I Like Matt Ryan But His Play Was A Problem Last Night.

Yeah, he had this nervous look in his eyes last night. Very rare that he gets like that. He's still bailing out early when he perceives pressure from his blind side or up the middle. He doesn't believe in his o-line and he rushes throws.

When he doesn't rush throws, well, I can't explain those wild ones last night. Just bad execution.

You hold him accountable. I'll say he is one of a handful of players that are the only reason this team has any chance to win right now. No running game. No offensive line. If you have to make ALL of the plays then you are bound to make a few mistakes as well.

Oh, I absolutely agree with this. With our defense riddled by injuries, this team has to win on offense. So we are going to live and die by Matt Ryan. In order for that to happen, Matt is going to have to take more chances. His conservative, controlled style of play has been highly effective to this point but the way 2013 is heading, we are going to need even more from him. He needs to play like an MVP moving forward. Fortunately, the next quarter of the schedule is conducive to that sort of play.

Yeah, he had this nervous look in his eyes last night. Very rare that he gets like that. He's still bailing out early when he perceives pressure from his blind side or up the middle. He doesn't believe in his o-line and he rushes throws.

When he doesn't rush throws, well, I can't explain those wild ones last night. Just bad execution.

I wonder if he is hiding a rib injury from that cheap shot during the first game.

What I noticed (again) last night is how much better the team plays in no-huddle. It seems to be the way we function the best after we get out of our scripted plays.

We always waste one play on Quizz at the goal line.

His job is to net positive yardage in order to get us in a manageable situation on later downs. The problem is that in the end zone area, we don't want that sort of bunching from the defense. So the practicality of the decision making is undone. I think Koetter is brilliant but that part of his strategy is flawed.

I wonder if he is hiding a rib injury from that cheap shot during the first game.

What I noticed (again) last night is how much better the team plays in no-huddle. It seems to be the way we function the best after we get out of our scripted plays.

I agree he seems to playing scared at times and with the oline, I can understand why but it appears in hurry up mode the team looks more comfortable. We move down the field to the redzone and turn stupid so who the blame Ryan or Playcaller

Oh, I absolutely agree with this. With our defense riddled by injuries, this team has to win on offense. So we are going to live and die by Matt Ryan. In order for that to happen, Matt is going to have to take more chances. His conservative, controlled style of play has been highly effective to this point but the way 2013 is heading, we are going to need even more from him. He needs to play like an MVP moving forward. Fortunately, the next quarter of the schedule is conducive to that sort of play.

We need more from him? He threw the ball 54 times. Everyone is complaining about the Oline pass protecting. Maybe we should run the ball more than 15 times.

I ask more from Ryan because of the original post. He still throw a ball away too fast on our first possession then missed an open receiver on 4th and 2 in the red zone later. On the final drive, his accuracy was an issue on two different throws. We need the O-line to play better for certain but Matt Ryan has to get the Falcons more points. After Julio made that otherworldly catch, we had to score. Our QB has to finish that drive. Fair or not, that's why he is the highest paid player on the team and Matt wasn't up to the challenge for the third time this season. We need him to step up.

The problem with the 4 bad throws is when they happen. If they are on potential third down conversions and in the red zone, they become the difference between winning and losing.

Football knowledge is so refreshing. Everyone notices the obvious, but even then, most misinterpret its meaning. The way a player plays cannot be put in perspective through stats, or even good plays when the potential impact is low. It can only be done by observing the whole game and situations where the player made impact, good or bad. Only then can one assess what affect a play or player had on the game. Example, No matter how many catches Toilolo will make or passes Ryan will complete in a game, the two were not able to make a connection at the moment it mattered the most. To me, that is a bad game. The nuiances of the game are what most miss, ignore, or misinterpret.

I agree Matt could have played better, but I think something has happened to our play calling. If one of the targets isn't open, it's like there is no plan b. The team depends on crisp routes, and the D to align properly in order to complete said play. Go and watch the all22 tape, you can see the breakdown once the defense is aligned properly, or the receiver is knocked off the route. Matt has been trained to target the receiver not being doubled, and it takes away potential plays.

This is exactly what happened in the redzone on one trip...Matt Ryan looked for one option that wasn't open then proceeded to throw the ball the way...That may be due to the O-line but we need to stop playing to their weaknesses. Force that O-line to learn how to hold their freakin' blocks if they can't do their job then we know who to cut/replace in free agency or the draft.

The Pats had a simple offensive game plan. Establish the run and then hit a few bombs over the top with play action. That's pretty much all that they did all game. Simple but effective. Mike Mularkey style.

Seeing as that our line cannot pass block very long we could/should use this approach.

Edited by ChessPlayer1

Football knowledge is so refreshing. Everyone notices the obvious, but even then, most misinterpret its meaning. The way a player plays cannot be put in perspective through stats, or even good plays when the potential impact is low. It can only be done by observing the whole game and situations where the player made impact, good or bad. Only then can one assess what affect a play or player had on the game. Example, No matter how many catches Toilolo will make or passes Ryan will complete in a game, the two were not able to make a connection at the moment it mattered the most. To me, that is a bad game. The nuiances of the game are what most miss, ignore, or misinterpret.

Any play that is or isn't made has an equal impact on the game. Every play counts toward the final outcome. It's all about the if game. If one of our D-linemen sacked brady everytime he ended up completing a pass then those would have been impact plays. If we had got the 1st down on third we wouldn't have had to go for it on fourth. that makes third down an impact play. Every play counts and has impact on the next.

Maybe it's just bad luck, but it seems our story in the red zone is that Matt either makes bad passes (which he shouldn't be doing--the guy is crazy accurate when he wants to be) or our receivers drop the ball. I don't know if our offense just craps its pants in those situations or if we're just running into a patch of bad luck.