Great Win Dawgs.....but We Need Some Db's

lju713

I'm really trying to not be too low on our secondary. With 3/4 of them being totally new starters, this brutal early schedule is not the most conducive to letting them get settled in. It's easy for them all to look horrible when they just aren't on the same page.

For what it's worth, LSU has the same problem. I doubt anyone in LSU Land is happy at all that their defense gave up 44 points. When they score 41, it's usually a blowout win.

I think we all probably need to hope the dline and lb's continue to develop at this point. They got more pressure this past week and hopefully the switch just flips on for some of these guys. I would love to see Drew start becoming a force along with Mayes and some of the other guys. The secondary is just going to have to sink or swim. I think some of the problems in the secondary is that a lot of guys look confused at times as to where they need to line up and what they need to do, which is understandable with our young defense.

LSU has some very talented receivers and Mett was doing a very good job of hanging in the pocket and getting the ball out of his hands quickly. I'm not making excuses for Grantham or the defense, but they(lsu) played very well.

Edited by richham

They did play well and I guess I've been spoiled by a player stepping up year in and year out. Commings,Boykin,Rambo,and S.Williams weren't the highest recruits but performed. Branden Smith and Swann came with hype but all we see is the back of they're jerseys.

Not knocking either team but I have noticed that defense has kinda disappeared when the top schools play each other. Ole miss and Alabama was the first strong defensive effort I've seen so far unless I missed one

These QBs are so ahead of the defenses. I can go find 10 throws that simply just tore up the coverage. Completely perfect. Mett to Landry and Murray to Conley come to mind. You cant stop those kind of plays. But other than those 10ish throws it was putrid. And it seemed to all be between the ears for the defenses. Very odd stuff.

I think we all probably need to hope the dline and lb's continue to develop at this point. They got more pressure this past week and hopefully the switch just flips on for some of these guys. I would love to see Drew start becoming a force along with Mayes and some of the other guys. The secondary is just going to have to sink or swim. I think some of the problems in the secondary is that a lot of guys look confused at times as to where they need to line up and what they need to do, which is understandable with our young defense.

LSU has some very talented receivers and Mett was doing a very good job of hanging in the pocket and getting the ball out of his hands quickly. I'm not making excuses for Grantham or the defense, but they(lsu) played very well.

And were turnover free except for STs. That rarely happens in a CFB game.

They did play well and I guess I've been spoiled by a player stepping up year in and year out. Commings,Boykin,Rambo,and S.Williams weren't the highest recruits but performed. Branden Smith and Swann came with hype but all we see is the back of they're jerseys.

Boykin is one if my favorite Dawgs ever. Swann is meh.

our dline played great as did our lbs.. We held a team that loves to steam roll teams running the ball between the tackles in check for most of the game allowing just 2.1 yards per rush and 77 yards total on 36 carries. in fact both our oline and dline dominated for a lot of the game. we got 4 sacks on mett and got plenty of pressure. we clearly said if they are going to win mett is going to have to do it. as you said give lsu credit they have an nfl qb back there an nfl wideouts and rbs and a lot of oline talent so they were up for scoring. we played the toughest schedule in the nation against some awesome offenses and our young guys especially in the secondary had to go in with very little to no game experience and play up against some of the best talent in the nation. i lost track how many times we said "the offense is going to need to win games especially early this year" all offseason and it seems our fans want to ignore what we already knew heading into the year. this defense will improve and i saw improvement against the run bigtime. also it was great to see on lsu's final drive to try and win the game we put the pressure on and made some nice plays defensively to finish the game in that 4th qtr. the secondary is a work in progress. i saw better cb play (swann and langley both had some nice pass breakups), but the safeties were in the wrong place and that will improve.

The SEC as a whole has been disappointing with defense this year

Every top program had to replace a crazy number of the starters on defense. UGA for one has 14 freshmen or sophomores in the 2 deep, with just one senior... 2 returning starters, 3 if you want to consider Swann.

Every top program had to replace a crazy number of the starters on defense. UGA for one has 14 freshmen or sophomores in the 2 deep, with just one senior... 2 returning starters, 3 if you want to consider Swann.

Exactly!

A little perspective here... all those freshman were riding a yellow school bus 4-5 months ago and have had to face two NFL-ready QB's and Steve Spurrier with a Sr QB in their first four games. That is a baptism by fire of ever there was one! You guys were kidding yourselves if you thought they could just step in and pick right up where the Srs left off.

The bright sides are that 1)we have already faced our toughest offenses of the regular season, 2)they will get better and better, and most importantly 3) all of our goals are still doable.

Edited by frankly88

The wheel route and the short crossing route has whipped us his year but I'm loving how the D Line is looking as well as the LBs. Mayes has been a great surprise and JHC looks like he's finally shaken off the rust. Matthews still looks a step slow because of the injury but I was very impressed with the run d. Like a few of you have already said I just wish the D could get set a little quicker and I know there's a lot of freshman out there but this was a problem I noticed a lot last season as well.

My issue with the DBs is a simple one. We line up a CB in press coverage, then give them a free release off the line. You take that first TD to Boone. Swann is in press coverage and gives Boone a free release. If Damian had jammed him at the line, that MAY have give Quincy Mauger the extra split second he needed to turn his QB hurry on Mettenberger into a sack. Watch the play devvelop at the 21 min mark of the video

http://youtu.be/fT6wgchdY2M

The wheel route and the short crossing route has whipped us his year but I'm loving how the D Line is looking as well as the LBs. Mayes has been a great surprise and JHC looks like he's finally shaken off the rust. Matthews still looks a step slow because of the injury but I was very impressed with the run d. Like a few of you have already said I just wish the D could get set a little quicker and I know there's a lot of freshman out there but this was a problem I noticed a lot last season as well.

Taylor has played great as well on the d-line.. him and mayes have been great. bailey, garrison, and ray drew are really bringing it as well and so is toby. i have to say our dline is turning into a huge strength on this team and the lbs have been another bigtime strength. if our dbacks can continue to grow and get the signals down this defense by year end is going to be much tougher to score on. how we handled lsu's run game was something les miles just couldn't believe. he was frankly stunned how our dline dominated them and held them to 2.1 yards per carry. the good news is the secondary has faced the best offenses on our schedule so it was trial by fire for them. lol

I know our defense will be better by the end of the season. As some have said we just had to play 3/4 games against top 10 caliber offenses and 2 NFL caliber QBs, so it's hard to expect true freshmen to perform that well, that fast, especially at defensive back, which is one of the hardest positions for a freshman to get a grasp on immediately. Also, these kids are still learning the cover schemes, which is why there have been some missed assignments. Players like Alec Ogletree had the same problems but then he got it down and was solid after that.

Speaking of Alec Ogletree, in the last NFL Draft, there were 34ish defensive players (somewhere in the 30s) taken that were from the SEC, I'm pretty sure that's a record. 8 were taken in the first round. So a lot of defenses are doing some rebuilding and going through a learning curve this year in the SEC.