Can We Discuss Our Redzone Playcalling?

Bill Brasky

It baffles me how in a situation like we had tonight, when we have a HOF tight end and a beast young receiver, not to mention a kid that can juke peoples pants off, the go to option is an injured receiver who is being covered by the best defender on the opposing team.

You did see what they did to TG, right? He couldn't even get off the LOS. Roddy and Julio both are hobbled. Go ahead and draw up a play for us.

You did see what they did to TG, right? He couldn't even get off the LOS. Roddy and Julio both are hobbled. Go ahead and draw up a play for us.

you bunch up the receivers with TG playing the deep receiverof the 3, that way they cant get the bump at the LOS off him....keep running HD across the field to either be open or dray the lb up...

My question is why we don't throw a fade route to Julio? That's a common play for every team, but we don't try it even with the Julio.gif floating around.

There was a 2 and 25 play where we ran a screen. That's a cop out play on 3rd down, not 2nd imo. Then the next play on 3rd and 25 we run a deep pass play that Julio makes his break at 23 yards. He didn't catch it, but if he had he would have been tackled a yard short. What is up with that?

My question is why we don't throw a fade route to Julio? That's a common play for every team, but we don't try it even with the Julio.gif floating around.

There was a 2 and 25 play where we ran a screen. That's a cop out play on 3rd down, not 2nd imo. Then the next play on 3rd and 25 we run a deep pass play that Julio makes his break at 23 yards. He didn't catch it, but if he had he would have been tackled a yard short. What is up with that?

I also can't understand the reasoning behind throwing it to the endzone on 1 out of 4 those last plays. It seems like almost every other team has a receiver open in situations like that.

I also can't understand the reasoning behind throwing it to the endzone on 1 out of 4 those last plays. It seems like almost every other team has a receiver open in situations like that.

We just seem to be running the same short of the line plays we ran under MM so I'm not sure why we should expect something different.

We have got to look at what successful teams do in the red zone and take those cutups and implement what our personnel can do....because these same plays, tired ones at that, are not working. I can;t tell you the last time I saw the fade to Julio that absolutely TORCHED defenses last year. The newness of Koetter that worked well last year seems to have worn off and teams have figured us out, especially in the red zone. We need to work on scoring from outside the redzone cuz everything else just 'aint workin'.