Falcons Want To Add Threat Of The Deep Pass

CEO_PARLAY

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-falcons/2013/sep/27/falcons-want-add-threat-deep-pass/

FLOWERY BRANCH – The Falcons, in part because of leaky pass protection, have relied heavily on their short passing game early in 2013.

But offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter wants to start launching some bombs. He knows that teams, perhaps starting with New England on Sunday, will start jumping all of those short routes.

For instance, Julio Jones is going start getting pummeled on all of those screens if the threat of the deep pass in not present.

“We need to have more vertical shots in our game,” Koetter said. “That’s something that we are probably lacking right now. We just have to get more of an element of the vertical game.”

In addition to pass-protection issues, wide receiver Roddy White has been hobbled by his high ankle sprain.

“There are multiple factors in there that I’m not going to get into,” Koetter said. “There is more than one reason, but you are not scaring the defense if you’re not threatening vertically, that’s for sure.”

According to NFL statistics, Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan ranks 30th in average pass length (including incomplete passes) at 6.14 yards and 32nd in the average length his passes travel in the air before completions (4.56).

According to Pro Football Focus, just 38.5 percent of Ryan’s 909 passing yards come before the catch. That’s the lowest percentage in the league.

The Falcons’ offensive line is still developing. They could get a boost with the possible return of Sam Baker at left tackle. It will be interesting to see if the Falcons stay with Jeremy Trueblood at right tackle or if they go back to the struggling Lamar Holmes.

The second-player could probably benefit for taking a step back and watching for awhile.

Pat Hill, one of the Falcons’ offensive line coaches, along with Paul Dunn, worked with New England coach Bill Belichick during his Cleveland head-coaching stint.

“Pat is an excellent coach,” Belichick said. “He does a great job. He’s a good fundamental teacher. He has a great way of motivating his players. He works them hard. Everybody loves him. He’s a guy that has a real upbeat and positive energy.”

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I admire the thought but it is probably best to do what we can to hide the pass protection issue.

I like the fact that our coaching staff is adjusting on the fly to what really is a series of horrid injuries at key positions. I just don't think their is much we can do. I think we should do whatever it takes to keep Ryan healthy and that probably means not a lot of deep passes where he has to hold the ball more than 2 seconds.

With a real FB and SJ even with a leaky oline we could have enough balance to throw down field more

Edited by MAD597

the Falcons can throw all the deep passes they want to, all they gotta do is line up and do it. quit babying the linemen and tell them to man up & punch their guy in the mouth. it's expected that they should struggle a few games so you gotta sling the rock on early downs & not wait til the game is on the line when defenders can just pin their ears back and attack. get them accustomed to blocking 5 & 7 step drops without the pressure of the game being on the line. plus Ryan has missed a few opportunities to go deep too so it's not all on the line

Wow this sounds awfully familiar to what I've been saying. But that can't be right, because doyouseewhathappenslarry tells me over and over again I have no clue what I am talking about.

Actually no, everyone agrees that are deep passing game has been lacking. The difference here is all the honest people understood the issue was with our starting tackles unable to give Matt Time needed for deep passing routes to develop.

You on the oher hand concluded like most trolls its because our franchise QB is a checkdown man.

You are not only dishonest you are pretty much the perfect example of everything wrong with a message board.

You are !BpmNj0g!mk~$(KGrHqYOKjoEuZqIE765BLsCWHpiKw~~_35.JPG here to ruin any productive conversation and should really drink a nice warm glass of shut the f up troll and go back to your Joe Flacco Shrine.

But Ryan has never been a deep passer. This isn't unique to 2013. It is just even worse this year than it normally is.

It is weird he passed deep most in his rookie season. Weird. Almost like...his deep passes haven't been trusted for 4 going on 5 years now.

Edited by bt12483

There have been some times where there has been enough time in the pocket. I wonder what kind of looks they're getting from the defense though. Roddy being gimpy and continuing to run short routes changes everything. That allows the D to focus on giving help to whoever is covering Julio and while Harry is quick he's never really been a deep threat.

Matt Stafford has had a bad OL and one WR for years. Never stopped DET from going deep.

dammit, now I gotta agree with you. that's what I been saying all along. our coaches baby linemen instead of making them man up. Aaron Rodgers has also had some very weak lines and no running game, dude has even been concussed because of his O-line but he told his coach to chill with the max protection and give him more targets. they gave him 2 hots and a deep and if he had time, bombs away

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-falcons/2013/sep/27/falcons-want-add-threat-deep-pass/

According to NFL statistics, Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan ranks 30th in average pass length (including incomplete passes) at 6.14 yards and 32nd in the average length his passes travel in the air before completions (4.56).

According to Pro Football Focus, just 38.5 percent of Ryan’s 909 passing yards come before the catch. That’s the lowest percentage in the league.

this is like Alex smith level passing. Even worse if Ryan is actually 32nd.

But hey his completion rate is 70%! Awesome. Must be really hard throwing short passes to Julio Jones. Sounds tough.