Falcons Can't Defend The Slot. Why?

falcndave

Biggest reason is that Bobbie Mac, Decoud and Dent have all struggled mightily in coverage...

Alford needs to go in for BMac,

Bartu/Worrilow need to be in on passing downs,

Decoud needs to dig a hole and hide there during the games...

PS I am not surprised to see that, as you can plainly see that these 3 are having a rough year in pass coverage...

I think we'll be a lot better off once Asante is back and 100%.

I usually agree with you but I dont think that has anything to do with it.

Its definitely a target on Mcclain, the LBs, and Decoud.

Why we keep putting Decoud and the LBs in coverage there Im not sure. I can understand offenses scheming against the LBs to put them in that position but we keep depending on Decoud to cover WRs and it aint working.

According to this Love/Hate fantasy article by Matthew Berry, the Falcons have allowed more yards and receptions to slot receivers than any team in football.

(The quote is near the bottom where he says "Love" Edelman in the WR section)

Anyone surprised by that?

How do we fix that with our personnel?

4 words. Akeem. Dent. Thomas. DeCoud

I think we'll be a lot better off once Asante is back and 100%.

I thought he was great in Miami. He held Wallace to what 2 catches?

4 words. Akeem. Dent. Thomas. DeCoud

That 3rd and 2 play on the last drive where Miami spread 4 wide drove me mad. We have 3 DB's in press coverage and a safety is 10 yards off the slot. DeCoud...C'mon man! Even Ryan Tannehill can make that read. 1st down Dolphins. I was watching at a sports bar with the sound on another game and I still spotted the goof pre-snap.

Why am I still irritated about that...

Its also because the defense has been terrible this year. The least amount of points allowed by them is 23 and then they let the Rams offense that is getting killed tonight put up 24. Face it guys this just might not be the year.

3 games in and you say that? its not like were getting blown out a few simple catches and we could be 3-0.

Isn't surprising to me at all. Very few passes have been caught against Trufant this season. A few late against Miami. Assante allowed basically nothing last week though I think Wallace was playing the Roddy White role for Miami. Also Alford has been solid on the outside when playing.

However everything is caught against the LBs, Decoud, and McClain. It was a problem last season, and seems worst this year. Coaching needs to do a better job of getting Dent off the field. Decoud needs to play back because he can't cover in man nor tackle. We got 4 good CBs, start playing more Dime so that Dent/Decoud aren't matched up on receivers.

I know Dent gets put in those situations because teams are taking TEs/RBs and splitting them wide, so it isn't really 4 wide sets but he needs to be off the field.

Its also because the defense has been terrible this year. The least amount of points allowed by them is 23 and then they let the Rams offense that is getting killed tonight put up 24. Face it guys this just might not be the year.

yeah or it could be that the rams lost just as many players in our game as we did.

This coaching staff IGNORES huge gaping obvious problems until Arthur gets upset and then they fire a coordinator or 2. The regime has done that for the entire time they have been here and you have to ask why. Smith can always quote some stat to cover something like " its not that bad we are 12 in the league in this" But says nothing when we are last in the league in slot defence, and worse yet doesn't do anything. You cant tell me they haven't watched miles of tape on puzzy DeCoud and should be able to see that he is a total joke out there...try something else , get someone who is hungry that isn't scared of contact, cant be any worse. They just seem to stick with all of these problem area's far too long.

Biggest reason is that Bobbie Mac, Decoud and Dent have all struggled mightily in coverage...

Alford needs to go in for BMac,

Bartu/Worrilow need to be in on passing downs,

Decoud needs to dig a hole and hide there during the games...

PS I am not surprised to see that, as you can plainly see that these 3 are having a rough year in pass coverage...

I've been saying this since NFCCG and the Stains game re enforced.....

It's a major point of emphasis for me when re examining these winnable Defeats. You are correct Sir !