Believe It Or Not, Within Ten Years, Some Of You Here Will Not Believe In The Same Things You Do Now

AREA 51

I do not know anybody’s age here, though it is relevant, it is not necessary for the discussion. I am not bashful, I am 45 years old, and through the years a lot of things have changed in my life. Changes happen to everyone, and they can even include one’s outlook and opinions. When I was 24 years old, I had a good job, and my bossed like me. He took me with him to Braves games, races, and on other free junkets he got from salesmen. I was a good employee, and my boss finally rewarded with a promotion. He was completely happy with me, well, that was until the 1992 Presidential election. You see, I voted for Clinton, and he was already upset about Bush’s loss, when I began to gloat. After that he stayed on my case about little things for few weeks, but he got over it. He liked me, but he thought I was liberal, and he was right. Yes, I was what many would consider, a liberal. I believed in most everything a liberal believes in concerning government and taxes and the environment and so on.

So what happened, one might ask, well, a few things did. Besides working a job and making more money, I finally noticed all the deductions from my paycheck and how much the government was taking. I bought a house. I got married. I had children. I lived. I learned. There is just something that changes once one owns property that needs upkeep, is taxed and needs to be protected. Something changes when one has a wife and family and they are now responsible for other human beings. It is easy to care about everyone and everything else when there is no one depending on you. Life is simple, but then children become your focus. Family becomes your focus, and when the government wants to take money from your family and give it to someone else it becomes upsetting to say the least.

When one gets older and has a family they become more morally sound. It is easy to shun morals when no one looks up to you, but I have to teach my children to be good human beings, thus I have to be a better one. Things I used to indulge in, the bad stuff, the irresponsible stuff, I now find them in contrast to being the father I need to be. I need to be the best I can be for my children. I understood that many of the things I did were not good for anybody, much less a father and husband. I basically just out grew what I used to believe in, and I do not like my children being exposed to behaviors I left behind by a society that is promoting them even more.

The change is not easy to explain, and it does not happen to everyone, but for the most part, the longer one lives, the more conservative they become. Why? As one gets older they acquire assets and property. They acquire added responsibilities of family, and they acquire maturity. Life experience shows one that things are not so black and white in the world. It shows problems are much more complex and their solutions even more so. I used think simple. Poor people need more money, get the government to tax more, give that money to the poor, and problem is solved, right.

Well, I learned it does not work so simple, and I need the money we worked for to go to our family, our children, our house, our savings, our retirement. I realized the only ones I am responsible for are the ones under my roof, and that is how it should be. It is not selfish, it is responsibility. If everyone focused on that responsibility there would be much less poverty.

This is not an absolute course, and if one is over thirty, owns a home, married with kids, and they are still liberal, then they are probably never going to change. Those who are under thirty may be surprised how your opinions will change over the next five to ten years, especially as one adds each of the life experiences above. When I was 24, I was sure about what I believed in, and then I actually began to experience life.

Edited by AREA51

Can someone post a summary? I don't have time to read all that. I have to work in the morning.

Every decade, people think differently than they did before. Except the OP, who apparently has everything figured out already. So anyone who doesn't change their beliefs every decade is stubborn. Except the OP, who apparently has everything figured out already.

If your views remain the same on all issues over time, you aren't thinking and reconsidering enough.

But if you think everyone else's views will change to be just like yours (which are immutable), then, well, ditto.......

What if you're like me and got it right the first time? tongue.png

Edited by Free Radical

You have a way of turning typical GOP soundbites into novels. For those who want it:

tl;dr You're a liberal until you become a responsible, successful, family man and mature into a God fearing conservative.

I tend to think that people should become more complex over time. I know I hold positions now that I would not have 15 years ago, and some of those would be categorized as "liberal" by some and others would be categorized as "conservative" by others. I think it's harder to put someone in a box who has lived a bit longer and seen a bit more.

That's not always true, but I think it's mostly true.

I tend to think that people should become more complex over time. I know I hold positions now that I would not have 15 years ago, and some of those would be categorized as "liberal" by some and others would be categorized as "conservative" by others. I think it's harder to put someone in a box who has lived a bit longer and seen a bit more.

That's not always true, but I think it's mostly true.

I was summarizing what he said, not that people's opinions don't change or shouldn't change.

I was summarizing what he said, not that people's opinions don't change or shouldn't change.

Oh, I know -- I was just expounding on it. Because you're right, it's just a stereotype that has no real basis in reality. It's one reason I despise mindless partisan politics so much. It prevents people from actually having to think about deeper issues. They can just pick a team and ride or die.

Thank for your replies, and I might mention, many of you were much kinder than I expected. After the attacking of another poster here, I thought for sure I would be under siege.

People here usually don't flame others unless they've done something really, really douchy. The people who get flamed almost always richly deserve it.

After the attacking of another poster here, I thought for sure I would be under siege.

There's been several right leaning folks on this board over the years, some of them are still here and don't post much. The only ones that are reamed on a regular basis are the certified ***holes. There's only four-five of them right now, and they have quite the history.

There's been several right leaning folks on this board over the years, some of them are still here and don't post much. The only ones that are reamed on a regular basis are the certified ***holes. There's only four-five of them right now, and they have quite the history.

People here usually don't flame others unless they've done something really, really douchy. The people who get flamed almost always richly deserve it.

The truth is, I must complement the ABF board. Comparatively speaking, of course, it is more more civil here than on the TATF board. In my experience, posters on the that board act much more intolerant of opposing views than over here. If anyone thought politics brings out the worst in people, should really try and state an opinion on the TATF board that contradicts the prevailing one. It will not be long until you will be insulted for just having an opinion. Right now, though better than last night, it is still not safe for your mother or your children.

I realize many posters do both the TATF and ABF boards or they are predominantly one or the other, but none seem to act the same as those who post only on the TATF board. They are the worst. That is my observation anyways.

I guess I'm just young and jaded because I don't believe in anything besides myself and what I can do to guide my own life in the direction I want to go. I believe in my own mind and try to keep a tight reign on my heart because that ***** will lie to you and laugh about it.

I suppose love can be real but I have lost a lot of loved ones and my mom was such an enabler that just wanted me out of the house as soon as possible.

I was like any other young dummy when I had my first boyfriend I was in so deep and thought it was forever. Within a few months I could not stand to be around him because he treated things that I loved like they were unimportant.

Been on my own for about a year now and after some really hard times of barely eating, trying to work and educate myself, I found out its best just to believe in yourself and exprct nothing from anyone.

As far as the government, **** every branch every party every level from local to feds, from the dogcatcher to the president, they are all liars and prostitutes.

So yea, I will still believe in the same thing in a year.

In myself.

Edited by anniesmokely