Be Honest With Yourself... Will It Actually Happen?

SativaSam

Let's play a little pretend here. Let's say this season is a wash. Say we go... 7-9, miss the playoffs. Does Smith get fired? Does Arthur Blank even CONSIDER firing Smith?

Now, I do NOT want this to be a "Should Smith be fired?" thread. What I mean is, will Blank even do it even if the firing is WARRANTED? We talk on this forum all the time about whether or not Mike Smith should keep his job after our losses. So I'm asking, do you personally think that Arthur Blank will even consider it? I'm the type of person that thinks this particular Falcons team would do wonders with a more disciplined coach... and I don't mean Cowher, I just mean someone else. TD has built this team at the skill positions, and we're seeing exactly why that's the wrong thing to do in the NFL. Patriots put up 30 points tonight with a bar of soap and a refrigerator at wide receiver. This team constantly underperforms, and all this team is known for is their "high flying offense" How can you expect to win anything when your only "identity" is your offense and you struggle to score 24 points a game?

Nobody gets fired.

Did you see the look on Blanks face when they zoomed in on him on the side line.... That was not the look of a happy man. This meltdown was witnessed by a lot of people and I think we got exposed big time, not even a question about it, we showed the NFL world the truth tonight, horrid coaching, bad execution and a good long look at what we are not. What we are not is a good team, we have huge , gaping holes in a lot of areas on this roster, even with a full healthy roster we are not much better. This team has shown it folds under pressure and that cant be argued, the coaching decisions, game plans, and over all schemes are amateurish , we are just not that good. We are also about to be hit by a media firestorm that is not going to be pretty, I think there is going to be some coaches on the hot seat as in all of them and I also think Arthur is not going to be as passive about the state of things as a lot of people think. It will be an interesting season from now on and at this stage we will have a problem beating any team, WE ARE THAT BAD.

Smith should be fired if they go 7-9 and miss the playoffs. He's a good coach in terms of managing a team that's in transition (Petrino / Vick) but he's not a coach that can take you to the promised land. Not an elite coach like Belichick or Sean Payton, just a good one. Thing is, which elite coach would be available? I don't see one.

Mr. Blank knows the history of this team. He knows Mike Smith is the best coach we have ever had and this is the most success we have ever had. I think he is concerned but he will give MS a chance to turn this thing around again. I think he looks at teams like Pittsburg and how they stay with coaches and are consistent but he has to evaluate things on his own. Hopefully we turn it around.

In the 23 other similar threads where I've commented, I've said the same thing: Smith is safe this season and next season. The only scenario in which Blank would fire him before the end of next season is if the team has completely given up and are losing every game. If that happens, it would be possible, otherwise no.

I like Mike Smith, though I often criticize his over all coaching philosophy and in-game decisions. He's done a great job of pulling this team out of the ditch and bringing an air of credibility and respectability to what has traditionally been a woebegone franchise. I'd like to see him be the guy to learn from his mistakes, figure out how to beat the good teams in the big games and take this current bunch of players to the Super Bowl. Blank undoubtedly feels the same. Smith has earned at least this year and next to get the cherry on top of the pie. All we can do is hope he can get it sorted out. One thing I will say though is if this offense continues to struggle in the Red Zone I wouldn't keep Koetter around past this season. He's not the bright, creative, aggressive offensive mind that this team needs to get it to the next level.

I think he does. Or at least somebody gets fired.

Remember before the season people were saying if we go one and done in the playoffs again someone will be gone? Do we honestly think that is no longer true after a 1-3 start? We may not even make the playoffs!!

In the 23 other similar threads where I've commented, I've said the same thing: Smith is safe this season and next season. The only scenario in which Blank would fire him before the end of next season is if the team has completely given up and are losing every game. If that happens, it would be possible, otherwise no.

I like Mike Smith, though I often criticize his over all coaching philosophy and in-game decisions. He's done a great job of pulling this team out of the ditch and bringing an air of credibility and respectability to what has traditionally been a woebegone franchise. I'd like to see him be the guy to learn from his mistakes, figure out how to beat the good teams in the big games and take this current bunch of players to the Super Bowl. Blank undoubtedly feels the same. Smith has earned at least this year and next to get the cherry on top of the pie. All we can do is hope he can get it sorted out. One thing I will say though is if this offense continues to struggle in the Red Zone I wouldn't keep Koetter around past this season. He's not the bright, creative, aggressive offensive mind that this team needs to get it to the next level.

I think Koetter should let Ryan call his own plays in the red zone or look back at what Mularkey did, what he's using isn't working.

I don't know how anyone could objectively look at how Mr. Blank has conducted himself as the owner of this team and honestly say that he's only interested in making money and not in winning a Super Bowl with the Falcons, frankly. Everything he's said and done done indicates that he's all about winning.

"We're not there yet," Blank said. "I think that's the step that we have to make. I've often used the expression 'Good is the enemy of great.' We have to become great. That's often a very difficult step to make in a league that's designed to promote parity.

Remember that? That's from January 2012. It's the same press conference where our idiot GM commented that there are "no sacred cows" on our roster. What have we changed since then? Abe and Turner got old and worthless and we cut them loose, and McClure retired. That's really about it. This team keeps doing the same crap over and over and over, so don't give me that BS about saying the right things. All of these jackasses say the right things. Then they do nothing to back it up. As long as butts are in the seats, Blank won't do ****.

Mr. Blank knows the history of this team. He knows Mike Smith is the best coach we have ever had and this is the most success we have ever had. I think he is concerned but he will give MS a chance to turn this thing around again. I think he looks at teams like Pittsburg and how they stay with coaches and are consistent but he has to evaluate things on his own. Hopefully we turn it around.

he'll be here this year and next year, based on the record of wins he has up to this point, but a mediocre year again and he'll be gone.

I just wish we had a coach that has a "I don't take shi* from no one" attitude in the redzone and 2nd half. He talks about finishing all the time with this team and they just don't get his message. Seems like all Smitty is concerned with is writing down penalties on his cute little notepad... I mean, it's nice that he cares about limiting penalties, but there's more to winning a **** football game than penalties. 2 of our 6 last night were committed by Sack Maker who was prolly not even at 60% health, it's no surprise Sam Baker found a way to hold on a run to the right side play, 15 yards away from the actual play. It's Smitty's fault for starting the sorry piece of crap.

No. Blank doesn't care about winning anything. We could go 1-15 and if people keep showing up and putting money in his pockets, Smitty won't go anywhere.

Well, I know that ain't the truth. We HAD an owner like that. This owner has stated his goal of "a championship" both publicly and privately multiple times.

I am 100% certain Blank will not fire Smitty at the end of this season for the three reasons below. How confident am I? I will stand on Peachtree street naked and post it on you-tube if Smith is fired before the start of next season.

Here's why:

1) Blank realizes now he was quick on the trigger with Reeves when Vick was injured. Reeves actually had Vick in a system he could understand and flourish in. Too late now.

2) After the Vick/Petrino fiasco, Blank did what smart businessmen do. He mentored from the best. He spoke with the Krafts and the Rooneys and asked them about their philosophy. What he learned is that continuity is what builds championship organizations. If you continuously replace regimes, the disruption of personnel and coaching philosophy will NEVER allow you to develop. The Steelers have had three head coaches in over 50 years. The first two retired. That means they have fired ZERO coaches in that time frame in which they have now 6 (or 7?) championships. We've had sixteen head coaches in less than that time. ALL of which were fired.

3) Mike Smith has the best winning percentage of all active NFL head coaches. ALL of them. That includes the guy we faced last night. It includes Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin, and the upstart Harbaughs (both of em). That alone is enough to earn Smitty an off-year or even two. Cause really... how much better of a head coach can we realistically expect to find?

Edited by since68andcounting