Roddy Still Not Where He Wants To Be, But Will Be Playing Again On Sunday

ya_boi_j

When Falcons wide receiver Roddy White initially hurt his ankle in August, the Falcons said that he had not suffered the dreaded high ankle sprain that has kept many a player from being in the lineup.

White later admitted that it was that type of injury, although his play on the field through the first three weeks would have made it clear that this is a fairly severe sprain. White has been mostly a decoy through the first three games, playing a reduced number of snaps and seeing a drop in his targets as well. 

Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com reports that White said Friday that he still isn’t where he wants to be in his recovery from the injury, but will once again “gut it out” against the Patriots on Sunday night. McClure adds that White also said that he’ll rest up during the team’s bye week, which comes after they host the Jets in Week Five. 

White’s limited effectiveness hasn’t appeared to hurt his ability to concern defenses as Julio Jones leads the NFL in receiving yards to this point in the season. Still, it will be a good day for the Falcons offense when White returns to full speed and makes them even more difficult to stop. 

Personally I think it's selfishness from the player and coach. Roddy doesn't wanna break a streak yet at the same time he wants to help the team at all cost.

Coach Smith is so desperate for success he won't show any trust in any of the young guys on the bench. Coach gets the final say so on who plays and who doesn't. Having him as a decoy is good and all at particular points of the game but if you got someone else that's fully healthy, show a little trust and get that man some targets and see what happens.

Personally I think it's selfishness from the player and coach. Roddy doesn't wanna break a streak yet at the same time he wants to help the team at all cost.

Coach Smith is so desperate for success he won't show any trust in any of the young guys on the bench. Coach gets the final say so on who plays and who doesn't. Having him as a decoy is good and all at particular points of the game but if you got someone else that's fully healthy, show a little trust and get that man some targets and see what happens.

He doesn't really get the say so. We don't know the language in the players contracts concerning playing if injured but medically cleared to play. Some players have these clauses added. They will talk with the players and see if they want to go or not but it's hard to sit a player that at least wants to give it a go. If it were college or high school the coach wins everytime. With Roddy it's more than just about a streak. He's a warrior and his mentality is that of one. Especially being a wrestler, he's been playing thru pain his whole athletic career. Like Brett favre. If he could go no way he was gonna sit.

Edited by TheFatboi

Starting and finishing are mutually exclusive... At this rate Roddy will never get to 100% healthy this season.

Start him 1 play then make him sit until he is completely ready to go. For all we know there could be someone waiting in the wings ready to catch fire.

Edited by Common Sense

It's something they feel grave digger because "we" the fans are a selfish mob. That selfish word is a double edge sword. When I played I played hurt and streak was never on my mind. I never missed a game due to injury thru high school and college but played hurt. Streak never came to mind. I loved the game of football and wanted to be on the field. The beat example I can come up with about player coaches is the hof running back Curtis Martin said he was hurt and wanted to rest. Bill Parcels told him to get healthy but just remember, you never know who's going in the huddle. That right there taught martin to play thru pain and we the fans never knew the difference. It's not just streak. It's the guy coming in to replace you too. This is your job, your career. Some of us feel the same way on out jobs. The guy behind me will not take my spot. I know I'm like that I'm my business.

Edited by TheFatboi

Starting and finishing are mutually exclusive... At this rate Roddy will never get to 100% healthy this season.

Start him 1 play then make him sit until he is completely ready to go. For all we know there could be someone waiting in the wings ready to catch fire.

Roddy has never played a 100% healthy season. He's always had a knee issue every year.

Edited by TheFatboi

When Falcons wide receiver Roddy White initially hurt his ankle in August, the Falcons said that he had not suffered the dreaded high ankle sprain that has kept many a player from being in the lineup.

White later admitted that it was that type of injury, although his play on the field through the first three weeks would have made it clear that this is a fairly severe sprain. White has been mostly a decoy through the first three games, playing a reduced number of snaps and seeing a drop in his targets as well.

Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com reports that White said Friday that he still isn't where he wants to be in his recovery from the injury, but will once again "gut it out" against the Patriots on Sunday night. McClure adds that White also said that he'll rest up during the team's bye week, which comes after they host the Jets in Week Five.

White's limited effectiveness hasn't appeared to hurt his ability to concern defenses as Julio Jones leads the NFL in receiving yards to this point in the season. Still, it will be a good day for the Falcons offense when White returns to full speed and makes them even more difficult to stop.

HASHBROWN3 ain't gonna like this worth a dam. Trust me.

Let me re phrase..... 100% healthy within reason. His initial burst is something I've noticed has fallen off due to injury.

To be Honest, Nobody in the NFL is 100% after game one. Or even Training Camp in some cases !

So true. I can see him improving each week tho so he's getting better. We'll see a different roddy after the bye week.