The Counselor

Mr. Hoopah!

• 8 months later...

Watched this on HBO last night. Apparently it got mixed, mostly negative reviews. I imagine those folks have never read never read McCarthy. I've only read Blood Meridian (though I've seen No Country for Old Men and The Sunset Limited) so I'm not a McCarthy scholar like shot, but the dialogue had McCarty's signature all over it. Lots of discussion about horrendous acts of violence. My wife didn't care for it, but I really enjoyed it. Cameron Diaz is terrifying in it. Most imposing female performance I think I've ever seen in a film.

Shot, if you haven't yet, check this out.

Just finished the movie, and I don't know why this has such negative reviews, it was so ******* good. I'm gonna have to give it another watch when the whiskey isn't flowing so liberally before I make a definitive judgement on it, but Cameron Diaz was ******* awesome in this. That might be the first time anyone has ever said that about Cameron Diaz.

The scene between Dormer and Diaz that I thought was in the middle of the movie was definitely towards the end.

Also, I knew that Checkov's mechanical decapitator had to make an appearance. You don't bring up an insane device like that and then not have it show up at some point. That scene was cool as ****.

I'm confused about how some of these people were connected, and particularly confused about why Hank and Margaery showed up at the end but again, I'm drunk and gonna have to give this another watch.

Just finished the movie, and I don't know why this has such negative reviews, it was so ******* good. I'm gonna have to give it another watch when the whiskey isn't flowing so liberally before I make a definitive judgement on it, but Cameron Diaz was ******* awesome in this. That might be the first time anyone has ever said that about Cameron Diaz.

The scene between Dormer and Diaz that I thought was in the middle of the movie was definitely towards the end.

Also, I knew that Checkov's mechanical decapitator had to make an appearance. You don't bring up an insane device like that and then not have it show up at some point. That scene was cool as ****.

I'm confused about how some of these people were connected, and particularly confused about why Hank and Margaery showed up at the end but again, I'm drunk and gonna have to give this another watch.

I was confused by a few parts too, I had to look at the wikipedia summary.

Hank is the Chicago buyer for the coke.

Marg was hired by Cameron to seduce Pitt and steal his bank account codes because she lost the drugs when the Cartel killed The Wireman and stole the truck from him. Brad told the counselor he had some type of relationship with Cameron in the past, so I'm assuming she knew how much money he had and that he would run when things went south.

The mexican guy the counselor goes to see for help was actually a high ranking cartel guy. I didn't pick up on that while watching the movie.

Also, this was my suspicion, but it looks like the "Hola!" dvd was a snuff film of Penelope Cruz's death as Brad alluded to it earlier in the film.

I think a lot of criticism of the film is in the dialogue. I think a lot of the dialogue would have worked better as written word, not spoken dialogue. But I still really enjoyed the dialogue.

Marg was hired by Cameron to seduce Pitt and steal his bank account codes because she lost the drugs when the Cartel killed The Wireman and stole the truck from him. Brad told the counselor he had some type of relationship with Cameron in the past, so I'm assuming she knew how much money he had and that he would run when things went south.

The mexican guy the counselor goes to see for help was actually a high ranking cartel guy. I didn't pick up on that while watching the movie.

Also, this was my suspicion, but it looks like the "Hola!" dvd was a snuff film of Penelope Cruz's death as Brad alluded to it earlier in the film.

I think a lot of criticism of the film is in the dialogue. I think a lot of the dialogue would have worked better as written word, not spoken dialogue. But I still really enjoyed the dialogue.

I enjoyed it to but the long-winded speeches were a little overdone.Cormac McCarthy has a gift for depicting the dark side of human nature.

Yeah there was definitely a couple times throughout the movie where I was just like, "People don't talk like this."

Long monologues definitely come off better on paper than they do on screen.

I have seen this movie a couple of times and still not sure what's happening

Isn't the end scene the councelor ? With Diaz. He had some plastic surgery

And him and Diaz set this whole thing up

I don't think that's him, that's not Carmac McCarthy's style at all. They spent half the movie telling the counselor what a **** idea it was to get in the drug business and he should stop while he still had the chance. And everything they said came true, he got ****** and the person he loved the most paid the price.

I don't think that's him, that's not Carmac McCarthy's style at all. They spent half the movie telling the counselor what a **** idea it was to get in the drug business and he should stop while he still had the chance. And everything they said came true, he got ****** and the person he loved the most paid the price.

Its crazy the difference of opinions we have on this movie. I don't think he ever loved Penople he just used her to set up the plan to steal the drugs. If he loved her he wouldn't have put her in harms way by doing this buis/ drug deal . He used her as scape goat money issues buying her that diamond ring . The emotions when he got her snuff film was basically set up he asked the other cartel guy to look into it and play the emotions of he was wronged but all in all he was setting this up with Diaz at the end to steal the drugs and Pitts money and go into a new profession didn't at end say something about hair and plastic surgery . the councelor was Diaz financial guy as we'll

Its crazy the difference of opinions we have on this movie. I don't think he ever loved Penople he just used her to set up the plan to steal the drugs. If he loved her he wouldn't have put her in harms way by doing this buis/ drug deal . He used her as scape goat money issues buying her that diamond ring . The emotions when he got her snuff film was basically set up he asked the other cartel guy to look into it and play the emotions of he was wronged but all in all he was setting this up with Diaz at the end to steal the drugs and Pitts money and go into a new profession didn't at end say something about hair and plastic surgery . the councelor was Diaz financial guy as we'll

Yeah I don't think we watched the same movie, haha.