Time To Ditch Dent And Nix Nicholas?

PokerSteve

Bartu has already cracked the line-up in a big way. Worrilow has gotten some reps, but clearly Dent has continued to be Smitty's Anointed One, despite his monumentally epic suckage in coverage. If he was the Falcon's only option, there would be nothing Smitty or Nolan could do but grin and bear the pain of watching him cough up one big play after another. But that's not the case and it's past time for the HC and DC to acknowledge reality and relegate Dent and Nicholas to the bench. Worrilow is a sure tackler and he is a better coverage LB than Dent. Which is pretty easy to check, for apparently Dent is rated as the worst coverage LB in the NFL, according to B/R.

After watching Dent for the past couple of years, I agree with the article. It's time to cut Dent and Nicholas, they have no future. Let Bartu and Worrilow take over. They're the future, and they already have shown they also need to be full-time players in the here and now. What's your opinion? Are you a Dent devotee? A Nicholas adherent?

Here's the link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1783944-joplo-bartu-and-paul-worrilow-starting-will-make-atlanta-have-a-better-defense?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=atlanta-falcons

Dent should be used differently. He is not good in coverage but plays the run well and is pretty good at blitzing the QB. I'd move him outside and let him rush most of his snaps. Use Spoon/Bartu/Worrilow cover the middle and other outside position(s). Nicholas just cannot stay healthy.

Dent reminds me of Brooking in his last years making tackles after the running back gained 7 yards

We seem to have a number of reserve caliber players starting.......but at least we got Julio!!!

I wonder if other teams have reserve caliber players starting....

Oh wait. They do? Nevermind....

New England's WRs, Baltimore's secondary and passing attack, Seattle's wide receivers, San Francisco's secondary and wide receivers, Green Bay's secondary and offensive line, Cleveland's entire team, Cincinnati's linebackers, New Orlean's running backs and linebackers....etc.

I wonder if other teams have reserve caliber players starting....

Oh wait. They do? Nevermind....

New England's WRs, Baltimore's secondary and passing attack, Seattle's wide receivers, San Francisco's secondary and wide receivers, Green Bay's secondary and offensive line, Cleveland's entire team, Cincinnati's linebackers, New Orlean's running backs and linebackers....etc.

laugh.png and how true it is.

Nich's already been benched by Bartu. And Dent is possibly our best run defender, I like having him in there. Just no more matchups on speedy receivers please.

I bet Brady and Belichick are licking their chops looking at tape of Dent in pass coverage. I don't think Worrilow represents any big drop-off in run defense and he's way better in coverage ~ advantage, Worrilow.

I bet Brady and Belichick are licking their chops looking at tape of Dent in pass coverage. I don't think Worrilow represents any big drop-off in run defense and he's way better in coverage ~ advantage, Worrilow.

except for the last drive against the Dolphins, where they drove down the field at will. then Nicholas gets put in when they get to the one & gets the blame for the TD

Bartu was garbage on last drive. With spoon out, I am not sure what else Nolan can do.

Is he a undrafted free agent rookie ? Yes... Will he make mistakes as do YOU me and anyone else ? Yes....

Is he more athletic then Nic and Dent ? Yes..... Does Bartu play the pass better than Nic and Dent ? Yes.....

It's obivious what Nolan should do !

I think they would be if Gronk was healthy. As it stands now, they're not throwing to the TE. So they're not really built to threaten teams in the middle of the field by getting mismatches. They're relying more on their young WRs winning battles outside. I think thats something we can handle.

I think they would be if Gronk was healthy. As it stands now, they're not throwing to the TE. So they're not really built to threaten teams in the middle of the field by getting mismatches. They're relying more on their young WRs winning battles outside. I think thats something we can handle.

Though they may not have been throwing to the TE, I can't imagine Belichick and Brady just ignoring our obvious weakness in covering TE's. As for their WR's getting shut down by our corners, I think they'll hang tough, but I don't think they can possibly pitch a shut-out against the Pats WR's, or any other teams either. Very doubtful our defense would be any more successful trying to stop a game-winning scoring drive vs the Pats than we did vs the Dolphins. This team clearly plays worse as the game wears on, so I can't share your confidence, but I can admire your optimism.

Is he a undrafted free agent rookie ? Yes... Will he make mistakes as do YOU me and anyone else ? Yes....

Is he more athletic then Nic and Dent ? Yes..... Does Bartu play the pass better than Nic and Dent ? Yes.....

It's obivious what Nolan should do !

We don't know how good Bartu is yet. He played like crap last week. I do hope he and Worrilow turn out great so Falcons can draft the DT and other positions.