When We Get Ahead....

BigDaddyFalcon21

I posted this in another thread but it fits better here. Our defense isn't designed to win games, it's designed not to lose them and our offense is designed to win it for us. Since 08 when we score 27 points we win 93% of the time, 30 points and we win 97% with the only loss being in 09 in OT against the g-men. As long as the middle of our line can keep wilfork out of Ryan's face we should be able to put up 30.

I wont say youre wrong. People complain that we stop scoring. Thats true but we also seem to make it hella easy to score on us as well. A 10 point lead would be gold if we could stop someone

We also have some stops in the second half but with the offense having many more 3 and outs in the second half than the first, our d gets tired and they have more opportunities. Our d held the saints to 23 week 1, that should be low enough to beat them.

why does it seem we don't play aggressive defense? It seems to me we start playing a prevent defense as soon as we get ahead. Am I wrong on this?

It is due to the BBDB defense that Smitty is so infatuated with. I personally hate it. Especially when they fail to tackle well. That is a huge component to that style. Must be a ble to pressure with front four and tackle well.

Neither of which the Falcons do well at this point in time. If the Falcons play that way tonight, Brady is liable to dink and dunk this defense all night.

I posted this in another thread but it fits better here. Our defense isn't designed to win games, it's designed not to lose them and our offense is designed to win it for us. Since 08 when we score 27 points we win 93% of the time, 30 points and we win 97% with the only loss being in 09 in OT against the g-men. As long as the middle of our line can keep wilfork out of Ryan's face we should be able to put up 30.

good post

5 field goal attempts in the game though, if we capitalized on our red zone trips it would be a different story.

Sure but Saints and Pats are winning games with 15-20% RZ scoring compared to 50% falcons Rz. This team needs a defense or else it doesn't matter what Offense does, can't expect to score a TD every drive with RW banged up.

I think it has to do with conditioning.

For whatever reason this season guys are wearing down more late in the game then they have in previous years.

I don't know if it's because of the CBA or the way Smith runs practice.

If if doesn't get corrected soon then we won't need to worry about the Super Bowl.

The whole 'defense gets tired' is a copout excuse. We routinely have dominance in time control...so the defense literally has no excuse from a 'tired' standpoint.

Even when our offense is rolling, and slowly matriculating to put together these long drives, the defense still comes out 'tired'.

How about we just have a generally poor defense?

Because the offense goes into three and out mode, the defense starts getting gassed. People ignore that part a lot. Look at the Rams game. The offense had 3 three and outs and one 5 play drive in the second half. How is a defense supposed to perform when they are on the field 3 plays after getting a stop? 3 plays can be 60 seconds.

Because the offense goes into three and out mode, the defense starts getting gassed. People ignore that part a lot. Look at the Rams game. The offense had 3 three and outs and one 5 play drive in the second half. How is a defense supposed to perform when they are on the field 3 plays after getting a stop? 3 plays can be 60 seconds.

I can't even tell you how many times I've said that.

Exactly. Offense needs to sustain drives in the second half. That's why I loves the SJAX pickup because Turner couldn't get more than 2 yards. But we have to be just as creative and balanced. It's not as simple as running too much or passing too much. We have to sustain drives and score.

I don't entirely buy this argument. If our offense goes three and out, why can't our defense hold the other team's offense and get off the field after three plays? Why should that be so one-sided against our team? Why is it that everybody says the defense gets gassed when it has to stay out on the field? Why wouldn't the other team's offense be just as "gassed" as they're also working just as hard, if not harder, than the players on defense? Why wouldn't the mutual exhaustion actually be helpful to the defense, since fatigue should make it harder for the offense to score. Also there have been great teams in the past who had very anemic offenses. The Steelers relied on their defense during their glory years, the Ravens are still known for defense, there have been a lot of Falcon teams whose defense was the backbone and dominant force on the team. These teams expected and accepted the fact their defensive units would be out on the field for 45 minutes out of 60 week in and week out. Rather than getting gassed, these teams' defense didn't collapse or fade, they stayed strong and pitched a lot of shut-outs. I don't know, it just seems too easy to just say the defense had to stay out on the field too long and got tired, especially with all the substitution packages every team uses on defense these days.

I don't entirely buy this argument. If our offense goes three and out, why can't our defense hold the other team's offense and get off the field after three plays? Why should that be so one-sided against our team? Why is it that everybody says the defense gets gassed when it has to stay out on the field? Why wouldn't the other team's offense be just as "gassed" as they're also working just as hard, if not harder, than the players on defense? Why wouldn't the mutual exhaustion actually be helpful to the defense, since fatigue should make it harder for the offense to score. Also there have been great teams in the past who had very anemic offenses. The Steelers relied on their defense during their glory years, the Ravens are still known for defense, there have been a lot of Falcon teams whose defense was the backbone and dominant force on the team. These teams expected and accepted the fact their defensive units would be out on the field for 45 minutes out of 60 week in and week out. Rather than getting gassed, these teams' defense didn't collapse or fade, they stayed strong and pitched a lot of shut-outs. I don't know, it just seems too easy to just say the defense had to stay out on the field too long and got tired, especially with all the substitution packages every team uses on defense these days.

Because it's a fact. No defense, not even the 85 bears, can consistently stop an offense when their offense makes them play 40 minutes of a 60 minute game. There is a reason the Ravens didn't win another SB until they got a QB that wasn't king of the three and out.

It takes more energy to react and defend than it does to attack and know what's going to happen. It's obvious you haven't played, and I don't mean that as a dig, because I can understand how you wouldn't understand this argument. That's why TOP and the number of plays an offense runs matters.

Our defense did a good job given their situation against the Rams. They held them to 7 points in the third quarter, but were on the field for maybe 10 minutes of the quarter. But a good defense turns average the longer they are on the field. An average defense turns below average.

Because it's a fact. No defense, not even the 85 bears, can consistently stop an offense when their offense makes them play 40 minutes of a 60 minute game. There is a reason the Ravens didn't win another SB until they got a QB that wasn't king of the three and out.

It takes more energy to react and defend than it does to attack and know what's going to happen. It's obvious you haven't played, and I don't mean that as a dig, because I can understand how you wouldn't understand this argument. That's why TOP and the number of plays an offense runs matters.

Our defense did a good job given their situation against the Rams. They held them to 7 points in the third quarter, but were on the field for maybe 10 minutes of the quarter. But a good defense turns average the longer they are on the field. An average defense turns below average.

Ya mean until the Ravens got WR's that can catch Hail Marys all game!

I agree...Theres a reason for the saying "a good defense is a good offense." However on a side note decoward and nicholost are normally the ones to give up the big third down conversion. They have to be replaced. I would start by letting asante play some free safety. I suspect nicholost is only in there until the other lbs get up to speed.

Because our salary cap hit is extremely weighted heavily to the offensive side of the ball, meaning we put most of our eggs in that basket counting on them to carry the team. Our two highest paid defenders were cut this off season. it's easy to say its on the defense because we are giving up a lead but if you are watching the game it tells a different story. Our offense stalls in the second half, especially in the red zone. We have a 6'8" tight end we have targeted once in the red zone, there is a problem there. We also tend to stop running the ball in the red zone making us one dimensional, when we have run Snelling he has scored.

I have an Idea, we cut the connection between Smith and Koetter during the game, those 2 cannot communicate.

2nd. Koetter can only watch "the game" when the Falcons offense is on the field.

3rd. We tell Koetter he cannot know the score of the game and needs to run the offense as if he has to score on every drive in order to win.

3rd quarter meltdowns fixed.