Some Folks Around Here Could Take Lessons From An 8 Year Old

wleggett

I was walking through the store today with my two daughters and since they were in bed before the end of the game my eight year old looked up at me and asked "Did our Falcons win last night?". I suppose the sad look on my face said it all when she asked but I half mumbled no. I thought the conversation was over but as we walk further up the aisle she said "Well, that's ok because we'll get them next time."

Losing sucks, there's no two ways about it but if an eight year old GIRL can figure it out why can't grown men? The last time I checked and please correct me if I'm wrong but the other team gets paid to win as well. Yes, there are areas of concern all over the field but if you thought there wouldn't be bumps in the road you were only fooling yourself. After not having back to back winning seasons to what we've had since TD, Smitty, and Ryan have given us I'd say as fans we've been rather lucky. We may not have the best record in the playoffs and no ring to show for it. How many other teams have a ring during that time? At the end of a season there will only be one happy team but if I had to choose between being in the mix come playoff time versus some of these teams that are at the bottom year in and year out... well it's not much of a decision for me.

I'll use a child for my example. I love my son to death, he means every thing to me in the entire world. There isn't anything he could ever do to make me stop loving him. I will also get on to him when he does not perform the way he should. It's not acceptable to me for him to get bad grades in school. It is unnaceptable to me for him to be disrespectful or misbehaving. Whenever there are "problems" we work to fix them. If he got C's in school and was being sent home because of his attitude, I wouldn't just sit around and think "Everything will be ok, he's been good for the last 6 years, we'll just see what happens".

I feel the exact same way about the Falcons. I will never ever quit this team, but I'm not happy about the way this team is performing now and although I can not personally do anything to fix it myself, I'm doing the one thing I can and voice my displeasures here.

I'll use a child for my example. I love my son to death, he means every thing to me in the entire world. There isn't anything he could ever do to make me stop loving him. I will also get on to him when he does not perform the way he should. It's not acceptable to me for him to get bad grades in school. It is unnaceptable to me for him to be disrespectful or misbehaving. Whenever there are "problems" we work to fix them. If he got C's in school and was being sent home because of his attitude, I wouldn't just sit around and think "Everything will be ok, he's been good for the last 6 years, we'll just see what happens".

I feel the exact same way about the Falcons. I will never ever quit this team, but I'm not happy about the way this team is performing now and although I can not personally do anything to fix it myself, I'm doing the one thing I can and voice my displeasures here.

Good analogy, but the application may not fit our role in this case. It may apply more to Blank and company than the fans. With your son, you have direct influence in his behaviour and the consequences. You can work with him directly to improve his grades or get him the help he needs. You can immediately correct him if he is disobedient or disrespectful. You can work with him directly to correct those problems. Those are the things that Blank, TD and Smith are responsible for.

We, as fans are more like the neighbors to a child than the parents of a child. You can watch them grow and celebrate their victories and even admire them for their accomplishments and growth. The only influence you have over bad behaviour is reporting the behaviour to their parents or other authorities, ignoring the behaviour or moving away from the neighbor if it has become too much.

As a fan, the only influence we have is voicing our displeasure at the performance amongst ourselves, to the media or through correspondence to the team. We can remove our finances from the picture and discontinue supporting them through purchases. We can move on to another team if we so desire. But unless we are a direct member of the coaching or supporting staff or have an executive role with the Falcons, we are really doing nothing more than voicing our displeasure, we are doing little or nothing to correct it.

So, for us - it's more like the neighbors kids than our own. The only difference is we may invest more in terms of time, loyalty and finances in the team than we do our neighbors children. So the frustration level is generally higher when we lack the capacity to make real changes, especially in the short-term.

Because, if I'd have had more say so - the Falcons would have been building from the trenches out instead of the other way around. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with many of the players we have - and I believe in their ability - I just think they are crippled by the battle in the trenches and our failure to dominate there.

it's exactly the same,do not fool yourself,Smitty is under ,more pressure than you can imagine,yes he has a ring with the Ravens,but not as the head coach.Not as the guy ultimately responsible for moving forward.He knows what the door looks like and doesn't know if he comes back through it after every season.Just imagine sitting in the black hole every Sunday,cheering on a team that can only look to the distant past glory.Now those are fans.We got past the dogs,the quitter and even the Eugene debacle in our only super bowl appearance.Is it disappointing?Yes.but I still have reasonable expectations that this could be the year.

Good analogy, but the application may not fit our role in this case. It may apply more to Blank and company than the fans. With your son, you have direct influence in his behaviour and the consequences. You can work with him directly to improve his grades or get him the help he needs. You can immediately correct him if he is disobedient or disrespectful. You can work with him directly to correct those problems. Those are the things that Blank, TD and Smith are responsible for.

We, as fans are more like the neighbors to a child than the parents of a child. You can watch them grow and celebrate their victories and even admire them for their accomplishments and growth. The only influence you have over bad behaviour is reporting the behaviour to their parents or other authorities, ignoring the behaviour or moving away from the neighbor if it has become too much.

As a fan, the only influence we have is voicing our displeasure at the performance amongst ourselves, to the media or through correspondence to the team. We can remove our finances from the picture and discontinue supporting them through purchases. We can move on to another team if we so desire. But unless we are a direct member of the coaching or supporting staff or have an executive role with the Falcons, we are really doing nothing more than voicing our displeasure, we are doing little or nothing to correct it.

So, for us - it's more like the neighbors kids than our own. The only difference is we may invest more in terms of time, loyalty and finances in the team than we do our neighbors children. So the frustration level is generally higher when we lack the capacity to make real changes, especially in the short-term.

Because, if I'd have had more say so - the Falcons would have been building from the trenches out instead of the other way around. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with many of the players we have - and I believe in their ability - I just think they are crippled by the battle in the trenches and our failure to dominate there.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

I was walking through the store today with my two daughters and since they were in bed before the end of the game my eight year old looked up at me and asked "Did our Falcons win last night?". I suppose the sad look on my face said it all when she asked but I half mumbled no. I thought the conversation was over but as we walk further up the aisle she said "Well, that's ok because we'll get them next time."

Losing sucks, there's no two ways about it but if an eight year old GIRL can figure it out why can't grown men? The last time I checked and please correct me if I'm wrong but the other team gets paid to win as well. Yes, there are areas of concern all over the field but if you thought there wouldn't be bumps in the road you were only fooling yourself. After not having back to back winning seasons to what we've had since TD, Smitty, and Ryan have given us I'd say as fans we've been rather lucky. We may not have the best record in the playoffs and no ring to show for it. How many other teams have a ring during that time? At the end of a season there will only be one happy team but if I had to choose between being in the mix come playoff time versus some of these teams that are at the bottom year in and year out... well it's not much of a decision for me.

as a soon to be parent for the first time, i respect both of you more than you can imagine.

especially you itstorm2, i also hope to have that impression on my son to where he will do good things and not be misbehaving(though i'm sure it will happen a few times)

kids can teach us a lot and that is why they are always perfect. They always look on the brightside of things and that is a great feature to have.

IMO the attitude of “We will get them next time” can’t be used in the short NFL season. Each game, each quarter and each play needs to be played like there won’t be a next time because in all essence, there won’t be, the opportunity is gone. I realize sometimes they can’t make the plays and you have to do what you have to do but everyone needs play with urgency and fire each and every down and that seems to be lacking in this team. Great leaders, parents, and coaches know the strength and weaknesses of their “charges” and know how to teach and inspire them to elevate their strength as well as weaknesses on an ongoing basis. I have three daughters, one a nurse who has the highest IQ, the middle daughter with the second highest IQ has a business degree and chooses to manage a sports bar, and the youngest with average intelligence and was never that great in school but focused on athletics. When she graduated high school and started college she said she really wanted to be a vet but she wasn’t sure she could do it. I told her among other things if she put as much focus on studying as you have running, you can. She understood this and went for it. She graduated Vet school in May is licensed in two states and is doing her equine surgical residency in Texas now.

I think the point of it was missed by some. If someone has the ability to change the past please share that info with the rest of us but until then there's no reason to throw in the towel on the season. As far as some of these folks claiming to be long time fans and suffered through years of under performing, you of all people should be even more even keel instead of going full on chicken little when things get bumpy. It seems to me more like the response from bandwagon fans. For better or worse this is our team for the season. There won't be a head coach change and the oc/dc will be here at least until the end of the season. There most likely won't be any blockbuster trades so there's 3 options.

#1 Keep crying and yelling that the sky is falling

#2 jump on the new flavor of the week

#3 realize it's going to be a tough row to hoe, put on your big boy pants, and get em next time.

I think the point of it was missed by some. If someone has the ability to change the past please share that info with the rest of us but until then there's no reason to throw in the towel on the season. As far as some of these folks claiming to be long time fans and suffered through years of under performing, you of all people should be even more even keel instead of going full on chicken little when things get bumpy. It seems to me more like the response from bandwagon fans. For better or worse this is our team for the season. There won't be a head coach change and the oc/dc will be here at least until the end of the season. There most likely won't be any blockbuster trades so there's 3 options.

#1 Keep crying and yelling that the sky is falling

#2 jump on the new flavor of the week

#3 realize it's going to be a tough row to hoe, put on your big boy pants, and get em next time.

The problem is you aren't understanding my friend. WE DON'T GET THEM NEXT TIME!!!

We lose the next time. And the time after that. It's the same mistakes, over and over again. Fans are tired of it. Our team gets clowned on national TV weekly and we are supposed to say "We'll get them next time"??? I know I lobby hard for respect. When we finally get a little, we revert back to the spineless, no fire having bunch that talking heads love to paint us as. We are better than that. So no, I can't get with that logic. The I agree with ItsStorm2!

And as another poster said, we don't influence our teams behavior. But I won't condone it either, unless I believe that it is as it should be. A sit back and hope things change mentality doesn't bring change. Action does.

The problem is you aren't understanding my friend. WE DON'T GET THEM NEXT TIME!!!

We lose the next time. And the time after that. It's the same mistakes, over and over again. Fans are tired of it. Our team gets clowned on national TV weekly and we are supposed to say "We'll get them next time"??? I know I lobby hard for respect. When we finally get a little, we revert back to the spineless, no fire having bunch that talking heads love to paint us as. We are better than that. So no, I can't get with that logic. The I agree with ItsStorm2!

And as another poster said, we don't influence our teams behavior. But I won't condone it either, unless I believe that it is as it should be. A sit back and hope things change mentality doesn't bring change. Action does.

Do me a favor and tell me since 2008 how many times we've lost back to back games. Then what was our home record? How many times below .500? How many playoffs were missed? Now tell me the same info for the six years before that. Nobody will argue with the fact we have huge issues at the moment but I'm sure there are more than a few franchises that would trade for what we've had and can still have once things get turned around in a heartbeat. Totally understandable to be upset, disappointed, and frustrated but to go off the deep end like some is a bit extreme. I'll even go out on a limb and say they've been waiting for this just to throw little tantrums because it's in their nature.

Do me a favor and tell me since 2008 how many times we've lost back to back games. Then what was our home record? How many times below .500? How many playoffs were missed? Now tell me the same info for the six years before that. Nobody will argue with the fact we have huge issues at the moment but I'm sure there are more than a few franchises that would trade for what we've had and can still have once things get turned around in a heartbeat. Totally understandable to be upset, disappointed, and frustrated but to go off the deep end like some is a bit extreme. I'll even go out on a limb and say they've been waiting for this just to throw little tantrums because it's in their nature.

Having been succesful for the last 6 years has been a gift and a curse. I absolutely love that we have come from a team that might make the playoff's every decade, to making the playoff's every year. I love that. This also frustrates me. Like Samuel L Jackson says in the "rise up" commercial " We've been knocking on the door and now its time to blow it up". We have been knocking on the door but we havn't been able to blow it up. Its very frustrating. I always represent my Falcons, I just want to be able to represent my Falcons like a peacock after we finally win the big game and as of now this team doesn't look like they want to go to New York.

I love your post and I agree 100% with what you are saying but you make one miscalculation when it comes to posting on this board. You can't use reason and logic with most of the "fire Smitty" or "chicken little" crowds because it just doesn't register with them. You might as well write your post in Greek. They ought to rename this board the "knee jerk" because 90% of the posters on here immediately want to have a knee jerk reaction when something happens. If any team has the emotional make up and maturity to overcome a 1-3 start , it's the Falcons. They are just built and coached in such a way that there is no panic and no knee jerk reactions. AB is a smart man too and he won't go for quick fixes either. I only wish the majority of our fan base had the same type of maturity that I think our team does.

Having been succesful for the last 6 years has been a gift and a curse. I absolutely love that we have come from a team that might make the playoff's every decade, to making the playoff's every year. I love that. This also frustrates me. Like Samuel L Jackson says in the "rise up" commercial " We've been knocking on the door and now its time to blow it up". We have been knocking on the door but we havn't been able to blow it up. Its very frustrating. I always represent my Falcons, I just want to be able to represent my Falcons like a peacock after we finally win the big game and as of now this team doesn't look like they want to go to New York.

Every time I hear Samuel Jackson say - we've been knocking on the door - I get a knot in my throat and fight back tears. Last year - I would just get fired up. That's how this year has affected me.

I love your post and I agree 100% with what you are saying but you make one miscalculation when it comes to posting on this board. You can't use reason and logic with most of the "fire Smitty" or "chicken little" crowds because it just doesn't register with them. You might as well write your post in Greek. They ought to rename this board the "knee jerk" because 90% of the posters on here immediately want to have a knee jerk reaction when something happens. If any team has the emotional make up and maturity to overcome a 1-3 start , it's the Falcons. They are just built and coached in such a way that there is no panic and no knee jerk reactions. AB is a smart man too and he won't go for quick fixes either. I only wish the majority of our fan base had the same type of maturity that I think our team does.

Yea, I get it for sure. I can respect anyone's opinion if given in a rational, mature manner even if I don't agree with it. It's really a shame because it's times like these people seem to come out of the woodwork. Honestly I think this may be the best thing for the team in the long run. If you ask me we've won so many close games that the team assumed we'd keep winning them but now the scale is tipping in the other direction. I believe they thought the first was just a fluke, then the second was maybe unlucky, now the third... I hope this is the wakeup call/face meets reality type of thing. We'll see this second quarter of the season because the end of the schedule will be brutal. Maybe... just maybe having to fight, scratch, and claw for a shot at the playoffs will make for a battle hardened team.