Roddy White Said Why Smitty Should Be Fired.

Olineman64C

In the pre-game interview with Roddy and Julio, they were asked the team's biggest weakness.

Roddy responded, "We need to finish. We don't play with a sense of urgency until our backs are to the wall."

And this is apparent. He is 100% correct. This lackadaisical attitude is pure coaching. There is no accountability from Smitty for complacency. There have been no consequences for poor play. If you're one of Smitty's Boyz, then you're golden.

This crystallizes and defines why Smitty should be fired.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the pre-game interview with Roddy and Julio, they were asked the team's biggest weakness.

Roddy responded, "We need to finish. We don't play with a sense of urgency until our backs are to the wall."

And this is apparent. He is 100% correct. This lackadaisical attitude is pure coaching. There is no accountability from Smitty for complacency. There have been no consequences for poor play. If you're one of Smitty's Boyz, then you're golden.

To add to this...and I may be reaching here, but during pre-game right before kickoff the broadcast showed several Falcons players in a pre game huddle...you know where they get all fired up and have some sort of chant...

Well, our guys (I believe it was Willy Mo ONE OF MY FAVORITE FALCONS who said "Everybody is watching, we're the only game on TV tonight...so let's show out" Somebody else then added, "Let's go earn our paycheck!" and they broke down the whole thing with

"Earn our paycheck on 3..."

It was all an exercise in mediocrity. No fire...no passion, just the businesslike approach of earning a paycheck.

Where does it say, "Why Smith should be fired"? There is a lot of blame to go around. You can say that Nolan's scheme is not working, but he get's an excuse because of the injuries. The same could be said about Dirk. You think that everything is Mike Smith's fault? This ain't about a golden boy. I'm nobody's boy. I can just see thing beyond the sideline or TV screen. Maybe you should stop lusting over other team's coaches and players.

Where does it say, "Why Smith should be fired"? There is a lot of blame to go around. You can say that Nolan's scheme is not working, but he get's an excuse because of the injuries. The same could be said about Dirk. You think that everything is Mike Smith's fault? This ain't about a golden boy. I'm nobody's boy. I can just see thing beyond the sideline or TV screen. Maybe you should stop lusting over other team's coaches and players.

The head coach is responsible for the entire on-field product. Things that are not specifically his fault are still his responsibility. But a team who's star receiver admits on a nationally aired pre-game show that the team plays with no sense of urgency is a team that has tuned out the coach.

Smitty has been reduced to background noise.

The head coach is responsible for the entire on-field product. Things that are not specifically his fault are still his responsibility. But a team who's star receiver admits on a nationally aired pre-game show that the team plays with no sense of urgency is a team that has tuned out the coach.

Smitty has been reduced to background noise.

He was talking about himself, and his teammates.

It can also say volumes about the players themselves. These are well paid professional football players. They also have skin in the game and take responsibility for not performing up to their potential. To me, this is Roddy saying the players need to step up.

I agree. But who instills the culture of the locker room? Who sets the tone? Who has let players continue to walk out onto the field after playing with a slack attitude? Who play poorly? Who play with no focus or desire.?

Smitty. Smitty does.

People gave me a hard time and called me all kinds of names over my anti-D Block stance. Well, that type of culture, the allowance of players who were the defense's weakest link to also be the face of the defense, is indicative of the culture of permissiveness that pervades this locker room. Instead of me, a poster on a message board, saying "make some plays and earn the right to run your yaps", it should have been Smitty saying this. Smitty should have pulled the plug on that until the defense in general, and the linebackers especially, EARNED THE RIGHT TO YAP OFF THE FIELD BY DOMINATING PLAY ON THE FIELD.

This team lacks professionalism. It lacks accountability. It lacks pride. It lacks discipline--- and no, a lack of penalties does not indicate the type of discipline that wins games.

And this entire culture of entitled permissiveness is all on Smitty.

I personally think if this teams is going to have an offensive identity, it needs to be lead by an offensive-minded coach. Smitty is a defensive-oriented coach, yet our defense has never really stood out in any meaningful way consistently. I don't know that Smitty should be fired, but this team is lacking the right flavor in the sauce. It's bland.

At some point, the players just have to make plays and I see a lot of players on the field with birds on their helmet not doing that. Coaching or no coaching, many of them make way more than the coach and need to step it the **** up, if for nothing else, personal pride.

Putting words in Roddy's mouth? Did Roddy actually say "Smitty should be fired"?, or are you just reading between the lines? Just curious.

so when I see smitty go for on fourth down in the red zone and Ryan misses a open Roddy inside the 5 with a bullet 10 feet over his head, had that worked smitty looks good, but since it didn't he looked bad for turning down the 3, Ryan was way off his game, he's as much to blame as smitty in this game.

Putting words in Roddy's mouth? Did Roddy actually say "Smitty should be fired"?, or are you just reading between the lines? Just curious.

Not trying to start a problem with you at all...I mean that sincerely. i just want to say, I don't think anyone who READ the O.P. thinks he was trying to infer Roddy directly said anything. It was clear that the o.p. was his perspective on what Roddy said.

The buck stops at the head coach, but Smitty can't execute plays for the guys. At some point in the red zone, Ryan needs to make a play.

Also, Smitty can only coach who's on the field. It was TD who let guys in critical positions walk away. So, there's plenty of blame to go around.

I find it funny that players always get the credit in interviews for what they say when it is clearly them re-iterating what the coaching has said to them all week long... You don't think Coach Smitty and Co. was up everyone arse all week about " HOW WE NEED TO FINISH GAMES AND START HAVING MORE OF A SENSE OF URGENCY!!! The message stuck with Roddy and when asked, that was what was programmed in his head. The coaching staff knows the issues and is looking to work it out with what they have to work with. Decoud is playing horrible right now, but should we start 11 first year starters all at once?

Edited by åntcap24

Coaching is a problem, but I wouldn't say it's pure coaching. That just tells me coaching and player leadership is weak.

Not trying to start a problem with you at all...I mean that sincerely. i just want to say, I don't think anyone who READ the O.P. thinks he was trying to infer Roddy directly said anything. It was clear that the o.p. was his perspective on what Roddy said.

I get it. All i'm saying, is that Smitty, along with many other team leaders have stated on numerous occasions what has been painfully obvious to even the most novice fan.

I find it funny that players always get the credit in interviews for what they say when it is clearly them re-iterating what the coaching has said to them all week long... You don't think Coach Smitty and Co. was up everyone arse all week about " HOW WE NEED TO FINISH GAMES AND START HAVING MORE OF A SENSE OF URGENCY!!! The message stuck with Roddy and when asked, that was what was programmed in his head. The coaching staff knows the issues and is looking to work it out with what they have to work with. Decoud is playing horrible right now, but should we start 11 first year starters all at once?

Exactly!