Rise Of Julio

J-RoC770

He's leading the nfl in yards and tied with Julien Edlemen with receptions. Looks like Matty isn't targeting anyone else besides Julio this year. Gonzo dont even get the looks Ryan used to give him, and also Roddy on the field could catch but Ryan isnt targeting him also. Look for Julio to give Calvin Johnson a run for most receiving yards this year.

Edleman, who is tied for 1st with Julio, is averaging like 8 yards per reception so quite frankly it isn't even close. After watching him catch as many as he did against New York on TNF, it's hard to believe he doesn't have more. The scary part is, if we were smart enough to run a few fade routes near the endzone, Julio would have more receptions, yards, and more importantly, touchdowns. This is going to be the year in which people say "wow, hard to believe AJ Green was considered the better receiver going into the draft". Nothing against AJ, he'll end up being one of the best ever in my opinion, but Julio is in his own world. Only CJ81 comes close.

I love your enthusiasm, but be honest here. Julio is being force fed the ball due to lack of options. Roddy is gimpy, Tony is out of shape and playing sub par and Sjax is hurt.

Julio is a very good WR but hes no more special than AJ, DT, Dez, Etc...

and aj dez aren't forced the ball to?

No. Normally you have Witten and Austin taking a large portion of the passes.

Last year, AJ was force fed. This year, they are doing a much better job of involving Gresham, Eiffert and Sanu.

DT is sharing balls with J Thomas, Welker and Decker.

Due to injury's etc.. Julio is basically the only healthy option you have right now.

We have had this discussion many times and the #'s have been crunched.

No. Normally you have Witten and Austin taking a large portion of the passes.

Last year, AJ was force fed. This year, they are doing a much better job of involving Gresham, Eiffert and Sanu.

DT is sharing balls with J Thomas, Welker and Decker.

Due to injury's etc.. Julio is basically the only healthy option you have right now.

We have had this discussion many times and the #'s have been crunched.

to be fair only WR that should b in this discussion are AJ and possibly Dez. DT shoulsnt be in this convo. Miles Austin is always hurt and written is getting old. Teams are stopping AJ so Dalton isn't doin much with the ball. Teams aren't stopping Julio we just don't have a defense capable of stopping other teams like Cinncy.

to be fair only WR that should b in this discussion are AJ and possibly Dez. DT shoulsnt be in this convo. Miles Austin is always hurt and written is getting old. Teams are stopping AJ so Dalton isn't doin much with the ball. Teams aren't stopping Julio we just don't have a defense capable of stopping other teams like Cinncy.

Im not sure what you mean that only AJ and Dez should be in this conversation? are you saying that DT is not on the level with them, or are you saying that because Denver is healthy its a bad comparison to compare targets?

Teams were focusing on AJ the last 2 yeras. I don't think all of a sudden someone managed to figure out how to shut him down. I think Dalton is just getting more wise with his years and not forcing it into a double covered target as often and taking advantage of the other weapons around him.

Dez will be an interesting one to watch this week because the parrallel with you guys is uncanny. #2 WR is ailing. TE is getting a bit old. Only major difference is they have a healthy RB1.

The main reason for the improvement of Julio so far this year is both the fact that he has been the true #1 WR due to the injury of Roddy and that his hands have improved significantly. Julio is catching more passes thrown his way than the past 2 seasons. Roddy/Tony has helped him become a much better catcher of the football.

The main reason for the improvement of Julio so far this year is both the fact that he has been the true #1 WR due to the injury of Roddy and that his hands have improved significantly. Julio is catching more passes thrown his way than than the past 2 seasons. Roddy/Tony has helped him become a much better catcher of the football.

I agree. If my math is correct, he's catching nearly 77% of the balls thrown his way. Last year he was at 61% Granted we only have a 3 game sample, but it is already a marked improvement.

Edit: was 3% off on catch % this year.

Edited by Gsam

Im not sure what you mean that only AJ and Dez should be in this conversation? are you saying that DT is not on the level with them, or are you saying that because Denver is healthy its a bad comparison to compare targets?

Teams were focusing on AJ the last 2 yeras. I don't think all of a sudden someone managed to figure out how to shut him down. I think Dalton is just getting more wise with his years and not forcing it into a double covered target as often and taking advantage of the other weapons around him.

Dez will be an interesting one to watch this week because the parrallel with you guys is uncanny. #2 WR is ailing. TE is getting a bit old. Only major difference is they have a healthy RB1.

DT isn't as great as Dez Julio or AJ all three of them are top 10 WR DT is maybe top 15. And Ryan is actually spreading the ball kirk it's been stated I believe he has completed the ball to 8 different RB/WR/TE in 2of the first 3gms. Julio just is gettin the most work bit he is making use of all his catches. And ppl are shutting down AJ look vs GB he didn't do anything if I recall. I think week 2 or 1. Was similar

DT isn't as great as Dez Julio or AJ all three of them are top 10 WR DT is maybe top 15. And Ryan is actually spreading the ball kirk it's been stated I believe he has completed the ball to 8 different RB/WR/TE in 2of the first 3gms. Julio just is gettin the most work bit he is making use of all his catches. And ppl are shutting down AJ look vs GB he didn't do anything if I recall. I think week 2 or 1. Was similar

Gotta call you on this one bud:

2012:

Julio accounted for 21% of the team targets (129) He ended up with 79 catches on his 129 targets = catch % of 61%.

Julio is on pace to have 192 targets He is accounting for 30% of the total falcons passing attempts.

By comparison, Roddy white has only accounted for 8% of the falcons total passing attempts and Gonzo only 15%. In 2012 Roddy had 23% of team targets and Gonzo had 20%.

Are you seriously suggesting that Julio is not being force fed when the stats clearly show that Roddy and Gonzo's #'s clearly suggest otherwise.

Matt Ryan is NOT doing a better job of spreading the ball around either. In 2012 his top 3 targets had target %'s of 23%, 21% and 20%. IN 2013 his top 3 targets %'s are 30% (Julio) 15% 14% (gonzo and Douglas).

As for those of you who want to say DT doesn't belong in the coversation with Julio. You are flat out wrong.

Lets review:

2012 DT - 94 catches on 141 targets (66%) which is 5% better than Julio on more targets too. Average YPC for DT is 15.3. 1434 receiving yards and 60 1st downs. to go with his 10 TD's.

2012 JJ - 79 catches 129 attempts (61%) which is 5% worse than DT. YPC 15.2 and 1192 receiving yards.

2013 DT - 20 catches on 28 targets for 71% catch rate and 307 yards, 15.4 YPC and 2 TDs 78 yds is DT's long catch per year. So you can spare me the YAC argument for JJ. This was done on a 2 yard bubble screen completion.

2013 JJ - 28 catches on 36 targets for a 77% catch rate. 373 yards for 13.8 YPC. 2 TD's, 81 yard long completion.

(heres a fun fact also, Decker has 28 targets, Welker has 27 Targets, so all 3 WR's are getting nearly the same opportunities, unlike JJ who is being force fed and is 15% higher than the next highest targeted player on the team)

Julio is an amazing player. Don't discredit other players just because they don't wear a falcons jersey. Thats busch league.

Edited by Gsam