Phone Recommendations?

Ethos

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I have LG Spectrum which we both love....but our son has the Samsung Galaxy S4 and it is just as nice and it seems to be the android that everyone is gravitating towards.

My daughter has an iPhone 4s and the major complaint that I have with it is that tons of apps that I have downloaded for free on Google Play for my Spectrum cost money for her to download from itunes app store.

So...in closing....if I had it all to do over...we would all have the Samsung.

Edited by Flip Wilson

iPhone 5s is a great phone and I plan on getting one, but it is an S model, so it is not anything amazing. It also has only a 4in display, which is small to some.

Galaxy S4 is also a good phone, but it does have a sub par camera. And has a cheap feel.

It is going to come down to what you care about more. Ease of use vs customizablity. Do you care about all day batter life? Do you care to have the most upto date software? How connected are you to the google ecosystem. Screen size importance.

I also think the carrier you choose has an effect as well.

Hard to explain, it just does everything the iphone does but does it better. One example is the "Planets" app on iphone (and the Galaxy S4) which is just a bazillion times cooler on the S4 because you can point around at the sky and see constellations, planets, etc... There are many other examples but that's the first that comes to mind.

Augmented Reality is more about app than actual phone. Any android phone could take advantage of that. My old Mytouch could do augmented reality.

I would not agree that it is a solid argument for a phone. HTC One can do that and has a better camera and build quality.

Galaxy S4 is also a good phone, but it does have a sub par camera. And has a cheap feel.

not to start an argument but there is nothing sub part about the camera on the phone. There are plenty of things you can do with it and the 13 megapixels allow you to take beautiful pictures in the dark and of course outside.

You're right about it having a cheap feel but you can't expect much with a plastic body.

Start looking at prices of Andriod phones vs Iphones I don't know if you care about price but because there is so much competition now there are usually a really good phone on a good deal.

Our prices are not the same as you. Our system is based on contract subsidy model. Most of the price of the phone is baked into the price of service. This causes most phones to be the same price.

Augmented Reality is more about app than actual phone. Any android phone could take advantage of that. My old Mytouch could do augmented reality.

I would not agree that it is a solid argument for a phone. HTC One can do that and has a better camera and build quality.

I would agree that the Samsung has a very light "cheap" feel to it. The LG Spectrum is really solidly built.....but I kind of feel like all phones are vulnerable without a good case and the Samsung is what everyone is moving to...so there are a ton of good cases (cheaper I might add) available for the Samsung.

I would agree that the Samsung has a very light "cheap" feel to it. The LG Spectrum is really solidly built.....but I kind of feel like all phones are vulnerable without a good case and the Samsung is what everyone is moving to...so there are a ton of good cases (cheaper I might add) available for the Samsung.

I got a Chinese made otter box with the built in screen saver for $10 on eBay. There are several ways to get around the feel as you said

My wife just got a Samsung S4 and it is superior to the iphone in every way (I have an iphone).

Yeah I was reading a top ten list and the galaxy was rated #1 followed by the HTC then Iphone 5s. Iunno that fingerprint scanner is so tempting it'd make me feel like a secret service agent. laugh.png

iPhone 5s is a great phone and I plan on getting one, but it is an S model, so it is not anything amazing. It also has only a 4in display, which is small to some.

It is going to come down to what you care about more. Ease of use vs customizablity. Do you care about all day batter life? Do you care to have the most upto date software? How connected are you to the google ecosystem. Screen size importance.

I also think the carrier you choose has an effect as well.

Honestly, i'm not too tech savy. 50% of my purchase comes down to appearance and the other half specs/features. I have heard that the Iphone 5s batterly life isn't all as improved as Apple made it out to be though and the screen size isn't an issue because my previous phone's size was smaller. But I think your right about ease of use and I like the Iphone's simplicity.

Yeah I was reading a top ten list and the galaxy was rated #1 followed by the HTC then Iphone 5s. Iunno that fingerprint scanner is so tempting it'd make me feel like a secret service agent. laugh.png

Honestly, i'm not too tech savy. 50% of my purchase comes down to appearance and the other half specs/features. I have heard that the Iphone 5s batterly life isn't all as improved as Apple made it out to be though and the screen size isn't an issue because my previous phone's size was smaller. But I think your right about ease of use and I like the Iphone's simplicity.

that fingerprint crap is just that. I saw a YouTube video where a guy used a cats paw to unlock the phone. That was wasted tech imo. I originally thought that it would be a security feat

not to start an argument but there is nothing sub part about the camera on the phone. There are plenty of things you can do with it and the 13 megapixels allow you to take beautiful pictures in the dark and of course outside.

You're right about it having a cheap feel but you can't expect much with a plastic body.

If you look at any comparison shots done with the Lumia, One, and iPhone, it is always in fourth place. Maybe it is good enough for you, but it is sub par. You do not have to believe me. Just google the comparisons.

If you look at any comparison shots done with the Lumia, One, and iPhone, it is always in fourth place. Maybe it is good enough for you, but it is sub par. You do not have to believe me. Just google the comparisons.

have you ever saw them compared in person or are you only going by a pic online. You get the best results seeing them live, never go by what you see online. Because if that's what you're going by, there are several reviews that states the HTC one camera as sub par

What are you looking to get out of your phone. I have owned a iPhone 5 and now I have a s4.

Simplicty, camera (important), loading speeds. Don't know much about specs and what they what but I wouldn't mind better hardware. Also last but not least durable, cause I don't want to lose hundreds of dollars off of a single drop.

Simplicity, good camera and at least above average to excellent speed when it comes to loading stuff.

Start looking at prices of Andriod phones vs Iphones I don't know if you care about price but because there is so much competition now there are usually a really good phone on a good deal.

Yeah those phones that are in the top tier are pricier but it's more of a long term investment for me. I've had the phone I own now for at least 2 and 1/2 years. I don't plan on buying another phone anytime soon after this purchase.