So I Just Finished Watching The Pvr'd Falcons-Pats Game

Bart2Ryan+beyond

Some of you may have read a post I started earlier today about how I was going to watch Breaking Bad and pvr the game. Well I just finished watching the game and have come to the conclusion that the Falcons formula is getting tepid. It was quite ironic to make it into the red zone only to fail again. Where do I begin?

First I think Smith over-reacted in the first half when he went for it on 4th and 2 instead of the chip shot FG. Of course it doesn't help when Ryan makes a terrible throw, but I think the decision to go for it was a result of not going for a similar 4th down last week at the end of the first half in Miami. I just don't think he has a philosophy and he's struggling to find one.

In the Smitty era the Falcons have been successful in the regular season because:

• they don't commit a lot of penalties
  • usually win the turnover battle
  • convert a lot of 3rd downs
  • play decent red zone defense
  • are pretty good at red zone offense
  • usually control the clock and time of possession

The above has allowed them to win a lot of close games in the last 5 years and maybe in the first 4 games this year that worm has turned and now instead of getting the clutch catch or throw or good defensive play, they're getting a drop or bad throw or defensive holding call (deserved I might add) or a drive killing penalty. The Falcons have been successful winning with a small margin for error and now maybe that margin has vanished. I don't trust this team to stop the other team or get a key first down or a TD - not so far this year. This was a hobbled NE team and they were totally kicking our azz and it was only a lot of luck that made the game go down to the wire.

I'm not a throw-in-the-towel guy and it is still early but I just don't have a good feeling about how this unfolding. The next 4 weeks are: NYJ, bye, TB, @ Zona - these are win-able games and the Falcons MUST win all 3, get above .500 before anyone can entertain playoff fantasies.

Lastly, I never bytch about ref's calls in RC but I have a hard time believing that Gonzo was not held on the last two plays.

Luckily, the whole NFC is trash, and we're just sitting somewhere in the garbage pile...a WC spot is still truly ours to win or lose.

It really seems like the whole league is having a down year, with only a few teams looking like contenders. However, those teams all could easily fall victim to a playoff upset, the league is just about anybody's game this year.

Smitty seems to be more of a reactive style of coach rather than an progressive style of coach.

The reactive style of coaches tend to only get so far.

With the personnel that the Falcons have...a progressive coach, imo, would be a much better fit.

Edited by Kevo

I did notice the refs being spotty at times.

The refs missed a lot of calls. For both teams. There was a ton of holding on the Falcons last drive. No Flags.

Early in the game, I swear I saw some of the Falcons' Oline not only holding the Dline, but when some of the defenders of the Dline got knocked down, the Falcons Oline would literally stand over them and hold them down, while they were laying flat on their backs, so there was no chance of them even trying to get up.

Progressive meaning thinking ahead of the game...more aggressive.

Reactive meaning reacting to what other teams are doing rather than what you want to do.

Also depends on what kind of players he has at the qb position, maybe? Fox was a reactive type of coach with the Panthers, due to not having a great qb, and would rather play it safe and try to counter, opposed to being aggressive. He was the same way his first year with the Broncos as well..........

Then he finally got a qb that he felt could handle an aggressive approach........and, well.. now his team is on pace to crush scoring records.

Could Smith not feel that Ryan can be the type of qb to lead an aggressive offense?

Also depends on what kind of players he has at the qb position, maybe? Fox was a reactive type of coach with the Panthers, due to not having a great qb, and would rather play it safe and try to counter, opposed to being aggressive. He was the same way his first year with the Broncos as well..........

Then he finally got a qb that he felt could handle an aggressive approach........and, well.. now his team is on pace to crush scoring records.

Could Smith not feel that Ryan can be the type of qb to lead an aggressive offense?

I just don't think that they collectively have the killer instinct.

Maybe a different coach might bring that out.

When Drew was in San Diego,he was playing under Marty Schottenheimer. Marty ball was more of a run first reactive style of offense.

Drew comes to NOLA under Sean Payton,and it's a more progressive,wide open,killer instinct style of offense...and Drew flourishes.

I think Smitty may be holding Matthew back.