Per Chris Mortensen: Nfl Mulls Expanding To 14 Playoff Teams, Cutting Preseason To 3 Games

BankerBird™

I see they're just not going to leave well enough alone until they get to that 18th game.

Personally, I don't care for it. Of course that doesn't mean I'm not going to watch every **** game I can, but 14 teams? That just cheapens the regular season which right now is about as perfect as you can find in professional sports. There's just so much at stake every weekend. Just look at the way message boards across the league melt down after every loss. With 14 teams in it's almost like NBA where you REALLY have to suck not to make the playoffs.

I don't like it, they better increase roster limits with so many injuries in the NFL. Figure that out and then expand the games.

Where did anything say they were adding games? They're only thinking about taking away a preseason game, that's it. Same amount of regular season and playoff games....

I see they're just not going to leave well enough alone until they get to that 18th game.

Personally, I don't care for it. Of course that doesn't mean I'm not going to watch every **** game I can, but 14 teams? That just cheapens the regular season which right now is about as perfect as you can find in professional sports. There's just so much at stake every weekend. Just look at the way message boards across the league melt down after every loss. With 14 teams in it's almost like NBA where you REALLY have to suck not to make the playoffs.

Again it doesn't say they're proposing 18 games right now (but I'm sure it's coming in the next decade). I agree with the rest

Edited by MisterC

Seven playoff teams per conference probably means that only the #1 seed gets a first round bye, while the remaining 6 play against each other, #2 vs. #7, #3 vs. #6 and #4 vs. #5...

I think that would work, I wouldn´t mind it

That would be only if they expand the season to 17 games, they are taking away a week by eliminating the 4th preseason game. So it would either be a 17th week game or another round of playoffs somehow.

I would like a 17th game added as a Rival Week where they create a rival every year with an AFC team vs an NFC team and they rotate home games every year to keep it fair...

Example: Giants vs Jets, 49ers vs Raiders, Texans vs Cowboys, Eagles vs Steelers

Where did anything say they were adding games? They're only thinking about taking away a preseason game, that's it. Same amount of regular season and playoff games....

Again it doesn't say they're proposing 18 games right now (but I'm sure it's coming in the next decade). I agree with the rest

I know it's not 18 on paper, but that's clearly where they're trying to get things one way or another. Expanded playoffs means a team goes from a potential of 16 games that count -- 20 with the playoffs -- to a potential 21. And that 4th preseason game... we know what a joke that game is, so it is a way of adding a game.

Meh. Why bother with a regular season at all? Why not just play a couple of preseason games and then open up Play-OFF Round One! You play each team on your schedule a best-of-three mini play-off round. Winners go into the Winner's Bracket, Losers go into the Loser's Bracket, but nobody gets eliminated because you have to lose about ten mini-rounds to even get relegated to the Wild Card Round Bracket. To ensure there are enough bodies to complete the expected 150-game Super Play-Off schedule, instead of having a draft, every college senior with any football experience will have their names placed in a hat and team GM's will pick names until everybody has 300 players on their roster.

In no time at all it will become obvious it's a terrible waste to have both sidelines overflowing with wasted manpower, so I forsee an overhaul of the rules to allow each team to have 50 players on offense and 50 on defense. Instead of the hopelessly outdated West Coast offense and the overrated Read Option, teams will be able to engage in parachute jumps behind enemy lines, sieges and real honest-to-god trench warfare! Maybe the Broncos would be permitted to add some real horses and have a calvary charge! And the Jets maybe get to strafe the opposing front 25 Defensive Linemen with a real live YF-22 fighter on third and long! The Falcons might be allowed to unleash a massive flock of peregrin Falcons on the opposing side-lines just at the moment of opening kick-off. Now wouldn't that be awesome? The possibilities for more games, more spectacle, more carnage are almost endless, I tells ya. I can't wait.

Edited by PokerSteve

i think it's stupid, u need 4 preseason games for those young guys, 7th round draft picks, to come in and make a showing and land roster spots.I mean without 4 preseason games u dont have your surprising stars, your Jason Snellings and your Tom Bradys. What can u expect though, Roger is ruining the league on a daily basis and i have became more of a college fan than NFL fan since that cigarette took over.

i think it's stupid, u need 4 preseason games for those young guys, 7th round draft picks, to come in and make a showing and land roster spots.I mean without 4 preseason games u dont have your surprising stars, your Jason Snellings and your Tom Bradys. What can u expect though, Roger is ruining the league on a daily basis and i have became more of a college fan than NFL fan since that cigarette took over.

Pre-season is even more important now that contact practices have been whittled down