Smitty Not Nessasarily To Blame. Falcons Are Paper Thin On Talent.

Objective Critic

Yeah I know Smitty's play calling is conservative, but what do you expect when his QB is playing behind a crap O-line. Neither the QB nor WR's have time to do their job. So Matty Ice turns to Matty Checkdown because he is forced to. The WRs need to run short basic routes because they have no time to spread the field.

I said this all along and especially when the Falcons traded to get Julio. I love JJ as a player, but no player is worth 4 picks and you certainly dont sacrifice your offensive line for a WR. Sorry.

The fact is the Falcons are NOT even close to as talented as people are making them out to be.

Ryan is a good solid QB - not elite fanboys.

Julio is elite - but that speed is worthless for the reasons mentioned above.

Gonzo - while he had a good game yesterday has overall been hot garbage this year. Yeah he is HOF, but so what, his best years are far behind and no way is he worth 7 mill per year for these next 2 years.

Roddy is injured and lets face it on the wrong side of 30. He like all other WRs his age, he is starting going downhill. Dont expect any significant improvements if he does fully recover.

Steven Jackson has been insignificant and Jizzy and Snelling have been able to outproduce him.

This is supposed to be our "strength". Don't even get me started on a defense where TD passed on a strong draft class of defensive linemen only to draft 2 corners with our first 2 picks. Osi has been the only decent move this offseason

The fact is the Falcons are playing their best, and what you SEE is what you get.

You can flame on homers, but your arguments only amount to wishful thinking. "Only if" doesn't count as facts.

Edited by Objective Critic

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you, in part.

Our OL is not good. In my opinion, TD has failed to put enough emphasis on the OL and, as a result, our offense is suspect.

I disagree about Ryan.

Here are Ryan's stats:

Matt Ryan completed 34 of 54 passes for 421 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. He had a passer rating of 91.7. He was sacked twice and was hit five times.

I think that he is elite. He does not have the ability to run around and ad-lib plays, but he dissects defenses well and can put the ball where it needs to be. The occasional mistake does not take away the fact that Ryan is truly elite. Compare Ryan to Brady or Manning and you will see a QB that often has pass rushers collapsing the pocket or smacking him from behind. After a while, a QB naturally develops an internal clock to get rid of the ball. Ryan's clock has to run faster than Manning's or Brady's. If you have any doubts, check out video of Brady or Manning for the past five seasons. You will notice a larger umbrella around them than Ryan gets.

Julio Jones is also elite. He is still young and learning his craft, but there can be no doubt that he will be a top-3 WR in the NFL for the next five years.

Gonzalez is not garbage. He is old and it is beginning to show. But, he is still very effective. My only objection is that TD paid him too much to return.

Steven Jackson will likely make our OL look a little better, when he returns. However, our OL is so bad, the SJ factor will not make much of a difference. The money spent on SJ should have been used on a RG with legitimate run blocking talent.

The defense is a below average, but we have two very promising CB's and few good LB's to build upon. In my opinion, we need to move to a 3-4 scheme and finally add some DL's that can shut the run game down. Like everyone else, I like Babs a lot, but he is getting old and he is too small to play NT and does not like the 3-4 DE position.

This season is looking bleak, at the moment. Personally, I don't see a team worthy of the playoffs. However, this team can make huge gains this offseason, IF TD concentrates on the old adage that:

The game is won and lost in the trenches.

Edited by etherdome

Yeah I know Smitty's play calling is conservative, but what do you expect when his QB is playing behind a crap O-line. Neither the QB nor WR's have time to do their job. So Matty Ice turns to Matty Checkdown because he is forced to. The WRs need to run short basic routes because they have no time to spread the field.

I said this all along and especially when the Falcons traded to get Julio. I love JJ as a player, but no player is worth 4 picks and you certainly dont sacrifice your offensive line for a WR. Sorry.

The fact is the Falcons are NOT even close to as talented as people are making them out to be.

Gonzo - while he had a good game yesterday has overall been hot garbage this year. Yeah he is HOF, but so what, his best years are far behind and no way is he worth 7 mill per year for these next 2 years.

Roddy is injured and lets face it on the wrong side of 30. He like all other WRs his age, he is starting going downhill. Dont expect any significant improvements he if he does fully recover.

Steven Jackson has been insignificant and Jizzy and Snelling have been able to outproduce him.

This is supposed to be our "strength". Don't even get me started on a defense where TD passed on a strong draft class of defensive linemen only to draft 2 corners with our first 2 picks. Osi has been the only decent move this offseason

The fact is the Falcons are playing their best, and what you SEE is what you get.

You can flame on homers, but your arguments only amount to wishful thinking. "Only if" doesn't count as facts.

Bellichick is has seven rookies and seven undrafted rookies on his roster. The Patriots have been consistent winners for over a decade despite complete change overs, except quarterback, of the roster. Bellichick has two of his best players on the sidelines and in jail. He even had a winning season the year Brady was hurt. This excuse will not work here.

Edited by AREA51

Usually I skip reading the Forum on the 1st day post game if we lose. Day 2 and 3 folks begin to 'settle down' and post with less emotion. However, after last night it is crystal clear that no questions remain(at least in my mind) that Atlanta is going to have a very bad year based on three multi-personal problem areas. 1) offensive line --- Not one player is an above average NFL OL'man. 2) defensive line --- Babs and Peters are OK but the rest of the rotation is average at best. There is no DE play. We simply don't have any effective edge rush. Very disappointed in Osi. 3) line backers --- Weatherspoon is out but even his production and on-field attitude seems missing. Those are HUGE parts of the team --- too many to fix or expect to come together this year. We are seeing the results of neglect in drafting quality players to these positions while we loaded up on QB, WR's and DB's. Good to have those in place but we can't win with that alone. Let's face it , we are not close to winning the Big Game. Last year was the result of occasional good play, good luck and relative lack of injuries. Speaking of injuries --- does anyone really believe if SJac, Weatherspoon, Baker, Asante Samuel, a well Roddy would make up for the lack of play in the areas listed. The Coaching is a whole other topic!

Edited by Walt

Im not all for that, we have a 1 first rounder, 2 second rounders, 1 3 rounder and 6 rounder .... we have invested in the O-Line ... our problem is with player development ... we cannot develop players that is the big reason we are 1 - 3 .... our coaching staff has all the blame with this issue, plus as a coach you have to put your players in positions to win .. how many looks does Julio Jones ( your best Player) has in the Red Zone??? I cannot remember more than 2 ... so that is a coaching issue ... you can talk all you want about injuries but at the end of the game when you need to make plays ... you cannot finish ... you go to Toilolo you go to a Injured Roddy White cover by Talib NE best corner ... those are coaching ISSUES.... so Mike Smith is TO BLAME for this poor start to the season ...

Bellichick is has seven rookies and seven undrafted rookies on his roster. The Patriots have been consistent winners for over a decade despite complete change overs, except quarterback, of the roster. Bellichick has two of his best players on the sidelines and in jail. He even had a winning season the year Brady was hurt. This excuse will not work here.

Thanks for conceding that they have more talent. Remember how well the Browns were when Bellichick was head coach there. The variable was the talent he has to coach with. 2 of the best players are sidelined and yet they keep winning shows that they have talented depth chart. Starting 7 rookies and winning shows that their GM knows how to pick talent in the draft.

You made my case for me. biggrin.png

Roddy is injured and lets face it on the wrong side of 30. He like all other WRs his age, he is starting going downhill. Dont expect any significant improvements if he does fully recover.

Everything you just said was strictly pessimistic speculation. You have absolutely NO proof that Roddy is "old" and will be a non factor when he is healthy. You're just being a negative nancy. Tony Gonzalez had a career high in receiving yards yesterday. That's proof he's still valuable in the offense. You're just being a negative nancy. Steven Jackson actually WAS producing before he got hurt in the very first series of game 2. To say he was being outproduced before he got injured is asinine.

And lastly, to say the Falcons are paper thin on talent is also very asinine. The team is injured and has lost a few one possession games to undefeated teams. Two of them were on the road. You're just being a negative nancy.

I'm still baffled by people that think we would have a much better o-line if TD would have had 4 more draft picks to work with.

Look at his track record. Drafting offensive linemen is clearly not his strength.

The best linemen we've had since TD has been here were all already on the team when TD took over.

TD's had plenty of opportunities to draft offensive linemen since 2008 and here are the results:

2008 - Baker

2009 - Reynolds

2010 - Johnson, Hawley

2011 - Jackson

2012 - Konz, Holmes

2013 -

Other than this past draft TD has taken at least one offensive lineman every year and here we are.

Out of 7 linemen drafted we have how many hits? Zero? Are we hoping that with 4 more picks maybe we would have found 1 guy which would be nice. The problem is that the other 4 on the line would still be average at best.

Everything you just said was strictly pessimistic speculation. You have absolutely NO proof that Roddy is "old" and will be a non factor when he is healthy. You're just being a negative nancy. Tony Gonzalez had a career high in receiving yards yesterday. That's proof he's still valuable in the offense. You're just being a negative nancy. Steven Jackson actually WAS producing before he got hurt in the very first series of game 2. To say he was being outproduced before he got injured is asinine.

And lastly, to say the Falcons are paper thin on talent is also very asinine. The team is injured and has lost a few one possession games to undefeated teams. Two of them were on the road. You're just being a negative nancy.

Really? 31 years for a WR is when they are at their peak? Do I really need to explain how age is a factor in the NFL and how most players RETIRE by the time they hit there early to mid 30s if they even last that long?

injurys or no injurys, there is not much talent. You have Weatherspoon and Osi on defense and that is it. For the offense it is Julio and Ryan. I dont see that as a lot of talent.4 players that you can say are good or great.

Gonzo has 1 good game this season and yet you call that productive LOL. I am not being a negative nancy. you are wishfully thinking.

1-3 record says you are wrong.

I'm still baffled by people that think we would have a much better o-line if TD would have had 4 more draft picks to work with.

Look at his track record. Drafting offensive linemen is clearly not his strength.

The best linemen we've had since TD has been here were all already on the team when TD took over.

TD's had plenty of opportunities to draft offensive linemen since 2008 and here are the results:

2008 - Baker

2009 - Reynolds

2010 - Johnson, Hawley

2011 - Jackson

2012 - Konz, Holmes

2013 -

Other than this past draft TD has taken at least one offensive lineman every year and here we are.

Out of 7 linemen drafted we have how many hits? Zero? Are we hoping that with 4 more picks maybe we would have found 1 guy which would be nice. The problem is that the other 4 on the line would still be average at best.

This is what no one wants to talk about. It isn't that Dimitroff has neglected the lines. It's that he is absolutely terrible at evaluating linemen. Those guys aren't just misses, they are disasters. If just 2 or 3 of them were decent, albeit not Pro-Bowl caliber, starters, we'd at least have something to work with. But no, all of those guys are bums.

All this "Matt Ryan is an elite QB" talk needs to stop. Last night's game should have shown everyone what the definition of an elite quarterback really is.

Brady led his team to victory with a bunch of rookie WR's, no Gronk, no Jailbait, no Amendola, no Wilfork on D.

..with a good offensive line. Brady could knit a sweater with that pocket & still complete all of his passes.

Yeah Ryan is not elite. Because an elite QB would not only be able to pass for 421 yards & two tds, but would also generate a pass rush on defense, provide himself with ample protection in the pocket & develop a solid game plan. Ryan blows.

This is what no one wants to talk about. It isn't that Dimitroff has neglected the lines. It's that he is absolutely terrible at evaluating linemen. Those guys aren't just misses, they are disasters. If just 2 or 3 of them were decent, albeit not Pro-Bowl caliber, starters, we'd at least have something to work with. But no, all of those guys are bums.

How about PLAYER DEVELOPMENT??? if the coaching staff is not to blame then you can point only to TD..

Dimitroff seems to be getting a lot less grief for this mess that we are in right now than he deserves. I will put it this way, if Smith is let loose, Dimitroff should be be chopped before him.