I Have To Say This...

BankerBird™

I've been a Mod on these boards for a few years now, and I have to say that nothing pisses me off more than to see a bunch of fans complaining about the Falcons by comparing them to a rival team - like the Saints - as if "wishing we (the Falcons) had an offense, QB, head coach or defense like them" is actually going to change things. I mean, think about that for moment. You're wishing for something that you KNOW isn't going to happen, and you use these message boards to praise and prop up other teams as if doing that is going to result in some magical metamorphosis of the Falcons 53-man roster.

Face it, we have a team that's soft. Even players on the New England Patriots pointed this out in their post-game comments Sunday night. We have O-linemen who are out of shape and penalty-prone. We have a secondary that won't tackle. We have LBs who seem to spend more time making film (D-Block) than studying it. Our fans refuse to be in their seats sooner than five minutes before kick-off for a nationally-televised game. These problems are all internal to the Falcons and need to be addressed as such. Clicking your heels together three times and wishing the Falcons were some other team isn't going to change any of that.

You want to talk about another team? There are forums for that. As for me, my focus is on the Falcons. I chose to not renew my Georgia Tech season tickets just so I could add two additional Falcons season tickets to the two I already had. I don't say that to boast. I'm just saying that the Falcons - and only the Falcons - is where my professional sports allegiance lies, and I don't really give a rat's ass about any other team - regardless how well they're playing. We need to get OUR house in order and you don't do that by comparing it to someone else's house and wishing and hoping the Falcons' house was like theirs. If that's how you feel, then, perhaps your loyalties should lie elsewhere.

What's going on with this team right now lies at the feet of the Falcons braintrust, beginning with Mike Smith. I'm not calling for him to be fired, so don't get it twisted. Smitty is the best head coach in the history of this franchise, but to have players who themselves admit they're out of shape (Holmes), and players who are undisciplined on the field with penalties are all the responsibility of the head coach. That's where it starts as far as I'm concerned. If you ask me, the Falcons are lazy. That's the bottom line. They've gone into this season resting on the laurels of last year's success of a 13-3 record and they've gotten fat.

Yeah, I'm a Mod, but I'm not a homer. This team is in trouble, but I'm not gonna sit here saying I wish they were the Saints or the Patriots or the Niners or whoever. We need to handle our own business and clean up our own house. You can flame away if you want, but it's the truth!

See you Monday night.

BB-

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this and Emmitt's post have made the most sense of anything that I have seen this week. I am 53 and have watched this team since June Jones was a quarterback here, not a coach. I've seen Swamp Fox, twice, Jerry Glanville, Leeman Bennett, and numerous others that I would rather forget. You wanna "Trust" somebody. Well trust me, you don't wanna go back to them days. EVER

I'm gonna go on record in saying that the one that p!sses me off more than anything is when people give props to that cheating a-hole in the cesspool and wish a guy like that would be our coach. I would rather go 0-16 than win a superbowl with a coach that has the moral constitution of a pile of dog sh!t... just saying :)

Well if we are talking about penalties meaning lack of discipline and how that starts with Mike Smith then it should be noted that Mike Smith has kept the Falcons at the very top among the league leaders with the least amount of penalties. Last year we had the least amount of penalty and penalty yards than any other team in the entire league and i imagine this year we are ranked near the top again. Not sure why we would complain about penalties

I find it to be comical how everybody scurrying around like rats jumping off a sinking ship.

Can any of you idiots tell me specifically what is different about the Falcons staff this year?

When you can do so then you will know what the problem with the team is.

I will give you all a hint Holmes.

Agree 100%

We have brought our own hype, I remember when our goal was to physically dominate teams, SJax was a bad buy IMO because we are not a power run team anymore our guys are too soft up front, that is why I wanted Bush, if we are going to be a finesse team we might as well go full.

D is build for us to have a lead with our Dbs without it they are terrible, I wish we had a better pass rush but for some reason people thought the young guys (late round draft picks) were going to step up.

maybe we are soft, but what does that make these teams that have to go to the wire to beat an injury riddled team ?? You have to keep it in perspective - we have had bad breaks with the injuries and its forced guys that really shouldnt be starting at this stage into the spotlight - some with success, some with glimmers of potential, some not so good. But to judge this team now like this is the product that had guys giving us a nod to this years Super Bowl - that team is not here at the moment - what we have left is a team thats trying to hold the fort until the cavalry arrive.

Are you gonna support them for trying or are you gonna point fingers and wish we were the Saints ?? The thought makes me sick -

The truth is the truth. I for one am fairly new, but there seems to be an air of "Agree with Everything" in here. If I don't like what my team is doing, I shouldn't have to act like I do.

There are lessons to be learned from watching the best play. And if that happens to be called comparing then so be it. I would like to study what the best are doing and adopt some stuff for us. If that is Drew Brees and the Saints, good. If that's Brady and the Pats, good. But to act like we have all the answer internally flies in the face of our record against the better teams.

have watched this team since June Jones was a quarterback here, not a coach.

1978, the first year I started going to Falcons' games. If people do not know the history, Bartkowski signed the largest rookie contract at the time, got hit alot, had knee problems, struggled the first few seasons, and the fans were not very patient early on. During the 1978 preseason Bart was slow to get going, the fans booed and jeered him off the field, and Jones got the starting job.

At the time I was ten years old, and had no favorite QB, I just wanted the Falcons to win. I was at Jones first start against the Oilers. The Falcons lost. The next week the Falcons lost again to the Rams on the road, and then came the Browns at home. I was there when Jones started the game, but the Falcons were playing poorly, and the chants from the crowd began, BART, BART, BART... It was quite an experience, and I chanted along even though I was not sure why. Bartkowski came in, played well in a loss, and was the starter thereafter. Obviously Bartkowski was the better of the two, but I think in the end, Bennett handled it just right. Knowing the pressure from the fans was too much at the time, he waited for the oppurtune time to put Bart in. It worked better than one could plan, and Bartkowski entered to cheers instead of leaving to boos.

Sorry to go off topic, but the mention of Jones reminded me of a story.

"Soft" is my way of translating what the Patriots themselves said about knowing in advance of Sunday night's game that they knew going in that they were more physical than the Falcons: http://boards.atlant...ical-coming-in/

And the answer to my question is ??? wink.png

I gave all of you a hint and now the OP just dropped another.

It is right there at the tips of everybody's fingers but y'all just cant seem to

bang it out on the keyboard.