Vince Wilfork Has Torn Achilles Tendon

Kevo

He may be out for the season.

http://mobile.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/09/source_wilfork_torn_achilles_tendon

ATLANTA - It wasn't good to see Vince Wilfork limp off the field in the first half of the Patriots' win over Atlanta, and the news is about as bad as it could be for New England: according to a league source, the veteran tore his right Achilles' tendon.

The Patriots announced that Wilfork had an ankle injury during the game, and he was spotted leaving the Georgia Dome after the game with his lower leg in a walking boot.

Wilfork will more than likely be placed on season-ending injured reserve.

It will be interesting to see if the Patriots try to swing a trade for a defensive tackle to take Wilfork's place -though rookie Joe Vellano had a sack of Matt Ryan, New England is very thin at the position.

A team captain, Wilfork has been the linchpin of the defense for several years, playing an impressive number of snaps for his position.

This article actually says that Falcons fans booed Wilfork's injury.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/29/vince-wilfork-hauled-off-early-on/

There were some boos in the Georgia Dome when Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork hobbled off the field.

But any concerns from Falcons fans that he might just be trying to slow the pace of play were put to rest a few moments later.

Wilfork was just hauled to the locker room with his right shoe and sock off, after being checked by trainers. His return has been termed questionable.

That leaves the Patriots very thin inside, leaving them to rely on Tommy Kelley and a pair of rookies in Joe Vellano and Chris Jones.

I agree...that kind injury for a big man might be career threatening.

I hate to write anybody off, but yeah I'm willing to say that's pretty much it for him. He might come back, but he's likely going to be a shell of himself. Feet injuries for linemen like that are pretty devastating with the way they have to shift their weight around.

Beason is a good bit younger and a top-shelf athlete who has trained and trained his azz off to come back, yet he's not even close to what he was before the injury.

I dont think this injury is career threatening because he plays in a phone booth. He doesnt have to cut and try to maneuver like a DB or LB.

But he weighs a helluva lot more than a LB or DB.

When weight and leverage comes into play it could be career ending.