Mlb Postseason Thread

Unknøwn

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really love the new WC format. It's good that coming in 2nd place isn't equal to winning the division. Gives the words Wild Card true meaning.

I know the NL 100x better than I know the AL, but I assume the Rays will win tonight.

I'm rooting - along with the rest of the country - for the Pirates in the NL. However, I think the Dodgers and Red Sox are playing in the WS.

TUESDAY OCTOBER 1

NL WC: Reds at Pirates - 8:07 PM ET - TBS

WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 2

AL WC: Rays at Indians - 8:07 PM ET - TBS

THURSDAY OCTOBER 3

Game 1: Reds/Pirates at Cardinals - 5:07 PM ET - TBS

Game 1: Dodgers at Braves - 8:37 PM ET - TBS

FRIDAY OCTOBER 4

Game 2: Reds/Pirates at Cardinals - 1:07 PM ET - MLB Network

Game 1: Rays/Indians at Red Sox - 3:07 PM ET - TBS

Game 2: Dodgers at Braves - 6:07 PM ET - TBS

Game 1: Tigers at Athletics - 9:37 PM ET - TBS

SATURDAY OCTOBER 5

Game 2: Rays/Indians at Red Sox - 5:37 PM ET - TBS

Game 2: Tigers at Athletics - 9:07 PM ET - TBS

SUNDAY OCTOBER 6

Game 3: Cardinals at Reds/Pirates - TBA - TBS

Game 3: Braves at Dodgers - TBA - TBS

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...8&vkey=news_mlb

I really love the new WC format. It's good that coming in 2nd place isn't equal to winning the division. Gives the words Wild Card true meaning.

I know the NL 100x better than I know the AL, but I assume the Rays will win tonight.

I'm rooting - along with the rest of the country - for the Pirates in the NL. However, I think the Dodgers and Red Sox are playing in the WS.

I hate it. You don't play 162 games to have a 1 game elimination playoff. It needs to be a 3 game series. 1 team having a stud ace starter doesn't mean that team is overall better than the other. If they can fix the 1 game junk, then I'd like it more.

I hate it. You don't play 162 games to have a 1 game elimination playoff. It needs to be a 3 game series. 1 team having a stud ace starter doesn't mean that team is overall better than the other. If they can fix the 1 game junk, then I'd like it more.

Exactly. Take the Reds and Pirates game tonight. If the Reds win they get to play on and the Pirates season is over despite the fact that the Pirates just swept the Reds in Cincinnati to finish 4 games ahead of them.

Exactly. Take the Reds and Pirates game tonight. If the Reds win they get to play on and the Pirates season is over despite the fact that the Pirates just swept the Reds in Cincinnati to finish 4 games ahead of them.

Or the Braves losing their 1 game playoff against a team they were 6 games better than. It just amplifies fluky plays and bad calls for no reason. The only thing about having a 3 game wild card play in series is that the other teams wait too long. Though, they could've been playing M, T, and W this week and starting the next series on Thursday. No days off for the wildcard team.

Or the Braves losing their 1 game playoff against a team they were 6 games better than. It just amplifies fluky plays and bad calls for no reason. The only thing about having a 3 game wild card play in series is that the other teams wait too long. Though, they could've been playing M, T, and W this week and starting the next series on Thursday. No days off for the wildcard team.

I actually think they could do the best of 3 in just 2 days. In college baseball it's a double elimination format where if the first two games are split they turn around and play game 3 the same day as game 2. So you have Game 1 on Tuesday followed by game 2 on Wednesday afternoon and then if there needs to be a 3rd game you play it Wednesday night. They do it in college so why can't they do it in the majors?

I actually think they could do the best of 3 in just 2 days. In college baseball it's a double elimination format where if the first two games are split they turn around and play game 3 the same day as game 2. So you have Game 1 on Tuesday followed by game 2 on Wednesday afternoon and then if there needs to be a 3rd game you play it Wednesday night. They do it in college so why can't they do it in the majors?

$$ I'm sure they could. Would the better record get games 2 and 3 then?

I think they should have the play-in series, best of 3. In the NFL the wild card teams don't get any time off, and the two top seeds in each conference do, so why not baseball?

Sports has always been about who is better on that day. You don't want to play in the wildcard play in win your division. That simple really

Everybody says that but not every division is created equal. If all the divisions were the same with all the teams playing the same competition then sure that would be a fair and valid line of reasoning but it's not in the current structure. The Pirates finished 3 games behind the Cardinals in their division but were 2 games better than the Dodgers who won their division.

I will give you that this year was as balanced as all 6 divisions have been in a long time as far as the division winners go.

AL East - Red Sox 97 wins

AL Central - Tigers 93 wins

AL West - Athletics 96 wins

NL East - Braves 96 wins

NL Central - Cardinals 97 wins

NL West - Dodgers 92 wins

But most years you have a case like last year when the Braves won 94 games but finished 4 games behind the Nationals but had they been in the AL Central they would have finished 6 games ahead of the Tigers who won only 88 games and won their division.

This. I wish they'd just get rid of divisions, go to a balanced schedule, and let the top 6 records in each league go to the playoffs.

Or just get rid of the wildcard completely. I'd be fine with that too.

Everybody says that but not every division is created equal. If all the divisions were the same with all the teams playing the same competition then sure that would be a fair and valid line of reasoning but it's not in the current structure. The Pirates finished 3 games behind the Cardinals in their division but were 2 games better than the Dodgers who won their division.

I will give you that this year was as balanced as all 6 divisions have been in a long time as far as the division winners go.

AL East - Red Sox 97 wins

AL Central - Tigers 93 wins

AL West - Athletics 96 wins

NL East - Braves 96 wins

NL Central - Cardinals 97 wins

NL West - Dodgers 92 wins

But most years you have a case like last year when the Braves won 94 games but finished 4 games behind the Nationals but had they been in the AL Central they would have finished 6 games ahead of the Tigers who won only 88 games and won their division.

I understand that. But it still remains the same. You know enough about me that I don't deal with excuses. You play the hand your dealt. Your division could be the strongest. If you aren't good enough to compete in your division than you aren't good enough to win the title. Notice I said compete not win your division

This. I wish they'd just get rid of divisions, go to a balanced schedule, and let the top 6 records in each league go to the playoffs.

Or just get rid of the wildcard completely. I'd be fine with that too.

wildcard created too much excitement when they introduced it. Dont think baseball will ever get rid of it

Since we dont have a Braves thread yet I figured I would just post this in here.

Braves had a private workout today and Fredi met with some guys about the postseason roster. A source has told Braves reporter Mark Bowman that Uggla was informed today he will NOT be on the NLDS roster. The report goes onto say nothing is final and the Braves will check the health of all the players before making it final. Again this is just a report and not an official announcement. IF it turns about to be the case Elliot Johnson will be your starting 2B come Thursday.

Uggla did hit .099 (yes you read that right 10-for-101) in the final 36 games.