How Long Will It Take To Realistically Rebuild Both The O-Line And D-Line

While the question posed in the OP of this thread IS the question we need to be asking ourselves, it's too bad. Cause no one will. Everyone will be too busy throwing Smitty, or any number of other people, under the bus. As much as I hate to admit it, I believe Schwarzenegger is right on. 2-3 years. Gotta be frustrating to BE one of those elite weapons, and yet not be able to do too much because of other deficiencies. Hate it for those guys.

Considering TD saw a weakness at CB and doubled up this year, I don't see any reason why we couldn't do the same in 2014. I'd go OT and OG w/ our first 2 picks. Give Matt plenty of time and we'll be instantly a better team.

I'd go two OGs back to back in rounds 1 and 2 or go OG and DT...if you watch our line, baker is crap but Holmes played good at LT and Trueblood was ok at rt. But we leak like a sieve at both G positions. Blalock is suddenly old and fat..and Reynolds just sucked.

Btw even if we end up with losing record this year I doubt well be picking top 10. Real hard to get franchise OT on either side outside top 10. Easier to get elite guards and DT

It depends. If they want to continue with the 4-3 then I think it will take a few years but if they re-sign Peters and Babineaux, stick them to 3-4 DE, and get an NT then I like the D-line. After that it's more about injecting talent into the LB corps. For the O-line it's a matter of getting a new RG and figuring out LT. RG can be solved with a free agent, LT is obviously more tricky.

Releasing Baker is not an option for next couple of years .

Building lines takes a good 2-3 drafts from here on out

Falcons have way to many holes to build lines now

I can't see us cutting him in the offseason either but this contract looks terrible after his showing so far this year. Perhaps we move him to RT and draft a LT early in the draft.

I can't see us cutting him in the offseason either but this contract looks terrible after his showing so far this year. Perhaps we move him to RT and draft a LT early in the draft.

We knew it was essentially a three year, $18 million deal when he signed it despite the big numbers. We can't get rid of him for a few years but it wouldn't kill us cap wise to just make him ride pine.

Not sure it can be fixed with TD at the helm. He is awful at drafting guys in the trenches.

In my opinion, the main problem with the O-line is horrible coaching. They seem completely lost out there most of the time. With the D-line I just don't think we have the personnel to run a 4-3 effectively. We have the pieces to run a 3-4 well enough but without an actual NT then it's a moot point. Re-sign Babs and Peters, put them at 3-4 DE, pick up someone like Hageman, and move Spoon and Bartu to ILB then I think we're cooking.

How long will it take to realistically rebuild both the O-Line and D-Line?

Who would you realistically keep on either one?

What is the cap hit if we release Sam Baker at the end of this year ?

As long as Mike Smith is our coach then your pissing up a rope--they (Flower Branch) are thinking a tweak or extra practise will fix this all the while the foundation walls have serious cracks

one offseason is enough for most teams if you really focus on it

If you sign the right vets and follow that up with picking lineman in the top of the draft, you can probably have a good enough like for what we need. I 2-3 years, it can be top notch. Look at San Fran and Seattle. Both had horrible lines a few years ago. Now 2 of the best.

If you sign the right vets and follow that up with picking lineman in the top of the draft, you can probably have a good enough like for what we need. I 2-3 years, it can be top notch. Look at San Fran and Seattle. Both had horrible lines a few years ago. Now 2 of the best.

Seattles O-line is terrible, probably worse than ours right now. You see Russell Wilson run for his life yesterday? They probably have more injuries than us too. But thats the key for them, they have a QB that can escape.

Edited by Romfal