Julio Is A Beast But................

In our last five games, dating back to the NFCCG, Julio Jones has 44 receptions, 663 yards, 15.1 ypr and 4 TDs.

That projects to 141 receptions, 2122 yards, 15.1 ypr and 13 TDs over a 16 game schedule. Make no mistake those are gaudy numbers that any WR would struggle to achieve.

The problem is we are 1-4 in those five games, with the lone win coming at home against a 1-3 STL team that nearly came back to beat us.

While Julio has been beasting, the Oline has become a turnstile, the Dline is on pace for only 28 sacks, the secondary can't cover, nobody on defense can tackle, we have no return game, plus we have an aging TE, RB and DE.

Even in all of Julio's splendor can you truly say that the trade made us a better team?

I think so. We didn't miss out on much with the picks we traded in 2011 to get him except maybe Houston in the 2nd, though he had work ethic issues and went to a good situation with Hali whipping him into shape which I very seriously doubt Abraham would have done. We missed on on Zeitler in 2012 though which hurts but I'm not going to cry over it.

It is clear we are a better team with him. Minus Julio, and guessing what might have happened in hindsight with our picks, is just a futile exercise in speculation. So I'm not going to have another long debate over hypothetical, "what if" scenarios.

I mean we could have come away even worse. Or made other trades. Or picked up linemen who didn't work out, or or or....

In our last five games, dating back to the NFCCG, Julio Jones has 44 receptions, 663 yards, 15.1 ypr and 4 TDs.

That projects to 141 receptions, 2122 yards, 15.1 ypr and 13 TDs over a 16 game schedule. Make no mistake those are gaudy numbers that any WR would struggle to achieve.

The problem is we are 1-4 in those five games, with the lone win coming at home against a 1-3 STL team that nearly came back to beat us.

While Julio has been beasting, the Oline has become a turnstile, the Dline is on pace for only 28 sacks, the secondary can't cover, nobody on defense can tackle, we have no return game, plus we have an aging TE, RB and DE.

Even in all of Julio's splendor can you truly say that the trade made us a better team?

Julio - yes.

Why? Because I do not believe that this front office would have used those draft picks to correct the real issues we have. They have yet to go after our real true needs.

Championship teams build the line first. We do it as an afterthought.

Until the lines become our focus - we will continue to struggle. As I've said before - we have enough elite talent to still make plays DESPITE the lines - but not against elite teams such as you face in the playoffs. You see what happens when you have some injuries in those elite players. Even the non elite teams have success against us.

Until we build the trenches on both sides with true quality - we will continue to struggle.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I'm more disappointed in their play - or saddened by the fact that I expected this. We, as a team, have done the every other year success/fail thing as long as I can remember.

Even in 2011, where we exceeded our norm - we did not perform the the level of 2010 or 2012. I think we are just cursed. At least my heart feels that way this morning sad.png

Further, until the NFL straightens out the disparity in the referees calls - we will also continue to struggle.

Trade was a huge mistake and were paying for it now

offensive line a mess

defensive line doesn't provide consistent pass rush

lack of depth which draft picks would have filled

and worst Julio is about to get 80 million contract leaving Ryan and Julio to them self

how are they gonna be by themselves when Julio will be resigned here?

The benefit of Julio is he allows us to compete at an elite level....i.e...the first half of the two playoff games last year. He was acquired to be that special player that can completely take over a game. And he has proven to be able to do that even against VERY tough competition.

Yes, we have a LOT of holes right now. But not many of them have to do with the Julio trade. The bigger part of it is that for 2 GM regimes (McCay and Dimitroff) we can't seem to tell the difference in an OL and a turnstile, or a DL and a doormat. NEITHER McCay nor Dimi have been able to accurately gauge the qualities necessary to be a successful NFL lineman. On EITHER side of the ball. Our mid round and even high round misses in the trenches are KILLING us. Even the new whiz kid Konz looked pretty poor the last couple weeks.

or that Julio has to slow down on a underthrown pass, and play defender.

I couldnt believe all the people blaming him for that INT. If that ball is thrown into the sideline he comes down with it. It was thrown inside and ten yards short. No way he catches it.

considering our track record drafting O and D linemen.........I would much rather have Julio

Agree, agree, agree...Quick, somebody else tell me how HD could have gone to any other team to be a starter. This is what life will look like if we don't start making better decision in the off season. Roddy is hurt right now, but he is no spring chicken. HD is not the answer. Don't forget we still need O-line help, a young TE, defensive help all over the place. To me it just looks as if he don't have enough guys that can win in their weekly match up. I'm giving up on TD if I see another 4th or 5th round rookie brought in here to play DE.

Edited by isproab

Agree, agree, agree...Quick, somebody else tell me how HD could have gone to any other team to be a starter. This is what life will look like if we don't start making better decision in the off season. Roddy is hurt right now, but he is no spring chicken. HD is not the answer. Don't forget we still need O-line help, a young TE, defensive help all over the place. To me it just looks as if he don't have enough guys that can win in their weekly match up. I'm giving up on TD if I see another 4th or 5th round rookie brought in here to play DE.

Actually HD could go to another team and become a starter. IF the OC used him correctly doing crosses and slants to get him open along with bunch routes ala Manning then you would have you a Wes Welker type guy. HD does not call the plays the OC does and in the hurry up Ryan does so if they are not putting these guys in formations to take advantage of the defense its not HD's fault!!

Actually HD could go to another team and become a starter. IF the OC used him correctly doing crosses and slants to get him open along with bunch formations ala Manning then you would have you a Wes Welker type guy. HD does not call the plays the OC does and in the hurry up Ryan does so if they are not putting these guys in formations to take advantage of the defense its not HD's fault!!

I couldnt believe all the people blaming him for that INT. If that ball is thrown into the sideline he comes down with it. It was thrown inside and ten yards short. No way he catches it.

Believe that was referring to an earlier play where Jones kept Talib from intercepting another deep pass.

And, no, FFS70, Jones trade isn't the problem, Falcons got plenty of comp picks to cover the 4th rounders, spent a 1st and a 2nd to get Jones.

Even with an extra 2 high picks, the injuries the Falcons have had this year would put them in a tight spot.

Falcons are currently down a starting LT, RT, FB, RB, DE, LB, LB, CB, WR. Lost 5 starters in half an hour in one game.Couple of extra players isn't going to cover that.