Why Peters, Jerry And Babs Roles Are Important Against Pats

gazoo

First of all, many here seemed terrified we are playing the Patriots and Tom Brady. Don’t forget that the Patriots* haven’t won s**t since they were forced to stop cheating.

The 2013 Pats have squeaked out a couple of AFC East wins without looking like a good team. Both the Bills and Jets pushed the middle of their DLines into Brady’s feet, and when Brady can’t step forward into his throws he’s ineffective. You can watch how he sets up if you watch any game. He basically is a tall, long armed immobile QB who steps up and then throws a ball that on average is behind/at/just over the line and he prefers to throw it downwards from an almost tomahawk chop kind of motion. That’s why he has thrived with Welker/Edelman/Amendola type guys, because he’s throwing over the line of scrimmage but normally down towards these little guys, reducing any chance of INTs. Not so this year. He’s in trouble if you just push up into his feet and keep him from stepping into throws. Their offense is timed so that you are not likely to sack him before he throws, but pushing the pocket up on his feet is just as good as a sack on passing downs. Jerry, Babs and Peters need to just keep doing what they've been doing all season and push the pocket and Brady will have a rough game. Falcons Win this one my feathered friends.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it. Good observations, Gaz. Ain't afraid of the Brady Bunch. Well, not too much. And I think the match-up between his rookie receivers vs. our rookie corners will be fun to watch as well.

We need this game, sho' 'nuff. 1-3 wouldn't necessarily be the end of the world, but it would be a tough hole to climb out of. We need to be 5-3 at the halfway mark at worst. That's when the Hawks come to town and the schedule gets tougher.

I have a serious problem with the "they havent won **** since they got caught 'cheating'" opinion....given that they've won 60 games since Spygate and been in two Super Bowls and 2 other AFC Championship games. Of course, I think "spygate" was the stupidest controversy in modern NFL history given how prevalant that sort of behavior is among coaches, but whatever.

Your gameplanning observations are sound. Brady struggles with one thing....situations when pressure comes from center. Now, he's still an elite pocket movement QB and he's still fantastic at buying himself time and avoiding sacks. But IF you're going to force him into mistakes, its generally by collapsing the pocket inward, forcing him to "climb" laterally.

They havent figured out the kinks quite yet. Brady and his receivers aren't seeing the same things on option routes and the rookies arent making the grabs they need to. Defensively, they've struggled a little bit against the run but have been better against the pass.

This game is a 50/50 situation. Its very winnable for us. We have the skill players to push their defense deep (something they havent had to deal with yet this year) and a competent enough run game to keep them honest along the front. We NEED to get pressure up the middle, so I'd expect to see Bartu and/or Worrilow used on delayed blitzes up the gut. Our CBs should be able to match up well against their rookie receivers.

Great observation , never really realized Brady whole throwing motion and his love for smaller Slot receivers. Mayne that makes sense for the lack of picks and sacks. Alford may shine this week of he plays than....

On the Spygate stuff I agree they have been winning in reg season but come playoffs they,aren't so great. Everyone is so quick to point out Brady Rings and claim he is the best but the reason they won those super Bowls was mainly cuz of that defense.

Wilfork up front

Vrabel,bruschi,Mcginest at LB

Then their was Law,Asante,Milloy,Harrison as your secondary.

if you ask,me that's one h*ll of a defense.

interesting how many of the same people who claim Ryan/Smitty/Falcons haven't won s*** since They arrived , herald the Patriots and Tom Brady as a terrifying prossince even since they got busted.

Brady lost his great defense that won him those bowl games, Ryan has never had a great defense to help him out.

Personally I don't rate that secondary of the Patriots at all.

If our o-line gives Ryan a decent amount of time to throw the ball even with a hobbled Roddy and a slowed down TG I think we can rip them a new one.

I like the chances of our Rook DB's against there Rook WRer's.

We stop the run here I see us winning this game handily.

Brady lost his great defense that won him those bowl games, Ryan has never had a great defense to help him out.

Yep, it can be the difference maker between making the playoffs and winning in the playoffs. You virtually HAVE to have a defense if you want to compete at the playoffs level. Sure, there are rare exceptions, but they are far and few between.

The problem too often with the Falcons is pressure, from anywhere.

We got to Tannehill last week because 9/10ths of the game he had a deer in the headlights look when pressured, then seemingly forgot all about that in the last drive.

I think Babs and Peters are good players...but for years getting consistent pressure from any position minus Abe has been a problem.

This Patriots team isn't as strong as their record. They are a good team, but their 3-0 is against two rookie QBs and a trash QB that's been benched already. They won their first two games by a combined 5 points against the Jets and Bills. We are the best team by far they will see. It's going to be fun to see how Nolan can confuse Brady and his weapons. Doubt Gronk is going to play much of a factor and think Amendola will get hurt in warm ups. If Trufant and Alford can shut down their assignments, our defense will be in a good position to win.

Another point that the media will never bring up is the fact that the Patriots are averaging under 20 PPG. 11 teams average under 20 points right now. The Jets are the only other team above .500 in that group. Mind you, they are currently tied for 2nd in points allowed and I'm willing to bet the house they are going to bring that up and say we have a "tough match up with this defense", ignoring the QBs and offenses they have played. Buffalo is 20th in PPG, Jets are 26th and the Bucs are 31st.

Ya know whats sad...the last time we had 2 players on the team in the same season have just 6 or more sacks was 2005.

8 seasons now....

But remember Nolan would rather have ten guys with four sacks than four guys with ten sacks.

The problem is he only had two guys with four sacks last year and neither of them will be suiting up for us.

But remember Nolan would rather have ten guys with four sacks than four guys with ten sacks.

The problem is he only had two guys with four sacks last year and neither of them will be suiting up for us.

I honestly think that now we are using Bartu and Worrilow, we will see Spoon blitzing more when he gets back since they are better at coverage than he is. At this rate though, we will again struggle to see 30 sacks. Can't get them when you don't draft players who can get them.

The thing about the Patriots is that they are probably the best at overcoming their weakness. I dont care what their record is, they are always dangerous.

And for the record, Babs,Jerry,and Peters always have critical roles in the defense's success. They just fail at fulfilling their roles the majority of the time.

Great observation , never really realized Brady whole throwing motion and his love for smaller Slot receivers. Mayne that makes sense for the lack of picks and sacks. Alford may shine this week of he plays than....

On the Spygate stuff I agree they have been winning in reg season but come playoffs they,aren't so great. Everyone is so quick to point out Brady Rings and claim he is the best but the reason they won those super Bowls was mainly cuz of that defense.

Wilfork up front

Vrabel,bruschi,Mcginest at LB

Then their was Law,Asante,Milloy,Harrison as your secondary.

if you ask,me that's one h*ll of a defense.

In 2011 he got back to the Superbowl with a 31st ranked defense and almost won the game if Wes Welker had not made that HUGE drop. When it comes down to it, he made more than his share of plays during those Superbowl wins to put his team in position to win. He didn't have the 85 bears defense, 2005 bears defense or 2000 Ravens defense where all you had to do is manage the game and win. No, he had a very good defense but he had to play well himself to win. And what people don't understand well I think they do is that he has no decline in his game. He is the same Tom Brady that he was in 2011, just different surroundings. But the constant thing is that is he is still Tom Brady, they still have Bill Belichick, and a wonderful staff that's great at bringing up young players to speed and developing them. And the wide receiver masterful coach Brian Daboll is back and working with these guys. The same guy that polished and tweaked Troy Brown and David Patten's skills and developed and groom a young Deion Branch and David Givens. Each week, you can see the progress in both Dobson and Thompkins as I'm sure after doing well against a sharp Tampa Bay secondary, they will be ready to take that next step in this contest.

Another point that the media will never bring up is the fact that the Patriots are averaging under 20 PPG. 11 teams average under 20 points right now. The Jets are the only other team above .500 in that group. Mind you, they are currently tied for 2nd in points allowed and I'm willing to bet the house they are going to bring that up and say we have a "tough match up with this defense", ignoring the QBs and offenses they have played. Buffalo is 20th in PPG, Jets are 26th and the Bucs are 31st.

The defense you see now is a result of what Bill Belichick has been building up the last couple of years mainly through the draft. Its finally a finished product and they have playmakers all over the field at each position. And that linebacking corps according to many analyst, coaches and players is second to none with the exception of San Fransico. I truly believe that their defense is rightfully so, closely behind Seattle. They're the real deal this season. Don'ta Hightower, Jerod Mayo, Jamie Collins, Brandon Spikes in the middle, Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly up front, Ninkovich and Jones on the edges and Aqib Talib and Alfonzo Dennard outside with Devin McCourty patrolling the middle at safety you've got to be kidding me. They are very similar to the Seattle defense IMO as far is talent, versatility and athleticism at each level.

The thing about the Patriots is that they are probably the best at overcoming their weakness. I dont care what their record is, they are always dangerous.

And for the record, Babs,Jerry,and Peters always have critical roles in the defense's success. They just fail at fulfilling their roles the majority of the time.

Yes, they are the best I've EVER seen at overcoming weaknesses