tech season tickets just so I could add two additional Falcons season tickets to the two I already had. I don't say that to boast. I'm just saying that the Falcons - and only the Falcons - is where my professional sports allegiance lies, and I don't really give a rat's *** about any other team - regardless how well they're playing. We need to get OUR house in order and you don't do that by comparing it to someone else's house and wishing and hoping the Falcons' house was like theirs. If that's how you feel, then, perhaps your loyalties should lie elsewhere.

What's going on with this team right now lies at the feet of the Falcons braintrust, beginning with Mike Smith. I'm not calling for him to be fired, so don't get it twisted. Smitty is the best head coach in the history of this franchise, but to have players who themselves admit they're out of shape (Holmes), and players who are undisciplined on the field with penalties are all the responsibility of the head coach. That's where it starts as far as I'm concerned. If you ask me, the Falcons are lazy. That's the bottom line. They've gone into this season resting on the laurels of last year's success of a 13-3 record and they've gotten fat.

See you Monday night.

BB-

people think I'm insane or complete clown for voicing the same sentiments in a way that suits me. We ALL here agree to what you said but, my apprehension still remains HOW DO WE CLEAN UP OUR HOUSE? WHO'S GOING TO DO IT? If me & you get paid to do our job everyday & if we slack of week in week out .....what will happen? That's how the entire corporate world works....so why there's a difference or complacency in our house?

I like this post because it is calling for blatant honesty. So that's what I will give. Let's start with the very top of the Falcons braintrust. The marketing department in the front office. Rise Up??? Really? WTF is that? With a gospel choir singing and Sam Jackson preaching...Seriously? That is softer then a pack of Charmin. I hate the slogan and I hate it makes our team the nicest franchise in the NFL. It needs to go. When another team enters the dome they need to feel fear, anxiety, respect, etc. Rise up makes another team feel like they are playing a bunch of choir boys.

Agree 100%

We have brought our own hype, I remember when our goal was to physically dominate teams, SJax was a bad buy IMO because we are not a power run team anymore our guys are too soft up front, that is why I wanted Bush, if we are going to be a finesse team we might as well go full.

D is build for us to have a lead with our Dbs without it they are terrible, I wish we had a better pass rush but for some reason people thought the young guys (late round draft picks) were going to step up.

Turn the clock back and roll Mario Williams up in here.

You're pulling out Reeves when the criticism of Smitty is that he tries to sit on a lead? Really???

Anyone here older than 13 would know that Reeves is about 3 times as conservative as Smitty. His entire philosophy was establish the run, go play action after that was accomplished, and go back to the run when you have the lead to milk the clock and win the game.

Fortunately for Dan he had a big horse with a number 32 on his back. It didn't work so well when the horse went lame.

say what you want . dan Reeves took two teams to the Superbowl . Denver and Atlanta . Mike Smith 1 - 4 in playoff games . so exactly what's your point here ?

See you Monday night.

BB-

It's funny how teams tend to mirror the city they represent. Pittsburgh is blue collar and boisterous, New York is pure media-driven snot, Cleveland is the Mistake By The Lake, (ha) Miami is young and trendy. And yes...Atlanta is lazy. The city and its people are lazy sports fans. They're completely fair-weathered (watch how many empty seats there are at Turner tomorrow and then get ready for the usual ESPN ridicule, totally deserved) and they simply don't demand the same success from their teams as do other cities.

Anyway, great post Banker.

I like this post because it is calling for blatant honesty. So that's what I will give. Let's start with the very top of the Falcons braintrust. The marketing department in the front office. Rise Up??? Really? WTF is that? With a gospel choir singing and Sam Jackson preaching...Seriously? That is softer then a pack of Charmin. I hate the slogan and I hate it makes our team the nicest franchise in the NFL. It needs to go. When another team enters the dome they need to feel fear, anxiety, respect, etc. Rise up makes another team feel like they are playing a bunch of choir boys.

100% agree with you but not only is it soft its STUPID and forced. The OP wants to talk about not comparing ourselves with the Saints well "rise up" was an answer to WHODAT!!! after the 2009 season. The difference is that WHODAT wasn't something the marketing department made up, it was something the fans came up with which makes it different. Rise Up is like "have a coke and a smile" just stupid. So please don't tell me anything about trying to be New Orleans because the front office wants to be like the Saints. If any fan on here can't handle admitting to themselves that the Sean Payton and Drew Brees are better than whats here I don't know what to tell you. You have to fist admit there is a problem before you can fix it and you look at people who are doing the things you want to do and copy what they are doing. I have heard Sean Payton say that he is trying to mimic the New England Patriots. Sorry if me giving props to great organizations and players makes you feel uncomfortable with the problems this team now. It doesn't make you a better fan it just makes you foolish. I'm sure the people in Tampa thought Tony Dungy was their greatest coach and didn't want to see him fired but luckily the owner made the change before all talent was wasted. If it was done sooner maybe they would have more Super Bowl trophies but their one is a lot more than what we have. Good luck with those PSL I hope they don't cost you your two extra tickets.

This thread showed a lot of people's true colors. Every single time I have spoken the negative truth about this team I was bashed and called a troll or fake fan. But now that a mod said it, you guys are actually showing your true emotions towards the team because you were to afraid to say the same.