Carolina's Front-7 On D Is Gonna Be Disruptive

Sandy5prings

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/50982/teams-that-passed-on-lotulelei-will-regret-it

NFL beat writers are catching on to this late, but the Panties' D is going to be a wrecking crew. Their secondary sucks but they look like they can get pressure at will up the middle and along the edges.

Of all the games this year, I'm really worried about our two games against sCam and the Panties. As it is, our D sucks against read option QBs. We should be able to throw at will against their DBs but given the number of hits and hurries our O-line has given up so far, it will be a huge mountain to climb against the likes of Lotulelei and Short.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing Godfrey for the season hurts but I think our secondary will continue to be serviceable with that front 7 in front of them. Mikell is a solid vet and the youngsters have stepped up. I like the physicality Mitchell brings and Thomas is solid despite giving up Seatles only big play of week 1. If we can continue to turn Cam loose and let him do his thing rather than harness him like weeks 1 and 2 we should be alright and fight for a wild card spot. Carolina needs to win the games it should and pull out a couple more wins against tougher opponents. I see us splitting with the NFCS. Our games against AZ, Minn, and StL will be telling as to where this team is and we should win at least 2 of those.

I like Mitchell, but he's gonna cost us some inevitable and costly flags with the way he plays. He seems like he literally wants to kill somebody when he goes for the hit.

But if the trade off is him putting the fear of God in opposing WRs and them looking over their shoulder for him then I guess I can somewhat live with. Dude lays the wood.

Guess that's the Raider in him.

If the Panthers played consistent football on the offensive side of the ball, averaging 24 points a game, they'd see the playoffs.

I know the average is close to that now, but plenty came in one game.

And the low scoring output came in 1 game as well, against the best defense in the league--Seattle. That secondary isn't something you want to push your luck against.

Palmer can't move, Cassel can't move, and Bradford is oblivious to pressure. We should be 3-0 over the next few weeks but I don't trust this coaching staff to have us prepared or actually manage the game and go for the jugular when we have a chance to close out a game. I have a lot more faith in the personnel on the field than I do in the guys on the sideline and in the box. Let Cam be Cam and play aggressive and we will continue to win.

Why is the offense such a problem when they have Cam Newton?

The offense hasn't been a problem. That Seattle game really skews our averages due to the game plan we went in with. We ran the ball all day and threw extremely short all game, completely taking their All-Star secondary out the equation... as a result our overall offensive production suffered, but it seemed to work until Deangelo fumbled at the 5-yard line at the end of the game. The offense has been fine in the other 2 games.

Without that fumble we're more than likely 2-1 right now. Even more so, without that BS penalty and completely blown assignment by Josh Norman we're 3-0 right now.

I'm failing to see where we're having offensive problems due to one game where we had a VERY obvious gameplan throughout the entire game. Seriously, 8 TDs in 3 games is a problem now? Look past the Seattle game people.

Edit: And even in that Seattle game we were moving the ball pretty well every time we had it. We only had like 3 offensive possessions the 2nd half, one of which ended with that D-Lo TO at the 5-yard line.

Edited by Ginn & Juice

I wouldn't say Rivera is a bad coach. He has the players respect and they play hard every week for him. He is decent for 3.5 quarters but when the game is on the line and we have a chance to close it out, he elects to play it safe and give the other team a chance to come back and they usually do. Against the Bills we had a 4th and 1 on their 20-30 yard line with a minute to go up by 3. Call a QB keep with Cam we win. He elects to kick a FG and we go up 6 when they need a touchdown to win regardless. I'm sick of playing not to lose especially when you have a QB who is extremely efficient in converting short yardage over his career.

I think our only real problem on offense is finding a balance with the play calling. Week 1 was ultra conservative against Seattle and week 2 we went out firing shots downfield and got away from just consistently moving the chains. Thankfully Shula seemed to learn week 3 and allowed Cam to run for first downs and had some designed keepers for him. It was stupid to force Cam to be strictly a pocket passer when his running ability is what makes him lethal and that much more difficult to defend. I'm glad we aren't going overboard with the read option this season and that we have sprinkled it in here and there but balance is key for any offense and we only really had it going week 3. Let's hope it continues.

Edited by LightsCameronAction

I think our only real problem on offense is finding a balance with the play calling. Week 1 was ultra conservative against Seattle and week 2 we went out firing shots downfield and got away from just consistently moving the chains. Thankfully Shula seemed to learn week 3 and allowed Cam to run for first downs and had some designed keepers for him. It was stupid to force Cam to be strictly a pocket passer when his running ability is what makes him lethal and that much more difficult to defend. I'm glad we aren't going overboard with the read option this season and that we have sprinkled it in here and there but balance is key for any offense and we only really had it going week 3. Let's hope it continues.

Agree completely. They were waaay too ******* conservative against Seattle, though I understand the reasoning behind it... that secondary will really make you pay if they get the chance. Even still it made me a little sick watching them have Cam play as a game manager.

Week 3 they finally seemed to bust out a bit of that 2011 playbook. Let Cam put the fear of the run in you himself, which opened up Deangelo... then hit 'em with a deep bomb.

DeAngelo has been quietly putting together a strong season but his running style drives me crazy. It seems he gets stuffed for a yard or two for a couple series' and then busts out some 20 yarders and packs his stat sheet. Excited to see what we have in Barner and wondering if Stew comes back strong and can pound the rock like he always has. I wish Tolbert had split carries with DWill the first three weeks. He's great at receiving out of the backfield and always seems to convert on short yardage.