John Constantine Headed To Nbc

Shotty Nice

Comics are now taking over the small screen, it seems.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=109479

Following news earlier this week that Fox has a Batman-inspired "Gotham" television series in the works comes word, via The Hollywood Reporter, that DC Comics' John Constantine is also headed to the small screen. David S. Goyer (Batman Begins, Man of Steel) and Daniel Cerone ("The Mentalist") will provide the script for an NBC pilot, "Constantine."

Created by Alan Moore, John Constantine, a roguish magician/detective/conman, first appeared during the author's run on "Swamp Thing" in 1985, receiving his own series, "Hellblazer," under DC's Vertigo imprint in 1988. That book ran for 300 issues before it was relaunched in DC's "New 52" continuity as "Constantine" with a younger take on the antihero. It appears that the new series will serve as the primary basis for the pilot.

The Constantine character was also brought to the big screen with a 2005 film directed by Francis Lawrence and starring Keanu Reeves. Earlier this year, Guillermo del Toro confirmed that he was working on a script based on DC's "Justice League Dark" (tentatively titled Dark Universe), that would include John Constantine as a character. As to how that film winds up being affected by these new television plans remains to be seen.

I dunno, Hellblazer was one of those comics that was really popular but I never read. It appears that he has now been assimilated into regular DC Comics continuity with the New 52 company reboot. The only thing I know about him is the movie you referenced, which I really liked as well and have eagerly anticipated a sequel to for years. One of the coolest cameos in movie history is Peter Stormare as Lucifer.

Edited by Icarus

Yeah apparently there is a deleted scene of him walking through a field of burning tar on his way to Earth, which is why a lot of people were confused with that aspect.

Now that Constantine is officially a part of the DC Universe, it'll be interesting to see if he pops up as a side character to any one of the movies and tv shows they're about to make first before going on to do his own thing.

From the art of John Constantine I have seen, I'd say that Stephen Dorff is a pretty good candidate to play him.

JohnConstantine.jpg

082012-celebs-blade-movie-stephen-dorff.jpg

Edited by Icarus