Lamar Holmes Out Of Shape

apl2g

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Atlanta Falcons second-year offensive tackle Lamar Holmes has come to grips with one of his shortcomings -- his conditioning.

The 6-foot-6, 333-pound Holmes admitted he is not in the best shape to play a full game.

"I need to get in a little bit better shape," Holmes told ESPN.com on Tuesday. "Day after day, I'm progressively getting better."

Holmes maintained his conditioning issues have nothing to do with being overweight. He believes they are more of a product of getting used to playing significant snaps after seeing action in just one game as a rookie last season.

In the first three games this season, Holmes played all 191 snaps.

"Sometimes, I just get a little winded," Holmes said. "I use so much energy at times, I just need the wind. ... I have never played like this before. This is really my first action. You're really seeing how much energy you're actually using out there on the field. I know I need to pick it up and get in better shape so I can play hard all four quarters."

Holmes said he has taken a proactive approach by getting on the treadmill daily, when not in meetings or at practice.

"I just have to do different things to help build up my endurance," he said. "Any free time I get, I might even just go for a little jog to build up endurance. The first game (New Orleans), I realized I wasn't in the best of shape that I needed to be in."

Holmes, a former third-round draft pick from Southern Mississippi, began the season as the starting right tackle after Mike Johnson suffered a season-ending broken leg/dislocated ankle. Holmes switched to left tackle for Week 3, with starter Sam Baker sidelined by knee and foot injuries. Jeremy Trueblood filled Holmes' spot at right tackle.

When Baker returned to the starting lineup against the New England Patriots on Sunday, Holmes was on the bench as the coaches opted to stick with Trueblood at right tackle.

But Holmes found himself back at left tackle after Baker suffered a knee injury in the second quarter. Holmes ended up playing 54 of 76 snaps and performed admirably, outside of a fourth-quarter sack allowed in the red zone.

Baker's status remains in limbo, meaning Holmes will have to be prepared to start against the New York Jets on Monday night.

Plz copy paste articles for everyone to read thnx

Atlanta Falcons second-year offensive tackle Lamar Holmes has come to grips with one of his shortcomings -- his conditioning.

The 6-foot-6, 333-pound Holmes admitted he is not in the best shape to play a full game.

"I need to get in a little bit better shape," Holmes told ESPN.com on Tuesday. "Day after day, I'm progressively getting better."

Holmes maintained his conditioning issues have nothing to do with being overweight. He believes they are more of a product of getting used to playing significant snaps after seeing action in just one game as a rookie last season.

In the first three games this season, Holmes played all 191 snaps.

"Sometimes, I just get a little winded," Holmes said. "I use so much energy at times, I just need the wind. ... I have never played like this before. This is really my first action. You're really seeing how much energy you're actually using out there on the field. I know I need to pick it up and get in better shape so I can play hard all four quarters."

Holmes said he has taken a proactive approach by getting on the treadmill daily, when not in meetings or at practice.

"I just have to do different things to help build up my endurance," he said. "Any free time I get, I might even just go for a little jog to build up endurance. The first game (New Orleans), I realized I wasn't in the best of shape that I needed to be in."

Holmes, a former third-round draft pick from Southern Mississippi, began the season as the starting right tackle after Mike Johnson suffered a season-ending broken leg/dislocated ankle. Holmes switched to left tackle for Week 3, with starter Sam Baker sidelined by knee and foot injuries. Jeremy Trueblood filled Holmes' spot at right tackle.

When Baker returned to the starting lineup against the New England Patriots on Sunday, Holmes was on the bench as the coaches opted to stick with Trueblood at right tackle.

But Holmes found himself back at left tackle after Baker suffered a knee injury in the second quarter. Holmes ended up playing 54 of 76 snaps and performed admirably, outside of a fourth-quarter sack allowed in the red zone.

Baker's status remains in limbo, meaning Holmes will have to be prepared to start against the New York Jets on Monday night.

As soon as he saw Clabo get cut, he should have known he was going to have a chance to start, and this is what he does???

And he thinks running on a treadmill is going to get him in football game shape , what a joke of a lineman

Even the announcers in the first game noticed it

Fire the condintioning coach, how a player can enter the season in such poor shape has to get him fired.

blame the NFL PA. These guys are on their own for what 4-5 months in the offseason? It seems Holmes and Manley conditioned themselves at the BBQ pit.

Really no suprise. Every colour commentator said Holmes degressed in every game at the end of the game.

He plays okay at the beginning, but in the third and fourth quarter he fells apart.

Unbelievable that the falcons are going in a season with a tackle not in shape. Unbelievable bad decision!

blame the NFL PA. These guys are on their own for what 4-5 months in the offseason? It seems Holmes and Manley conditioned themselves at the BBQ pit.

Nope every other player is in the same situation, it isn't like Holmes is the only one not allowed to go to practices...

It is on Holmes and the condintioning coach.

It is either Holmes not putting in enough work, which if that is the case I don't want him back next year.

Or the conditioning coach has not given him enough to do or understood what his job is and he should be gone.

I guarantee you... I used to be a strength and conditioning coach..... It's not because of the coach not giving him enough,or hard enough workouts...... This is all on Lamar Holmes, even with the 6 combined weeks of training camp and preseason, and now 4 games, he's had almost 3 months to get in shape. It's all on him

He needs to work on learning schemes and blocking assignments before he even thinks about getting in shape. Don't matter if you got endurance when you don't know where the rush coming from they still gonna run by his azz

If he doesn't know where the rush is coming from that's first on Matt Ryan then it's on his line brethren for not communicating with each other. Matt gets the line in protections and the lineman communicate beyond that. If they're not communicating amongst each other they all need to be fired.

If he doesn't know where the rush is coming from that's first on Matt Ryan then it's on his line brethren for not communicating with each other. Matt gets the line in protections and the lineman communicate beyond that. If they're not communicating amongst each other they all need to be fired.

The blocking is being called out he is just getting beat. People can dance around the real root of the problem and say its conditioning ,coaching, experience, etc etc. He just doesn't get it, football isn't just speed and strength. The best players in the league are the smartest players in the league. It's chess not checkers

I was gonna PM those pics but someone posted an article from ESPN talking about the exact same thing I was.

The blocking is being called out he is just getting beat. People can dance around the real root of the problem and say its conditioning ,coaching, experience, etc etc. He just doesn't get it, football isn't just speed and strength. The best players in the league are the smartest players in the league. It's chess not checkers

I was gonna PM those pics but someone posted an article from ESPN talking about the exact same thing I was.

It is a conditioning issue because he plays better in his natural position and you can tell when he gets tired. Nobody is running right around him until he gets tired. Either way that's on him for not taking care of his body. I was there Sunday night and he probably played his best game thus far. He's just not in shape. He knows how to play and he gets it. All the smarts in the world don't matter when you're tired. Tired you make mental and physical mistakes. I don't think anybody is playing chess with a lineman lol. You gotta play chess with the qb. You don't beat Brees by tricking his lineman. You gotta out smart HIM. Same with Brady, Ryan and any other cerebral qb in the league. Up front it is about strength and speed. Show me where they've chessed him vs him just being out of shape? You blamed a sack on him last week that was on Snelling. If the communication is there like you said then it's a conditioning issue. Especially when it occurs later in the game when you expect guys to be winded. Him a little more tho cause he's out of shape.

Fire the condintioning coach, how a player can enter the season in such poor shape has to get him fired.

Agreed 100%. That's the conditioning coach's job. Even if Holmes turned up well out of shape, they've had 4 months to address this issue.

It also makes me wonder why the FO didn't look for someone else. Surely they must have known that Holmes simply wasn't ready. Smdh.