The Flaw In Matty's Game

Miller2Rison

in 2008 when ryan was roy, we had a nice offensive line to keep him protected and he exceled with the help of michael turner to help set up the passing game. when we got tony we regressed in 2009. idk why we want to be a pass first team when our defense has never been good. now teams we go up against play bbd defenses against us andit works bc once we get in the red zone bc our field is shortened. we should have payed dahl, we should have payed clabo, at this point im going to say we

should have even payed lofton. we should have stayed away from jax and got fresh legs in the draft.

im on my phone so its hard to type the subject is the title is we should have invested more into protecting ryan instead of adding skill players like a madden franchice, dude played great with scrubs (other than roddy in 2008) i think the flaw is we want to be too explosive and hes not getting the protectiion he needs.

I think the problem is literally the red zone. Play calling gets cute and running game disappears. Matt gets nervous because the plays take too long to develop. That's the one thing he needs to worry about. Those fadeaways/floaters he throws up. If we had converted on just half of our red zone opportunities, we are 4-0.

I think the problem is literally the red zone. Play calling gets cute and running game disappears. Matt gets nervous because the plays take too long to develop. That's the one thing he needs to worry about. Those fadeaways/floaters he throws up. If we had converted on just half of our red zone opportunities, we are 4-0.

bc we didnt pay our linemen, i have seen matt miss some open receivers and the 4th and 2 call was all on matt

And the winner is!!!!

Bingo!!!

Right on the money!!!

2010 vs Green Bay proved a run-first, protect the defense style of play was still vulnerable to a big passing game.

That is more so the case in 2013.

Dimitroff's tenure is full of "should haves"

I think even more so 2010 proved that if teams stopped Roddy, they stopped our offense. Thus Julio. Made sense to me.

2011 proved that we were uptight and had to play grind it out down the field mistake free football to win and you can't do that in the playoffs. Thus bye Mularkey hello Koetter. Also made sense.

2012 proved that even WITH a wide open passing game and a big lead, we could still be defeated by a patient team with a solid running game, especially if we couldn't run it to slam the door ourselves. Thus Jackson.

The problem is three fold imo....

1) we're neglecting the trenches for high profile "splash" acquisitions. Similar to the Braves in the latter years of their run

2) the gradual accumulation of lost picks from MULTIPLE trade-ups on draft day is starting to have a cumulative effect on our depth. Not just Julio...Julio, Trufant...ALL of them

3) The current management and scout team wouldn't know an NFL lineman from a blender, on either side of the ball. So maybe it's actually a blessing they've been ignoring the trenches, cause we'd probably have a LOT more bigger busts.

bc we didnt pay our linemen, i have seen matt miss some open receivers and the 4th and 2 call was all on matt

I agree. Like I said, he rushes his throws, he gets flat out nervous down there. That's only a this year problem and it is because he doesn't trust the line, even though the O line played MUCH better Sunday than they have all year. A lot have to do with play calls to put him in a 4th and 2. Question is why are we needing 4 downs to punch it in? It honestly shouldn't get to that situation. It happens way too much, because we get cute 3 downs previous.

also look how bad our running game has been since the loss of dahl, blame turner all u want but i havnt seen much out of jackson

Steven Jackson has had a total of what? 15 carries this year? Are you serious? Running game hasn't been bad, we just don't run it.

thats really going bak to 11 and 12 as to how much turner regressed after we lost dahl, dahl is missed here bad

I hear ya, but it's '13. Dahl hasn't been here for 3 years and the Rams RB ain't exactly tearing it up. Turner led the league in rushing in '11 and '12 he came in out of shape. Jackson hasn't had a real opportunity to showcase his abilities due to injuries. We saw a glimpse of what the running game could be in the Dolphin game. But at the end of the day, to me, the red zone play calling has been the weak link to this team. Cash in on some of those and the team can have a nice little run here to make the playoffs.

also look how bad our running game has been since the loss of dahl, blame turner all u want but i havnt seen much out of jackson

How can you say that? He's barely friggin' played for us yet! For some weird reason he wasn't a part of our gameplan in week 1. Then he got injured in the first drive of week 2... AFTER getting a touchdown. He suffered an unfortunate injury. It's way too early to say he won't help our running game yet when we've barely seen him out there. Let him get healthy and actually play before making that call.

People who still want Clabo have not watched him much this year and clearly don't remember him struggling last year.

I think it is more desperation that people still want Clabo. After watching our line in action, I can understand. The grass is brown as he*ll on Clabo's side but people are seeing green.

in 2008 when ryan was roy, we had a nice offensive line to keep him protected and he exceled with the help of michael turner to help set up the passing game. when we got tony we regressed in 2009. idk why we want to be a pass first team when our defense has never been good. now teams we go up against play bbd defenses against us andit works bc once we get in the red zone bc our field is shortened. we should have payed dahl, we should have payed clabo, at this point im going to say we

should have even payed lofton. we should have stayed away from jax and got fresh legs in the draft.

The flaw is the OL that can't block anyone

Coaching staff needs to recognize they suck and give Ryan Rodgers and Douglas as hot reads and option routes to get postive yards every play when the pocket collapses

im on my phone so its hard to type the subject is the title is we should have invested more into protecting ryan instead of adding skill players like a madden franchice, dude played great with scrubs (other than roddy in 2008) i think the flaw is we want to be too explosive and hes not getting the protectiion he needs.

The difference in Matt's performance from 2008 to 2012-13 is absurd. He's a significantly better QB.

We need to protect him better, true. But as I detailed yesterday, pretty much every team in the league needs to protect their QB better, and doing so is incredibly difficult. The number of disappointing highly drafted OL players is much higher than the guys that serve as cornerstones for a given franchise.

I would gladly give up one or two of our skill players on offense so Matt can have an o-line like Tom Brady used to have when he was winning superbowls...I feel like Matt needs that extra time even more so than Brady. He just doesn't seem to have that same feel of where everyone is on the field at any given time, so his progressions are slow and his less that average line is compounding that problem.

I would gladly give up one or two of our skill players on offense so Matt can have an o-line like Tom Brady used to have when he was winning superbowls...I feel like Matt needs that extra time even more so than Brady. He just doesn't seem to have that same feel of where everyone is on the field at any given time, so his progressions are slow and his less that average line is compounding that problem.

I think if you think Matt's progression reading is slow, you arent watching the game. If anything it's too fast.