Rb Ingram Not Asking For A Trade But Are The Saints Regretting Moving Up To Get Him?

WhenFalconsWin

New Orleans Saints' Mark Ingram says he never requested, or wants, trade

Print10387582.pngBy Larry Holder, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

Follow on Twitter

on September 26, 2013 at 2:50 PM, updated September 26, 2013 at 4:43 PM

New Orleans Saints running back Mark Ingram said Thursday he doesn't know where the rumors of him possibly asking for a trade came from, and he doesn't want to be traded.

When asked specifically if he wanted to be traded, Ingram said, "No, you guys (media) came up with that. I don't know who came up with that. I've never said that at all. I never asked for it. Don't want it.

"Like I said, New Orleans is home. I love teammates, love my coaches, love this organization. I'm very grateful to be part of this organization. It's a class organization."

CBS Sports reported last Sunday Ingram could ask for a trade in the coming weeks. Saints coach Sean Payton told NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune on Sunday night the report was "completely false" and had "no credibility."

"Stuff comes from everywhere all of the time," Ingram said. "People speculate things, assume things that may not be true. That's OK. I know the truth and everybody in the organization knows the truth. Nothing like that ever came about. That's all that matters. The air is clear here."

Ingram reiterated he's happy in New Orleans.

"New Orleans is home to me," Ingram said. "I love the coaching staff. I love this organization. It's a very stable organization, a great locker room. New Orleans is home to me. I've loved it since Day 1."

Ingram missed his fourth consecutive practice Thursday with a toe injury. He missed all practices last week and sat out the Saints' 31-7 win over Arizona last Sunday.

While Ingram said he's happy in New Orleans, Ingram's on-field performance this year and during much of his three-year career with the Saints has many fans unhappy with the former Heisman Trophy winner.

Ingram has only tallied 31 rushing yards on 17 carries this season, a 1.8-yard average. Ingram averaged 3.9 yards per carry during his first two seasons and has been more noted for his shortfalls rather than his 10 rushing touchdowns in his Saints career.

"I can improve on everything," Ingram said. "There's always room for improvement. Just make sure I get my pads square to the line of scrimmage, making the right reads and making sure I'm doing everything I can from an execution standpoint and personal standpoint in getting myself better to help the team have better success out there."

Quarterback Drew Brees came to Ingram's defense last week when asked about the failed fourth-and-goal attempt in Week 2 at Tampa Bay. Brees also said blaming one player for the stagnant running game wasn't the correct assessment.

The Saints' run game struggled without Ingram last Sunday, despite the final total. New Orleans rushed only four times for minus-6 yards in the first half against Arizona. Pierre Thomas and Darren Sproles each popped off one run of more than 10 yards in the second half, but the two only combined for 45 yards.

Khiry Robinson padded the stats with his 38 yards on four carries late in the fourth quarter with the game out of reach as the Saints finished with 104 total yards on the ground.

"You know, I think we've just missed on a couple of big runs that would have probably really helped the average," Brees said. "If you're just looking at the average and the total and think, 'Ah, it's not where we want to be.' It's not a knock on the O-line. It's not a knock on the running backs. It's not a knock on the scheme. It just hasn't happened yet. I think what I can say is that we stuck with it.

"We've never been in a position in which we just abandoned it. We've continued to try to focus on that and let the guys know that we're going to be a good rushing football team. We're going to continue to hammer away at it. Listen, we've got the alignment. We've got the scheme. We've got the backs. So it's only a matter of time."

Ingram is aware of the criticism he's received from those outside the Saints' facility. He said it doesn't bother him.

"I don't worry about what people say. ... Everybody is entitled to their own opinion," Ingram said. "It doesn't matter to me. I know, and my teammates know, I come out here and work my butt off. My coaches know that I want to be the best player I can be to help this team. That's all that matters.

"Anybody else's opinions, things they say, it doesn't bother me. At all. Not one bit."

Ingram said he guesses some of the added criticism comes his way because people have high expectations for him being that he's a first-round pick and was a highly productive runner at Alabama.

He said he's frustrated more than anyone with his lack of success early this season. He also added being undefeated helps ease his frustrations.

"You want to do good and be productive, but we're winning," Ingram said. "Our team is 3-0. Essentially, that's awesome. We're 3-0, that's awesome. That's all that matters. As long as we keep winning, I'm cool with it.

"Like I said, I just do everything I can, personally all that I can to help us win. ... At the end of the day, we're 3-0. Of course we want to get this run game going, but that will come. We're working, we're getting better and we're 3-0."

xJimBrown_RaquelWelch_1.jpg,qitok=VTsqnVQA.pagespeed.ic._lIPQ78X7F.jpg

They are 3-0 inspite of your lack of production Mark, not because of it. When a team moves of to pick you they expect you to be a centerpiece, not an overpaid, loss of graft pick, mediocre RB. You need to start producing or you will either find yourself traded for nothing or outright released. When the move costs the team to draft you you want to produce, say like a Julio Jones, not a Mark Ingram!

They are 3-0 inspite of your lack of production Mark, not because of it. When a team moves of to pick you they expect you to be a centerpiece, not an overpaid, loss of graft pick, mediocre RB. You need to start producing or you will either find yourself traded for nothing or outright released. When the move costs the team to draft you you want to produce, say like a Julio Jones, not a Mark Ingram!

Ok, and? You're not exactly breaking new ground here

In hindsight, using the 2012 1st rounder in 2011 was the right move. Roger would've just taken it in 2012 if we still had it.

That part aside, his lack of production in his opportunities is hard to defend. His rookie season was alright. I was willing to buy the injury explanation in year two and that maybe coaching let the D key the run when he came on the field last year.

This is the year. No more excuses.

Ingrams issue is it seems he is waiting for holes to open up or trying to hard to break open a big run instead of lowering his head down and taking 3-5 yard. On the 4th down play vs Bucs, when he got to line, if he would have dived for TD I believe he gets it, instead he comes running in standing upright which allows him to get held up till help comes to push him out. I do partially blame Graham for making a bad effort of run blocking ahead of him on that play and could have helped push him in.

Regardless, the good power runners liked Ivory and what little we saw from a Khiry Robinson hit the line and get north / south right away and lean forward almost like they are falling forward so they are not just running with their strength, but have momentum also. The Robinson gif I posted where he levels Abraham and gets extra yards was all momentum and run style.

Bottom line, I see Ingram looking like he's trying to make runs Reggie Bush style, avoiding tackles and waiting for holes, but Bush also lost a ton of yards trying to do this and Ingram doesn't have Bush's speed. He's a power back and needs to run like one bulldozing over guys!

Ingrams issue is it seems he is waiting for holes to open up or trying to hard to break open a big run instead of lowering his head down and taking 3-5 yard. On the 4th down play vs Bucs, when he got to line, if he would have dived for TD I believe he gets it, instead he comes running in standing upright which allows him to get held up till help comes to push him out. I do partially blame Graham for making a bad effort of run blocking ahead of him on that play and could have helped push him in.

Regardless, the good power runners liked Ivory and what little we saw from a Khiry Robinson hit the line and get north / south right away and lean forward almost like they are falling forward so they are not just running with their strength, but have momentum also. The Robinson gif I posted where he levels Abraham and gets extra yards was all momentum and run style.

Bottom line, I see Ingram looking like he's trying to make runs Reggie Bush style, avoiding tackles and waiting for holes, but Bush also lost a ton of yards trying to do this and Ingram doesn't have Bush's speed. He's a power back and needs to run like one bulldozing over guys!

Ingram is a bust as a Saints fan I can admit that, dude has no vision what so ever. Can't hit a hole unless you could drive a truck through it, has no breakaway speed. Dude has been a total bust.

Yet we still get grief on the Julio Jones pick. Moving up to get a player should be a justified move in terms of that particular players play...But Hey Jack, WFW is just sayin'cool.png

They didn't give up half as much to get Ingram as ATL did to get Julio, and they still got an excellent first round pick that year in Cam Jordan. Now, I will say this, Julio has been worth the picks as far as his contribution to the team goes, where it hurts a little is the lack of quality depth. At this point it doesn't even matter cause both teams are where they're at and the past can't be changed.....................But hey just Sayin, know what I'm sayin

They didn't give up half as much to get Ingram as ATL did to get Julio, and they still got an excellent first round pick that year in Cam Jordan. Now, I will say this, Julio has been worth the picks as far as his contribution to the team goes, where it hurts a little is the lack of quality depth. At this point it doesn't even matter cause both teams are where they're at and the past can't be changed.....................But hey just Sayin, know what I'm sayin

Maybe its just WFW sayin' this but I'd skip depth anyday to get a perennial all pro WR (maybe one of the best) out of the deal and risk getting lucky with another late first and second rounder, and two 4ths for a game changer. Whereas the saints gave up something for practically nothing, There are not many game changers out there...But hey Jack, WFW is just sayin'

Yeah, hard to say we'd benefit from that extra pick right now, seeing as it was Goodell'd. Meanwhile in the ATL, JJ is beasting but it isn't getting them any traction in the W column, and the cost of those other 4 picks is unfortunately visible in their lack of depth. Trading for Ingram did absolutely nothing to our depth. It's almost like it's two completely different scenarios, or something.

Maybe its just WFW sayin' this but I'd skip depth anyday to get a perennial all pro WR (maybe one of the best) out of the deal and risk getting lucky with another late first and second rounder, and two 4ths for a game changer. Whereas the saints gave up something for practically nothing, There are not many game changers out there...But hey Jack, WFW is just sayin'

What the Saints loss in draft picks they make it up by having several UDFAs that are on the team and contributing. Also, with the rookie wage scale they could afford to take a chance in getting Ingram even with giving up the draft pick. If he would have beast it out there that would have been great, but they have enough quality RBs that Ingrams failures is not killing them. As far as Julio goes, you're right he is great and will probably get better, but when the team is lacking depth on the Oline and Dline it's only a matter of time before it catches up to them.

Edited by meezy0236

What the Saints loss in draft picks they make it up by having several UDFAs that are on the team and contributing. Also, with the rookie wage scale they could afford to take a chance in getting Ingram even with giving up the draft pick. If he would have beast it out there that would have been great, but they have enough quality RBs that Ingrams failures is not killing them. As far as Julio goes, you're right he is great and will probably get better, but when the team is lacking depth on the Oline and Dline it's only a matter of time before it catches up to them.

Same can be said for a team with a running game problem...But Hey Jack, WFw is just sayin'