Falcons Pats Predictions

LVfalconfan

I don't like the way this thing shapes up. I think Brady finds the open seam in all of our soft zones. He has one of the most highly targeted slot WR's in Edelman, the Falcons have one of the NFL's worst defenses against passes in the slot, somewhere around 25th in the league. Then throw in a generous helping of missed tackles, a pinch of PI and holding penalties, a cup of blown TD opportunities in the Red Zone, and I think you have a recipe for a 1-3 start to the season for the Falcons.

I will say this ~ a tough, close, hard-fought loss vs the Patriots would be acceptable, even though it would cause some grumblings among the faithful and a lot of "What's Wrong With the Falcons?" sports jock analysis next week. But, if this team gets curb stomped on the scoreboard, Ryan takes a beating and the team doesn't show up in the 4th quarter on both sides of the ball, then things could get real ugly real quick. You would start to hear some national sports media pundits dismissing the Falcons as a play-off contender this season. TATF will go Chernobyl and the radioactive fallout will blow outward into the local fan base with little, if any, reduction in intensity. Falcons need to play well tonight, win or lose.

I don't like the way this thing shapes up. I think Brady finds the open seam in all of our soft zones. He has one of the most highly targeted slot WR's in Edelman, the Falcons have one of the NFL's worst defenses against passes in the slot, somewhere around 25th in the league. Then throw in a generous helping of missed tackles, a pinch of PI and holding penalties, a cup of blown TD opportunities in the Red Zone, and I think you have a recipe for a 1-3 start to the season for the Falcons.

I will say this ~ a tough, close, hard-fought loss vs the Patriots would be acceptable, even though it would cause some grumblings among the faithful and a lot of "What's Wrong With the Falcons?" sports jock analysis next week. But, if this team gets curb stomped on the scoreboard, Ryan takes a beating and the team doesn't show up in the 4th quarter on both sides of the ball, then things could get real ugly real quick. You would start to hear some national sports media pundits dismissing the Falcons as a play-off contender this season. TATF will go Chernobyl and the radioactive fallout will blow outward into the local fan base with little, if any, reduction in intensity. Falcons need to play well tonight, win or lose.

Everything you said sounds reasonable. Here is the thing though, I can't read the Patriots. They have played the Bills, Bucs, and Jets. They haven't played a team with a QB who even approaches Ryan's ability. Their defense looks productive on paper, but they haven't been challenged yet. I watched the coaches film of the first half of their game last week. Tampa's WRs were covered, but they were constantly winning over the Patriots DBs anytime Freeman got the ball near them. Their DBs didn't do a good job at all of looking for the ball.

The Patriots scheme on defense will be tough if we do what we did last week. The play a lot of zone blitz type coverage. Their interior LBs constantly drift out to sneak under slants.

I predicted earlier in the week we will change our scheme based on match ups and go deep more often. We will take some sacks, but we should be able to get deep on them, even with White and Jones limited.

Thing is, I'm not impressed with the Patriots. They win games. However, they don't have that intimidation factor they have had in the past. You look at their offense, and you think, "what's to fear?" All they have right now is Brady.

So, I could see the game going they way you predict. However, I could also see us winning in a way that leaves us all scratching our heads and wondering why the first three weeks looked so hard.

We lose close or win big. I'm not sure which yet.

Everything you said sounds reasonable. Here is the thing though, I can't read the Patriots. They have played the Bills, Bucs, and Jets. They haven't played a team with a QB who even approaches Ryan's ability. Their defense looks productive on paper, but they haven't been challenged yet. I watched the coaches film of the first half of their game last week. Tampa's WRs were covered, but they were constantly winning over the Patriots DBs anytime Freeman got the ball near them. Their DBs didn't do a good job at all of looking for the ball.

The Patriots scheme on defense will be tough if we do what we did last week. The play a lot of zone blitz type coverage. Their interior LBs constantly drift out to sneak under slants.

I predicted earlier in the week we will change our scheme based on match ups and go deep more often. We will take some sacks, but we should be able to get deep on them, even with White and Jones limited.

Thing is, I'm not impressed with the Patriots. They win games. However, they don't have that intimidation factor they have had in the past. You look at their offense, and you think, "what's to fear?" All they have right now is Brady.

So, I could see the game going they way you predict. However, I could also see us winning in a way that leaves us all scratching our heads and wondering why the first three weeks looked so hard.

We lose close or win big. I'm not sure which yet.

I agree with your assessment that the Falcons can not play like they did last week and win this game. They have to drop the dink and dunk and throw the ball down field. I don't know about their wide receivers beyond Edelman, but they certainly appear capable of catching passes against our secondary with Tom Brady at the controls. I'd like to see this Falcon offense throw off its self-imposed shackles and really open things up tonight. Hurry-up, no-huddle offense, 4-wide and sling the ball to JJ, White and Douglas. If we have to lose this one, let's lose it playing wide open and going all-out to win instead playing not to lose like always.